DME Luggage Pickup and Delivery Experience

Actually I think they go on a luggage transport that is just transporting bags. More efficient as they can lump a few hours worth of flights together if needed for efficiency.

2 Likes

They don’t go on a DME bus at all. MCO staff pick up the bags before they reach the carousel, gather them together and they all get sent on later. Not sure if it’s Mears who deliver them to a central depot at WDW or another company.

That’s why it can take a while to get the bags to you.

Only the bags that people collect themselves and take with them to the coach go on the coach.

As I said though, using it as a luggage service carries a small risk.

2 Likes

I’ve used them MDE a bunch of times with no issues but this is the first trip we are getting in late. We land at 9pm, did they knock on the door or call the room at 5AM?

I would get my own bags for any flight landing 6:30’or later because I don’t want to be awakened in the middle of the night for bags.

6 Likes

We waited and waited and then they called at maybe 1 or 2 am to tell us they had our luggage At that point we asked them to bring it at 5am because we were doing EMM that day and would have to be up early anyway. It was definitely our fault for not realizing the delay in our arrival at resort vs. luggage arrival at the resort! I agree with @OBNurseNH and in the future for evening flights will always grab my own bags.

3 Likes

They definitely knocked on our door at 3AM when our bags finally arrived…but that’s because we asked them to…we did not plan on our bags being that late. I agree with @OBNurseNH (fellow New Englander here…glad you got out before the storm!) that the later your arrival…you’re better just grabbing them yourself.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! DS20 will have his Disney vacay items in carry-ons.

His main luggage consists of everything else he has at college. He’s coming straight after finals with most of his things for the summer. Some items he can keep in storage at school. So he won’t need his checked luggage right away at all, we just want to be sure he gets it eventually.

We’d like to pick him up at the airport around 9:30 am and commence Disney-ing as soon as possible since he’ll be arriving later than the rest of the family. If the checked luggage can find its way to our room by itself, :wink: that would be awesome!

We can also transport the bags, it just takes more time and delays the Disney fun for him so if there’s an alternative that would be terrific. Thanks!

Maybe if they lost it I wouldn’t have to wash it. :rofl:
He’ll have the really important things with him on the plane.

Really? That many times? I would have never guessed… :wink:

1 Like

We have a joker here! :wink:

We have used the service at least 20 times with no problems.

So I changed my flight to a day earlier in the morning. I called and updated my flight into and they told me I could still use the yellow tags just change the date. Have you had any experience with this…should I be concerned?

The tags are fine. They just tell the luggage people where it goes. It has no flight information on it whatsoever. You’re all set!!

1 Like

So it turns out my fears were justified. I was worried about luggage being lost by using the yellow tags, and that is exactly what happened. I had five pieces of yellow-tagged luggage and only four made it to my room. I spent nearly four hours with the Pop Century Concierge and their Luggage Handling Department trying to track down my missing luggage. They had me go through the whole process of filing a missing luggage report only to discover that Pop Century had the missing bag the whole time. They just failed to deliver it to my room. Having gone through that, I refused to use their Airline Check-in and drop my bags off for my departure flight. Instead on my check-out day, since my flight was not until later that evening, I decided to drop my bags at their Luggage Handling Department to hold until it was time for me to depart on DME back to the airport. Once again, Pop Century misplaced one of my bags and brought me someone else’s bag in it’s place. After a good 25-30 minutes of looking, they asked me to go into the luggage storage room to see if I could find it. I found it within two minutes. Two mess-ups in one trip does not instill any confidence in me for using their service in the future. It will be a pain in the butt collecting my own luggage at the airport next time, but at least I know I’ll get all my luggage (barring any mistake by the airport).

This honestly is really more of a POP problem then a luggage delivery problem. The luggage wasn’t lost - it was delivered to the correct resort. It was just handled incorrectly by POP. I don’t think you can blame the yellow tag system for this.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter the resort. The thing is, I was skeptical of using the yellow tag system in the first place, and it proved to be the reason a piece of my luggage went missing/was misplaced. Had I collected my bags from the airport like my gut was telling me to do, I would have had all my luggage, none of the frustration, and not lost nearly four hours of park/resort time looking for it.