Disneyland Restaurants

Heya! what are your recommendations for Restaurants (table, or otherwise) in DL that have good experiences or immersions. (Besides character experiences.) Examples at WDW include: Space 220, the drive-in one & the TV one where your waiters are like nagging-aunts.

Are there restaurants that are in DL that have that sorta stuff? (Hotels & DTD included.)

TIA!

1 Like

The only restaurant that comes close to the level of being an experience is the Princess Brunch at Napa Rose. It’s entirely worth the gigantic splurge for a princess fan, maybe even twice, but it is a very unique and has quite a price tag so unless you have a gigantic budget and huge princess fans, it’s a skip.

But immersion and ambiance are things done quite well a quite a few DL restaurants:

• Blue Bayou (Table Service) is probably the most immersive being inside Pirates (it’s similar to San Angel Inn but with a quiet bayou of Pirates next to you instead of the Mexico Pavilion).
  • Lamplight Lounge (Table Service & also has a lounge area that has a different menu) is my favorite (the fantastic menu here also helps). I prefer outside for the views of the lagoon and just soaking in the atmosphere of Incredicoaster, the wheel and off in the distance the smaller pier rides running. But inside is chalk full of really fun Pixar memorabilia from the studios with artwork, models and just fun little almost easter eggs everywhere.
  • Cozy Cones (quick service) or outside patio of Flo’s (also quick service) facing the Radiator Springs Racers Ride- you could sit down anywhere on a bench or table in Carsland with any snack or meal and really feel immersed in the universe of Radiator Springs on Route 66 because they did such a good job with the whole land that it really feels as if you’re in the movie, but these are the specific places that have food and scenery that is especially good. (Cozy Cone with a view of the whole Route 66 passing you by and all the store fronts and the back patio of Flo’s with views of the cars of the ride racing around Willy’s Butte just like the movie).
  • Pym’s Lab (quick service) - to a less degree than Carsland, but still cool for fans of Marvel, Avengers Campus puts you among the superheros. It’s fun to eat where you have a view of the HQ building (with the giant quinjet) and that whole plaza in front of it- you’ll spot many Avengers & universe characters casually interacting, doing meet & greets or performing shows as you eat.
  • San Fransokyo pier- This was recently redone to have a Big Hero 6/San FranSokyo theme (was previously only San Fran in the real world) and the re-theme was well done. It’s puts some fun little touches that make you feel like you’re eating in Baymax & Hiro’s hometown. There’s several eateries all in that little plaza and some of the best options in DCA too. The only downside is the seating here is so limited for how popular it is so it’s hard to get a spot, especially a shaded one in the midday when the heat just directly boils you right next to the water).
  • Ronto Roasters (quick service) - one of our favorite things to eat in DLR is the breakfast Ronto wraps and I’ve always loved the seating around Ronto Roasters and there are so many characters that roam that walkway in Galaxy’s Edge, including, if you’re lucky, droids or the Star Wars baby that took the world by storm.
  • Oga’s Cantina (lounge, reservations recommended) - it’s the same as WDW’s immersing you into a Star Wars universe cantina and if you’re a fan, a very cool experience. We have only done it the once in WDW and it was likely a one & done for us as it was overstimulating and we weren’t fans of being at a standing table (or being squished tight into a booth with strangers to have a seat). But it is immersive, so I included for completeness.

And then there are others that just have nice ambiance that isn’t necessarily immersive, but is very relaxing or beautiful:

• Cafe Orleans (Table service)- I love dining with the views of the Rivers of America right there and you can get the DL-famous Monte Cristo sandwich. But they do have inside seats also available which aren’t as good, so I would request an outdoor table specifically. Also, if the Cafe Orleans menu isn’t your jam, there’s also River Belle Terrace (also a table services that has indoors seats that you could be sat so wouldn’t get the views). But you can also get views of the Rivers of America eating at the Harbor Galley tables, the edge tables around Tiana’s Palace, Stage Door Cafe or there’s even a small/almost hidden raised dock-looking area right next to the Turkey leg cart across from the Big Thunder entrance that has a small handful of tables (and is usually roped off & closed early in the mornings or later at night so is only an option midday or so).
  • Carthay Circle (table service)- the outside is a replica of the the real-life theater that premiered Snow White & the Seven Dwarves in 1937 and the interior is decorated with the glitz and glam of early Hollywood with some fun nods & memorabilia to that era of Walt Disney’s career & work. And they have a few outside tables that overlook the main little hub of DCA (with a beautiful fountain in the middle where many characters will meet around & some street performances take place so a fun little atmosphere).
  • Jolly Holiday (quick service) and select tables at Plaza Inn (buffet “table” service for breakfast converts to quick service at lunch & dinner)- Puts right at the hub with the Castle with Main Street vehicles running back & forth, the DL band and any character cavalcades that accompany them down Main St. (the better views are from Jolly Holiday as Plaza Inn has some taller foilage around so most tables don’t have a great view, but you can get a decent view that includes Astro Orbiter & the castle together, from some on the Tomorrowland side of Plaza Inn).
  • Tropical Hideaway (quick service) the seating here literally has a view of the end of the Jungle Cruise ride & docks and the atmosphere here is just very adventureland through & through, so very nice to eat.
6 Likes

All great places to dine.

2 Likes

I just realized I forgot my favorite place to eat/be/relax in Galaxy’s Edge. Outside of Docking Bay 7, on the overlook to Millenium Falcon, there’s a few tables right there at the edge and if time were no object, I would spend as much time as I can stand to sit, watching/listening to the Millenium Falcon & hoping for Chewy to show up. We’ve enjoyed a Blue Milk or Ronto Roaster down that way. And it’s a popular spot for us to hide out from crowds in the evening shows if we’re not in the mood to deal with crowds, but still want to stay in the parks.

1 Like

Thanks for this list!!!

1 Like

Lolabear obviously nailed it. The one I would add is Carnation Cafe. Similar to Jolly Holiday and Plaza Inn, an outside table immerses you in Disneyland.

And that kind of highlights the two big differences in dining experiences between the two coasts. At DLR, outside dining is huge and a big part of the immersion is being immersed in Disneyland itself.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, another difference is the QS quality is generally much better at DLR.

And a few other recommended spots to sit…
Hungry Bear - upstairs has a nice view of Rivers of America.
Harbour Galley - the relatively new Pelican’s Landing area also provides a nice river view.
Refreshment Corner - limited menu but piano player outside.

2 Likes

The food is not the star here, but I kind of love Red Rose Tavern in Fantasyland for it’s theming. This is a Beauty and the Beast theme (think Gaston) and sometimes you might even see Gaston inside! We were eating near the fireplace one day when we looked up to see Gaston admiring himself in the mirror. I said, “Gaston!” And he said, “You’re welcome,” as he passed us to exit to the park. :joy: It’s nice if you’re looking for an indoor dining place, or if the kids need a flat bread, or if you just want some gray stuff!

2 Likes

Nothing is as immersive as eating Walt’s Chili with a view of main street. During our trips other restaurants come and go, but a visit to Carnation is always on our list. My son always gets the Chili, which is great as it’s one of the more inexpensive meals in DL.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I forgot Carnation!! I love me a bowl of Walt’s Chili, fried pickles and then sharing whatever entree DH & I feel like most. And it’s very simple immersion, but perfection & we’ve always had the most excellent service there. Everytime.

1 Like