Droid depot: carrying the droid

So If I reserve on Droid Depot early in the morning, Does that mean I will be carrying the droid the whole day? And, Will I have to look over it from getting stolen? Thanks.

Are you staying on site? I know they can send it back to your hotel for you. Or another option is you can have it sent up to the front of the park for pickup, I believe at Guest Relations. They did this for me at Animal Kingdom. You just needed to make sure you allow at least two hours for it to get there.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread to check to see what everyone does now with the droids? Are these two options still available: 1 - sending to the front of the park for pick up, 2 - sending back to on-site hotel? (we are staying on-site)

Would love to know. I had a reservation made but was unsure about whether we’d do it, but after watching some YouTube videos on the process I think it’s going to be a highlight (surprise) for my kids.

oops, didn’t realize this was originally a Disneyland thread!

Well, I can contribute based on what we did in August at HS.

First, we booked a time slot where we were pretty much done for the day anyhow. I took my DS10 to do Droid Depot while the rest of the family was off elsewhere. After we were done building his droid, he carried it in the big droid carrying box, although I carried it for him some of the time since it is rather large and awkward when you are kind of short. They do sell a backpack designed to carry it as well, but we didn’t spend the money on it.

Keep in mind that if you have them ship it to the front of the park or whatever, you can’t use your droid to do some of the interactive stuff in SWGE, if you want to do that.

1 Like

I read recently that you can send stuff to the front of the park for same-day pick-up, or send back to your resort if you will be there the next full day / night. I think that is still in effect.

How did I not know this was a thing! Ugh.

We did ours end of the night and went right back to the room. I also saw Randall was saying there was some interactive stuff as well. So bummed we missed it even though we spent so much time in there. (DLR only version)

WDW and DLR, if you are staying onsite (before covid) you could send packages to the front of the park or to your hotel room. I’ve sent a ton of packages to the front for guests as a CM and used the direct to room a lot as a DVC owner. They would send the packages to a store in my resort and I’d head down to pick it up at my convenience(ish), you do have to pick it up the following day during whatever the store hours are, but you can ask what the policy changes are since I did all of that pre-covid.

There are also decent-sized lockers throughout the parks that I love for storing sweaters and other stuff along the day we pick up. Those lockers replaced my lugging around a purse or stroller once my DS was old enough. I like this option better because the fees are close to similar IIRC and the lockers would give me access to play with the droid in the interactive setting, which I just found I could do, and still put it away for when I go throughout the parks.

:edit: There’s another option as well, they can also ship to your home from the store. I did that as a CM a few times as well.

:Edit to my edit: Once I even went to the UPS store in the Contemporary hotel and shipped my junk home on the last day of our trip so it was there right after we got back.

3 Likes

We got the backpack…easy peasy. And we even took him on Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller Coaster in the backpack.

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

In my head I’m hearing “WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” in the cute droid squeals. Like when they’re going into hyperdrive!

5 Likes

thanks everyone. I definitely want to take advantage of the GE interactive part. I didn’t realize that existed. I currently have two reservations: a 1pm on a day we were planning to leave the park afterwards, but we could hang around a bit for the interaction (but, afternoon crowds and heat :flushed:). Or, a 4:20 pm on our last full day where we would arrive late to HS and stay for an after park closing dining reservation (based on current hours, subject to change), so there would be time to tour GE after park closing (does the interactive stuff stop when the park closes?). I’m leaning towards the 4:20 but will hold onto both until the week of just in case our plans change.

1 Like

I dont’ think they are sending things back to resorts right now but I read (somewhere) they resumed sending packages to the front of the park

1 Like

I think this is actually the most important question then.

Since I didn’t know it existed, I don’t have the answer. I would expect it shuts down because they want people to start moving towards the front of the park, but I could totally be wrong.