Disney trip in April?

I wonder if this had anything to do with the Mexico cast members (including the cultural exchange cast members) not getting paid. Apparently they’re directly employed by a separate company under contract to Disney, and that company was not paying them during the closure. This is social media sourced, and I have no independent verification. But there has been a great deal of chatter about it that has been picked up by some Disney blog sites.

I don’t have anything other than personal observation to go on, but it seems like all of these programs together constitute a significant portion of the labor force resort-wide. I can’t help but wonder how this is going to impact the guest experience when Disney World reopens.

You can shut down mass transit and close venues, but there aren’t enough enforcement resources in the country to completely lock down entire population centers.

1 Like

They can close airports, interregional buses and hotels much more easily then they can close roads. This might be more of a way to promote self isolation (making business and leisure travel much harder) than as way to actually keep people from moving.

Corona also has a very slow progress: 7 to 10 days until you show first symptoms, 2 - 3 weeks until you are well again, or over 3 weeks for the worse cases (that lead to hospitalization and death). This means the next couple weeks are going to be very tense with anticipation of news, even in the best case scenario where everything is working and this is being contained.

2 Likes

A week ago, we couldn’t see today. We can’t see to April 1st right now. Nobody can tell us if the shutdowns, so disruptive to all and devastating to businesses, will be over and the infection rate will be negligible. We need to get through one day at a time, especially right now.

6 Likes

Totally agree, especially because we are just now seeing a ramp up in testing. Wider testing will finally gives a better picture of what we are dealing with.

3 Likes

I’m April 17th. Haven’t cancelled anything. For my flight I have up to 24 hours prior. At least I’m one of the lucky ones as I already used my AP for 3 trips this year. Was still looking forward to the 4th, but if I have to cancel, I’ll cancel. My province is now asking anyone returning from international travel (this includes U.S.) to self quarantine for 14 days…which again, I’m lucky in that respect as I can work from home - already do 50% off the time)

…had this lockdown been 5 weeks ago, it would have been interesting. While in Orlando I spiked a fever, had a sore throat, cough… a few days after returning home, I went to the Dr. It was a sinus infection, antibiotics kicked it.

1 Like

Yes, although I’m sure DH would still get to work. I remember on 9/12 when bridges and tunnels were closed found out through his supervisor that he was an essential employee and needed to return to work. He had to show his work ID to Police officers daily but they let him pass.
I work about 15 minutes away so I know I’d still get to work as well. Just so much craziness and unknown factors now.

When I took my daughters last Oct/Nov my DD3 got sick and would not take medicine so I took her home on the airplane lethargic dehydrated and with a fever. Straight to the ED when we got home - a little nausea medicine and Tylenol, which of course she took for the nurse, and she was fine. I’m guessing that wouldn’t be the scenario anymore. We wouldn’t be allowed on the plane now. Makes travel with kids a little more risky.

3 Likes

I actually don’t think sending home the CP kids is any type of signal of them extending the closure. I work in international affairs at a large university and there is serious thought to emptying the dorms and telling all students (over 50,000) to return home for the remainder of the semester. Some colleges have already done this as a way to reduce infection transmission. Doesn’t surprise me at all that Disney has taken this step.

I have a trip planned next month and I’ve not cancelled yet. In a couple of weeks we’ll see where we’re at and decide then. Who knows how far all this will go. Just gotta be flexible and roll with it!

1 Like

Disney is cutting live entertainment from EPCOT. The taiko drummers in Japan and British Revolution are concluding their respective runs. The announcements appear permanent.

I believe the lyric is “and no one knows how far it goes”

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/transcripts/images/e/e9/Disney’s_Moana_-_iTunes_Movie_Poster.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/340?cb=20170325045605

#iammoana

5 Likes

How long are their runs usually?

Matsuriza, the Japanese Taiko drummers, were there 25 years. Not sure about British Revolution, but their announcement referenced “over 11,000 shows” at EPCOT.

Matsuriza really concerns me. They were a staple of World Showcase.

From the announcement I saw, it sounded like full time cultural reps were given the option to leave or stay (if they stayed they would receive pay) - I wonder if this had more to do with travel restrictions and Disney wanting to give international employees the opportunity to return home before international travel becomes more of an issue.

2 Likes

I thought maybe they rotated the CMs and they just ended this round early. This is truly shocking!

1 Like

Sad to see the performers contract ending. It’s a big part of what makes Disney special.

I read the same thing. I have no idea if the entertainment groups fall under the cultural representative program or whether they perform under contract. I’ve always understood that these were not Disney ensembles, but established ensembles outside Disney World that were recruited to perform there. But I don’t actually know anything more than I read in the public domain.

Regardless, all of these departures taking place before the purportedly two-week closure goes into effect suggests either A) Disney expects this to go on much longer than two weeks, or B) Disney intends to reopen with diminished staffing and entertainment options (and therefore a diminished guest experience), or C) some combination of both. Once again, I really hope I’m wrong.

1 Like

Amen.

I suggested an every six hour update to an anxious patient yesterday. She was getting chest tightness, but her TV had been on a news channel since I’d gotten there. I suggested checking 6AM, lunchtime and after dinner. She’d certainly get the most imperative without the constant NOISE. I’d never suggest a whole day without though.

4 Likes