Do your park tickets get scanned in at Downtown Disney Monorail? Trying to think of ways to get checked into park earlier to get a LL sooner

We are staying at the Disneyland hotel. Do you park tickets get scanned in when you first board the monorail into DLR or do they get scanned in when you arrive in the tomorrowland station? We want to grab lunch at our hotel or Grand Californian hotel on our arrival day but I would love to be able to scan into the park to grab my first LL while we eat. My thoughts is can I scan into the monorail station so I am checked into the park and then just walk back out to Downtown Disney and book my LL? My other idea is if we eat at Grand Californian hotel is to use the back entrance into the park and get scanned in and then just walk back into the hotel so I can book our LL. Does this sound doable for either option?

Thanks!

1 Like

Park tickets do get scanned at the monorail entrance. There should not be any issue with scanning in and exiting quickly, BUT you will need to make sure that you don’t try to scan in anywhere else in a short period of time.

Unknown exactly for sure how many minutes would need to pass, but definitely 5-15 min. would set off a red flag that requires a supervisor/lead to sign off on your re-entry and potentially show proof of ID if you haven’t yet taken a picture. There were(possibly still are) a percentage of people who would pass off their ticket/annual pass in the esplanade to sneak people in without paying for another ticket. And of their guardrails to prevent it is that red flag. So just be aware of that for your plan. In case you decide to eat inside the parks after scanning in for that LL.

3 Likes

I’m not positive, but I think everyone you want to book a LL for will need to scan in. Not just you. Just fyi if that was your plan.

2 Likes

Definitely a good callout. Yes everyone who will be getting an LL needs to be scanned in.

2 Likes

I guess if your ticket is on your phone you could do that without exiting or doing a hand-off. :thinking: That’s why they take photos, I guess.

2 Likes

Oh yes, the photos were definitely a byproduct of all the ticket fraud. My dad’s ex-girlfriend told DH & I about her experience with it in the 80’s and the way she talked about it was so common like everyone did it. One of her best friends lived in SoCal & had a pass and when dad’s ex-gf would go for vacation with her 3 kids, she would just meet her friend at the esplanade and get her pass and use it as if she was her.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the info. We would exit and then not return for awhile. This seems like a great strategy …my hubby thought of this one. This probably gains us an additional LL to use. Return times are much better at 11am than 1pm. So you can book a LL without technically being inside the park gates as long as your ticket has been scanned in at the monorail entrance?

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. It’s just 3 of us so we do plan on being together but that’s great info

1 Like

Correct. Once you’ve scanned into any park entrance, you can book LLs in both parks for the rest of the day even if you exit.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

1 Like