Disneyland commits $2.5 billion for theme park expansion

7 Likes

Excited to see what this will bring for Anaheim but imagining what hotel prices will be like :flushed:

3 Likes

Sure would be nice if they could get more land around the parks, maybe offer a true value that is on property.

3 Likes

Meanwhile WDW, with a bajillion acres of land is like

barefoot contessa family functions gif | WiffleGif

5 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

No kidding. And, if we entertain what is coming or rumored to be coming to WDW…

TBA…replaces previously existing capacity.
Tiana’s Palace…replacing existing capacity from Pecos Bill.
Country Bears Jamboree…not really replacing…just different version of same capacity.
Central/South America in AK…replacing previously existing capacity.
Test Track update…same existing capacity

So…presumably this $2.5 billion is a portion of the $10 billion in park investment planned for the next 10 years. With the Proxy war at stake with the coming Board vote, I think Disney is going to make these announcements in an effort to show that something is being done…while actually not doing anything. $2.5 billion investment in the next 10 YEARS means they don’t have to actually do anything for the next several years still. Seems more like a political (as in, company politics) announcement, since there were no ACTUAL announcements of what they plan to build.

5 Likes

While I agree that so much of that is the same capacity I also think not all of them were running at capacity on a regular basis. But with the updates they might so it will still pull a few guests from other things. Maybe. But I still want more new!

5 Likes

I agree. I’m just weary of what comes across to me as empty promises from Disney. I’d like to see something CONCRETE…not just announcing something real, but then, you know…actually BUILDING it. :smiley:

4 Likes

I remember when they announced some big new entry way into the park crossing over Harbor Blvd. The Carousel hotel was even knocked down but it never happened. That lot still sits empty. :roll_eyes: I think it exactly like Ryan said

4 Likes

Very frustrating. Bring on Epic Universe.

Edit to add: During the fall’s family WDW trip, I will also be taking my kids for their first taste of UOR. If they love UOR, I could see our next few years of Orlando trips being Universal focused.

2 Likes

That’s our focus in Orlando. We’ll spend 5 days at UOR and maybe 2 days at Disney for our favorites. Since we live 20 min from DLR, WDW isn’t as important. We hit what we love that isn’t in Anaheim. IofA is our favorite! I could ride Hagrid’s and VC all day. We can’t wait for Epic. We’re already planning a trip for 2026. One DD is obsessed with How to Train Your Dragon.

2 Likes

Critically, DisneylandForward also does not commit to building any specific new theme park lands or rides. You might see reference elsewhere to possible expansion based on Wakanda, Zootopia, Frozen, Fantasy Springs, Tangled, Peter Pan, Toy Story and TRON. These are merely blue sky examples that have been pulled from other parks around the world. In actuality, DisneylandForward is the company’s pitch to the public and City of Anaheim for more flexibility in the master plans from the 1990s in order to give the company greater autonomy over what to build and where.

Original story from last year:

1 Like

meanwhile - USH is looking very sharp!

1 Like

I so wish USH would expand enough to be a decent competitor to DLR. On the other hand UOR is a decent competitor to WDW with a brand new park opening within 2 years, and that hasn’t inspired Disney to invest there. Disney execs seem completely out-of-touch with their market. I’m afraid that $2bil will be shopping and a hotel, even if they are showing park expansion. I’ll believe it, when construction actually starts. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I don’t know how I missed this! I am very excited!

2 Likes