Disneyland Fantasmic Update

The update is short, sweet (?), and to the point:

"With the goal of delivering the best possible show for our guests, performances of Fantasmic! are currently paused until Spring 2024 "

:open_mouth:

5 Likes

Wow–such a long time.

1 Like

MiceChat is reporting that the Maleficent dragon will not return when the show reopens. This was apparently communicated to employees in an internal email. There will be new special effects instead.

I’m kind of skeptical of this news, maybe it is being misinterpreted … they need the dragon, maybe it will just be the WDW version or some new version.

4 Likes

Cast have been told there will be significant changes to the show, including “a thrilling new finale between Sorcerer Mickey and Maleficent.” They were further told that, “Although the dragon figure won’t be part of the show when it returns next spring, there will be plenty of exciting new special effects to wow our Guests.”

It’s unclear from Disney’s phrasing if a dragon might return at some point in the future, but it’s clear that the show is being rewritten to accommodate the lack of a dragon figure.

3 Likes

Hearting as acknowledgement - definitely DO NOT LIKE rumored non-return of dragon

3 Likes

This news was a gut-punch. All of it. Especially the

I have a DS12 who may or may not be trying to execute a heist of DHS’s dragon when we return to WDW Labor Day Weekend before our cruise to smuggle back to DLR. (Never mind that HS was not in the plan for the very short 2 days before the cruise that we were planning to execute).

3 Likes

I’m so afraid Murphy’s replacement will be some lame, low budget screen. I want Murphy!!! :sob::sob::sob:

Has anyone seen more recent news about an actual return date?

1 Like

May 24th according to this site.

2 Likes

I believe Disney’s officially announced a return date of May 24, 2024. I’m pretty sure it was on a Disney parks blog sometime in the last month or so. My DS12 (same one that actually did end up swaying us to add a half day of HS just to see WDW’s Fantasmic in September 2023 so he could “pull off his dragon heist”) has asked me every few days or so if we can go for a week to see it as many days straight in a row (school gets out May 24, 2024 for them so it lines up).

3 Likes

I haven’t minded the show being down, traffic patterns have been so much better over there. I do enjoy the show, but prefer having a place to sit (like in HS) to watch these days. But it will be good to have it back for those that love it.

3 Likes

Darn it! We’ll be there in early May.

1 Like

Come back after May 24, hehe!

We prefer to see it with Hungry Bear dining and then head backwards towards Galaxy’s Edge afterwards to avoid the crazy traffic. Those New Orleans Square walkways were NOT designed for any kind of show traffic, much less our double stroller :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes