Dumbo the movie

:elephant:

I haven’t heard anyone talk about this movie! We just came back from seeing it and we all four thought it was well done!

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think??

1 Like

I haven’t seen it, but nothing in the trailers, nor anything I’ve read or heard about has made me want to see it. Maybe on video - or not…

1 Like

I thought it was charming. I have definitely suggested it to others with the caveat that it is Dumbo - no one’s favorite Disney movie is Dumbo, nor is this going to be anyone’s favorite live action remake. But it is magic and beautiful.

My only real complaint is that I spent the whole time worrying about that cute little elephant, which just proves I’m not read for live-action Mufasa death.

2 Likes

I’m going to see it tomorrow. I have been slow to warm up to the new live action style but I think it looks beautiful and I’m a big Tim Burton fan so we will see. I am really looking forward to the Lion King in June!

2 Likes

I thought about it, but the reviews were so awful.

Also, I can’t stand seeing any kind of animal suffering — the WDW Finding Nemo snow traumatised me — and I suspect bad things happen to Dumbo in the movie.

1 Like

There is a bit of that, yes.

Lion King in July, not June! Too many dates to remember these days.

1 Like

But first -

Aladdin on 5/24! :genie:

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was awful, but I don’t really have a desire to see it again. Too much of a downer for me.

I haven’t seen them yet, but the live action movies really are coming out one after another. Can’t believe they had all of these in production at once!

Funny enough, I did not get pulled to tears, or even nearly so, once in this movie. I expected to blubber such that I brought a pack of tissues. And I’m on edge recently so that I didn’t cry amazes me.

I guess I focused so much more on the uplifting themes. Believing in oneself, good over evil, all that.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a lie.

Well, it sure does feel like that sometimes.

You just need a little faith, trust, and pixie dust.

(insert political commentary here)

1 Like

Dumbo is one of my all time favorite movies along with my Mom. I wanted to see it but my Mom beat me to it, she was not impressed at all. She said it was ok but that I should wait till it comes out on DVD. So being a good boy who is saving up for Disney anyway I’m waiting.

1 Like

I loved how they worked in the Baby Mine song, I loved that one part was cut out entirely, and I loved how they reworked another part so that it was more appropriate.

2 Likes

I very much want to see it.
I’ve just had trouble getting to a matinee.
Do you think a tender 9yo and feisty 6 yo can handle it?

I’m glad there were positive/happy moments, but the negative ones (especially innocent animals being harmed) outweighed them for me unfortunately.

My 7 & 6 year olds loved it. My 6 year struggles if a live action movie is slow or long but Dumbo carried her attention better than any other she’s been to, prob bc there were children as main characters.

1 Like

Thank you!!!
Were there scary parts?
Both loved Mary Poppins Returns. I think they can be engaged, but the 9 yo does get scared.

IThere’s a fire scene and any kind of dramatic representation of fire is scary to my kids. There was one other scene in the “Nightmare Island” section of the big old circus where there was about a minute of scary scenes but you quickly see that not all is what it seems & my kids never mentioned being scared. They were much more scared of the fire.

ETA: Both of mine loved Mary Poppins returns as well & the 7 yr old loved it so much we took him a second time (the 6 yr old declined as she wasn’t willing to sit through it a 2nd time & tho she loved it she was a little restless).

2 Likes