DS2 afraid of characters ... suggestions?

So last fall my then DS1 and DD3 loved meeting all the characters. We were surprised that DS1 was so interested and not afraid. My DD4 is very excited to meet them all again our upcoming fall trip (and recently told me she is adding the Incredibles and Wreck it Ralph to the list of who she wants to meet).

Well, we were at a water park resort last weekend that had animal characters (elephant, monkey, lion) for the kids to meet at the resort. DD4 loved it! DS2, however, was terrified (much different reaction than when he was 13 months old at WDW last fall).

If this past weekend was any indication, it will be challenging to balance DD4 wanting to focus on meeting characters and DS2 being terrified.

How did you get your scared kids to try a meet and greet?

It may be easier with a character they know and have a “relationship” with. It’s much easier saying Hi! to your friend Mickey or Goofy than a random Elephant or Monkey.

At least take DS2 with you to M&G with DD4. Maybe once DS2 sees a M&G or two they’ll warm up. At worst, don’t force it. There’s always next time.

4 Likes

I agree, maybe just the “animal” was scary when a relatable character may not be. Maybe show him videos of the characters on your list and ask him if he would like to meet them in person. At the end of the day, i would just let him hang back if hes not comfortable. Let him wave from afar.

4 Likes

I’m hoping that is the case. Since the weekend I have bene talking to him about meeting Mickey. I asked him if he wants to meet Mickey and he said yes. And then he said. “And Goofy” “And Donald” “And Daisy” … so that gives me hope. But, wow, he was terrified over the weekend and was screaming “No meet elephant. No meet elephant”.

He will be just under 2 y/o for our trip which I suspect is a challenging age for meeting characters … only enough to know enough to be scared but too young to really get it.

DD4 on the other hand has already figured out that the characters are not real due to “different faces” on the Cinderella she met in the Castle vs the Cinderella at the meet and great. We has been hoping to keep up her belief for at least a couple more years!

3 Likes

Some kids are really just afraid of the non-face characters and even then, like mine, they can be extremely shy.

Something that may help - give them a way to interact without having to get too close - a fist bump from a distance, or handing them the autograph book. You can talk them through the fist bump and even model it showing how you can keep a distance. You could also play a silly game from a distance: peek-a-boo with Mickey, acting like a dog with Pluto (again, maybe being on your kids level and modeling it).

It’s a healthy fear, so respect it and then see if you can get a small fun interaction going!

Of course if they run away screaming then it’s a bit tough. I’ve had that one too…I might bring a pretend camera and let them take “pictures” of their sibling with the character if I was really worried about that.

3 Likes

Good thought.
Start with a character like Tinkerbell and see if that flies.

1 Like

My
Almost two year old wouldn’t go near, her favorites- Mickey Minnie. But would go up to the face characters all the princesses.

1 Like

My kids only liked characters with faces (princes and princesses) until they were older. We had a character breakfast at Goofy’s Kitchen in DLR when he was just 2. He was okay with Jasmine and Aladdin but cried so hard when Goofy came around that he threw up his breakfast! And he had chocolate milk with his breakfast! :face_vomiting: We were in a store, he peeked out and saw Mickey.
He yelled for Mickey to go away!! Later that day, he wanted to take his picture with Ariel after she spun around in her shell. Ariel was tickled as red as her hair. She commented that very few boys wanted a picture with her. DLR also has McQueen, Mater, Red, and others for character greeting in Carsland. DD at 2 loved them. DD loved all characters at 4 and couldn’t get enough of them; DS, not until he was almost 6.

So, respect your child’s fear and his need to cling to you. Treasure those precious moments, even when they are inconvenient, frustrating, and/or annoying. They grow up fast enough and become fearless. Both of my kids became addicted to big and scary roller coasters by the time they were 8. By the time they were 16 and 14, we would drop them off at Magic Mountain for the day and DH and I would enjoy other tame activities.

1 Like

I see what you did there…:+1:

3 Likes

Poor thing! On a solo trip to DLR I had breakfast at the Plaza. Happy kids taking adorable pictures with all the characters, except one girl wailing in her parents’ arms. However, no one threw up…

1 Like

I like this idea. We will try it!

1 Like

I don’t find it frustrating or annoying. My only concern is how to best balance the stuff he enjoys against the stuff his sister enjoys (ie meet and greets) without taking away from either of their experiences. But I suppose that will always be an to some degree issue with multiple kids …

I agree. Neither of kids will go near Santa or the Easter bunny so I was worried. They just couldn’t stop hugging the Disney characters.

2 Likes

I was lucky, my kids loved them all. Didnt do many meet n greets though. They didnt like waiting, liked the rides more, lol

1 Like

My DD2 (2 at the time) was very afraid when we saw our first ever characters, Tigger and Pooh. But she warmed up to the idea and was fine the rest of the week long trip.

1 Like

Talking about it probably helps prepare him. But he is a toddler and toodlers are not always logical or willing to work with you. Play it by ear, see how he does. Every child is different. Or if there are two adults, you can divide and conquer. We have done that.

2 Likes

Before you go, dig out your photos from your last trip. Print them, if they’re not printed. And spend some time looking at them with DS and remind him of all the fun he had visiting his Disney friends.

I also love the toy camera idea.

1 Like

Very true! Although I would say people aren’t logical because I know some adults that aren’t any more logical than my toddler!

2 Likes

Great idea! We have photos of him with each of the characters at Chef Mickey’s and most of the Princesses.

:joy::joy: You are so right!