Disneyland Paris - need help

Can’t say I found any Philly Cheese Steaks at DLP. The Philly cheesesteak question is @Tigger613, do you eat them with whiz or without? I agree the steampunk theme is incredible in Tomorrowland! I wish they’d add that theming to WDW. Tomorrowland is hopefully going to get the facelift it deserves sooner than later.

@Disneydaddio I am impressed with you understanding of proper steak ordering!!!

So not to get off topic - for anyone interested - Pats and Geno’s both SUCK - the only time you go there is when you are drunk. However - having gone to college in Philly - I would order my steaks “wit wihz widdout” - yes that is spelled properly. It means cheesesteak with cheese wiz cheese and withOUT onions".

To properly eat them though you need to take a strattled stance with elbows way out - so the grease doesn’t drip down you arms. Anyway - WELCOME TO PHILLY!!!

So is it really worth staying on site or are the off sites ok. I am thinking we may train out in the evening - stay - do the parks and then either stay another night or move on. Not quite sure. I would like to be there in the evening. Is it worth getting up early on the train do the park and then train back into Paris? We did that a lot in London - but it wasn’t late at night - suggestions welcomed.

1 Like

@Tigger613 Next time I’m in Philly, I’ll need to get your advice on where to get a good Philly Cheese Steak. I’m quite sure Pats and Geno’s are the only ones I’ve had. Seemed good to me - but I’ll take your word for it. I’m sure its much like Poutine. Once you’ve had a really good Poutine, it’s impossible to eat the fast food versions anymore.

If I was doing an overnight at DLP I’d stay at the Disneyland Hotel. Sitting right at the park entrance and the VIP early entry and front of the line passes, you’d easily be able to do both parks in two days, and then be able to move on to other stuff in Paris. I think it would be worth the money.

I also found this article which I think would help you decide. Seems like there’s many good choices. Best hotels near Disneyland Paris | Telegraph Travel

THANK YOU!!! I think it will all come down to what the total cost of the trip is and our options based on that. Also, even though my wife suggested we do DLP - I need to keep in mind that she wants to be there minimally. So but thank you so much!!!

I’m a huge Disney fan…as I’m sure most people are on this forum, but I still have a tough time carving out more than a day for DLP when so much awaits in Paris. It’s different in Orlando, and Anaheim when Disney is the best cultural and entertaining thing to do with my time. (I’m sure I’ll get flack for saying that…) It’s still worth a visit for a big Disney fan. Please post a trip report when you’re back. :slight_smile:

Hey - so can you provide some insight into the fast pass situation. I envision it as how WDW used to do it with paper passes etc. And basically you get one at a time.

However for the HOTEL and VIP Fastpass - the website wasn’t 100% clear - or I’m just as slow as many people have suggested

VIP - seems to be unlimited - I go from ride to ride as many times as I wish and get FastPass access (very similar to how Universal does express pass)

HOTEL - I don’t really get the difference between what HOTEL and VIP is? Can someone please explain

Not going to lie, didn’t read all the suggestions, but here is my “short” list for Paris. Sorry if there are some repeats!:

1. The Orangerie - super overlooked museum right in the gardens by the Louvre and the Musee D’Orsay. This museum is home to Monet’s giant waterlilies (in the upstairs galleries) and to assortment of other impressionist masterpieces downstairs. I highly suggest going in the morning because you might get the waterlilies all to yourself.
  2. The Louvre - obviously go, but I recommend checking out Rick Steve’s audio tour with map to be less overwhelmed. https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/paris I used that as a starting point and then just had a few places I diverted. Don’t forget to look behind you when visiting the Mona Lisa. The painting opposite is much more impressive (in my opinion).
  3. Obviously don’t miss the D’Orsay
  4. If you are a bookworm, make sure to visit Shakespeare and Company near Notre Dame (visit Notre Dame too). It is an English bookstore in Paris that has been there since the days of Hemingway. Wander the framed shelves, checkout the notes left to and from traveler’s that are posted along the walls upstairs. Type on one of Hemingway’s typewriters and, if you have a musician in your family, tinker on the piano. One of my favorite spots.
  5. My favorite way to visit the Eiffel Tower is with a baguette, some cheese and a bottle of wine. Find a spot in a park and just enjoy the view.
  6. Visit Montmarte - check out the Sacre Coeur and then visit the nearby square… To get to the square head to the left (direction based on standing in front of Sacre Coeur facing the cathedral). The square is full of artists and restaurants. However, my favorite little eatery is across the square (if you were to go diagonally from where you entered). Go out of the square slightly and there is a delicious little restaurant with a terrace, wine, cheese and all things French and yummy.
  7. Luxembourg gardens are lovely and a great place to have a bite to eat.
  8. The Marmottan is also a lovely art museum (you can see where my priorities are) that is much less popular with tourists. Has some beautiful lesser known impressionist work that was part of a private collection.

Outside of Paris

1. Versailles, as a I saw someone mention above, is a wonderful day trip and a beautiful house and gardens.
  2. My favorite (because I love Monet) is a side trip to Giverny. You take the train to Vernon and then can either rent bikes and ride bikes to Giverny (talk about picturesque) or take the bus/shuttle. In Giverny you can see a lovely little church, Monet’s house and beautiful gardens, and get a delicious lunch at the creperie just down the road. It is a little touristy but has maintained its charm.
  3. If you have a chance to visit Normandie, take it. A bit further away, obviously, but it was a truly poignant experience. I did not expect to go (a friend I met offered to take me), but it was a really interesting experience to visit Omaha Beach and the American military cemetery there.

Have an amazing time. Paris is absolutely beautiful. Culturally, I know the French sometimes get a bad wrap for being rude, but really if you learn a few words of French and approach with apologies for not speaking French in France, they really are just lovely.

Oh two more random tips. Eat steak tartare with fries (you can get it at literally any cafe you go to)… yum!!! (one day we’ll figure out how to make it right in America) and eat escargot. Also yum!

1 Like

Thank you so much!! Our neighbor also suggested the Orangerie. This sounds SO PERFECT. We are still early stages so not exactly sure which directions we will take outside of Paris - have serious thoughts on Normandie and also Mont Saint-Michel. You described everything so wonderfully. I Love the thoughts on a bike ride in Giverny. Please keep the suggestions coming. We are planning probably 10 days total.

Totally agree with the proper expectations - have several family members who have gone several times - just show an interest in attempting French and people are welcoming. LOVE escargot and steak tartare - so look forward to getting them the way they were meant to be done!!

1 Like

one more food - make sure to get macaroons at Laduree on the Champs Elysee :slight_smile:

Love Macaroons!!! Will keep that in mind for sure.

1 Like

I know this is an old question but hopefully you still want advice! If you have a car, I highly suggest staying at the Marriott in Marne Valle. (I know I spelled that wrong). It is beautiful yet affordable. Each room is actually a condo with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room etc. We lived in Belgium and over the course of 4 years we went to DLP 13 times. We stayed at many locations but this one was the best. It is about 15 minutes from DLP/train station, grocery store, mall. You get the idea.

DLP is so much fun! It’s a 2 day park but you could cram it all in if you had to. Pin trading is fun because not a lot of kids do it. Walt’s has great food in MK. There was a Buffet in HS that wasn’t too bad too. The downtown Disney area has an Earl of Sandwich and a nice steakhouse. Don’t go to the bbq restaurant. The rides are great. When we were there the fast passes worked just like the old system at WDW. There are lots of covered walkways and indoor areas to keep you out of inclement weather since it gets really cold there in the winter.

thank you very much!! Nope still relevant as we haven’t booked yet - so any additional tips are welcomed @Trip27

Just back from DLP. I’d stay on site - much easier than driving, plus early magic hours. If staying on site try the Empire State Club in New York hotel, the Golden Forrest in Sequieo or the Compass Club in Newport Bay. These offer breakfast on the floor and hotel fast passes (one ride per person per day). We found these really useful.

2 days is a push. Studios can be done easily in 4-5 hours if you move fast and start in early magic hours. The main park will take longer, I’d day 1 full on day at least.

@craigbarr. So how does that fast pass work? do you get an extra SINGLE fast pass per person to use ONCE on a single ride?

We will be maxing out at 1 day in the parks - perhaps 1 1/2 depending on when we arrive / leave. So many other things we want to see in France - but figured this would be a fun day for the kids

The hotel fast pass is one per person per day - so sadly only one ride (assuming you all go on) per day. Can’t use between 1pm and 4pm. Basically just lets you use the fastpass queue without having to get a ticket beforehand.

To be honest, depending when you go there will only be a handful of rides that you’ll need it. Thunder mountain, Buzz and Ratatouille. You can do Ratatouille during early magic hours.

@craigbarr - cool - so you only get one extra fast pass by staying on site.

Other than that the fastpasses work the the way they used to in WDW. You get a paper one, you use it, you get another once etc

Yep, scan park tickets at the fastpass machines next to the ride, get time then return at the time. Can only have one at a time.

There are not too many rides with fastpass, but is useful.

Note there is also someone on ebay selling VIP fastpasses - I have used in the past and worked fine.

Everyone - so THANK YOU for your help. At the moment booked at Newport Bay for June 14 - 16. Ironic as it is very similar to the architecture near my home - oh well.

So my question is - on the first day we get to Disneyland - we want to do something in the area that is NOT Disney. Want to see the countryside or something - any suggestions on something EASY to do in the area.

Everyone - thanks!!

Trip has been planned!! We have decided that we will be staying in Paris and just go out for a LONG DAY at Disneyland. I did mandate that we MUST stay until the fireworks are done though. So I think with everything else we want to see and do - that a single day will be fine. I am taking all the other suggestions to heart as we plan our Parisian Adventure!!

4 Likes

So a few quick questions.
1 - What is the Fastpass situation in DLP? Is it like the old WDW Paper one where you grab a fastpass use it and then grab another one?
2 - Has anyone seen a crowd calendar - we have determined (due to a whole bunch of things) that we will go on MONDAY June 18
3 - We will be doing a one day / one park. We will be doing the MAGIC KINGDOM side - any specific suggestions etc
4 - I will be getting people up at the crack o dawn so we will be there at or close to rope drop - will be taking train from Paris (which it seems VERY close)
5 - Anything specific people suggestion to do / avoid etc

I have mandated that I am (reluctantly) ok without staying on site - but we will be staying until fireworks