Disney, Universal, money, and me — an oversharing thread

UK state pension is based on number of years worked. It’s independent of your job. The figure I quoted is the maximum anyone would get.

The UK pays very low benefits. The rest of Europe is much more generous.

2 Likes

What?
What?

Do I have to pull up your TR? You had a great trip. It even encouraged @adusca to go right after you.

You are banned.

4 Likes

WTF! That sucks! Sorry to hear this. :cry:

2 Likes

I lied.

I’m stopping now bc I’m jealous.
And I need to go to the computer and price out some potential cruises.

14 Likes

Does your self employed status change your benefits level? Would it be worth looking into joining a company somewhere and doing tutoring on the side?

3 Likes

No. I pay the tax that qualifies me for benefits. Technically I’m not self-employed. I’m an employee of my own company.

7 Likes

This is so much fun to read.
We need more cruise TR’s.

6 Likes

So are there like tons of home for old poor people there because how can anyone afford to live on $13k a year, even assuming they have some savings to compensate.

4 Likes

Haven’t you read any Dickens?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

They can move to Portugal or Spain and live a better life on less retirement :wink:

3 Likes

OK, now you’re forcing me to confront why that trip wasn’t a huge success.

I have a horrible feeling that it was because I was on my own and there wasn’t much to take my mind off that. The cruise was bookended by staying in Liverpool, which was much better because there were things to do.

4 Likes

They live miserably.

This nonsense you all believe about the UK because you’ve been lied to is, well, nonsense.

4 Likes

And the world was in a bizarre situation.

I do think a Southern or Eastern cruise could provide you plenty of destinations. But then it could add to your costs and I wanted it to save you money, not cost you more.

1 Like

Most people would also either have a work pension, or if not a work pension they could pay into a private pension. I think you could do both. I expect my retirement income will be decent but I won’t be able to retire till I’m 68. DH didn’t start paying into a private pension till he was nearly 40 so I do worry about how much he’ll have. But he’ll have the state pension as well, we’ll both have paid in more than enough for that.

4 Likes

We have similar private retirement accounts either through work or private means. Not everyone contributes to a retirement plan though. Some count on only government social security which can be scary. It’s not nearly enough to live modestly comfortable.

4 Likes

My plan is to die of a massive heart-attack when I’m about 70.

3 Likes

I mean…
an onboard chocolate factory could move you in the right direction…

Just trying to help.

Next.

6 Likes

I know you don’t want to take the easy solution.

Maybe compromise. Cut it out for the April trip. You will still be basking in the glory of the December trip. By June, you’ll miss it more so it will mean more.

If you absolutely need Disney, stick to non-park activities.

5 Likes

In that case, I’ve been retired for a few weeks now :sunglasses: :palm_tree: :tropical_drink:

5 Likes