Dumbo the movie

Absolutely

1 Like

We saw it and really liked it!! Dumbo is my DS7’s favorite character, but he has never seen the original movie. And we never watched it because I was afraid he wouldn’t like it. He was so excited to go see this movie and although it’s not our favorite, it was definitely good and Dumbo is still his favorite character!

I also loved the “Baby Mine” song. Makes me think of Beaches…another movie I love!

I’m 99% sure we are watching this tonight. I had to look up this thread to recall what was shared here. I love the trailer. The family is doing lots of yard work today so this is our plan for a family evening.

I enjoyed this movie a great deal!

Agreed

Yes!!! This was so nicely included.
I’m so far behind.
I need to see Aladdin now, too.

1 Like

If you liked this you’ll love Aladdin and then Lion King, and of course TS4 but that’s not a remake

Much as I enjoyed it in the end it turned out to be the weakest of them! So look forward to the rest!

1 Like

I did get to see TS4.
One out of four. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Now THAT made me cry.
I feel like I missed another one this summer that I wanted to see…

1 Like

I’ve pretty much (intentionally) missed most of the live action remakes. I did see Jungle Book which was OK, and BatB which was also OK, but in neither case did I like the remake better than the original. I liked Maleficent, but that was more of a retelling of the story from a different perspective than an actual remake. I’ll probably catch Lion King and Aladdin on video, but Dumbo just holds no interest for me.

When we get to Snow White, how creepy will it be for a 16 year old girl to shack up with 7 old men with long beards and poor hygiene? Or the PG-13 version of Pinocchio where he and Lampwick smoke cigars and get drunk. And the agonizing transformation of young boys into donkeys right out of American Werewolf in London…

Most “fairy tales”, when taken literally, are pretty horrific - but cute cartoon characters make them more palatable. Remove the “cute” and you have stories that would scare the crap out of most kids…

1 Like

I think they need to cool it on the remakes for a while. too many

1 Like

Absolutely. We have a children’s museum in town and they have a section on books come to life and they have panels that you slide back and forth to compare the sweet versions to the originals. :expressionless::expressionless::grimacing:

100%

I loved Maleficent. I probably watched it three times, I enjoyed it so much.
The second one doesn’t look like one I need to see, however.

1 Like

Yes, they will have to update these problematic scenes! Not to drop a spoiler, but they changed the Dumbo-gets-drunk basis for the Pink bubble elephants to preserve the pink elephants but lose the unfortunate storyline of a baby getting drunk! I would guess they will do the same with your examples!

2 Likes

It’s worse than that. Snow White is 14.

2 Likes

This review website is definitely not for everyone, and isn’t really up my alley, but it may be something you wish to check out. It highlights certain aspects of each movie (sexual content, violence, and religious/spiritual content, etc.)

I used Plugged In exclusively for almost 10 years, but recently have migrated over to Movieguide.org. I’m always happy to know the spoilers if it helps me make a better decision for my kids. :slight_smile: