Disney Trip 3.0! And report 1.0

Sorry! Work got crazy and I had a delay in the post!! Hope you enjoy the latest installment!! I’ll be better to finish the trip up!!

4 Likes

Yep. I agree completely.

1 Like

Loving the trip report so far. Thanks for sharing! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I hate when work life gets in the way of our living vicariously through others life! :rofl:

4 Likes

Ive been enjothis so much! Thanks for writing

1 Like

I love all the details you added here- since it will be my first time to AK they are very helpful.

2 Likes

Day Four: In which we find ourselves being wet wilied by Dale, and confirm the suspicion that Disney Magic is real.

Today’s adventure finds our family heading over to Epcot. We had FP’s for Mission Space(which we’d use for Orange), Test Track, and Spaceship Earth. We also had breakfast reservations for Garden Grill, for which I had intended on heading to Soarin’ before hand to take advantage of short lines right after rope drop. However, as our earlier exploits have taught us, perhaps sticking to the plan as laid out is not always best.

DD17 really struggles with Soarin- she tends to get very motion sick on it because of the screen being so wonky if you’re not dead center. Because of this, when she and I go we tend to skip this attraction all together because who wants to tote around a nauseated teenager? I certainly don’t, that’s for sure. So I was looking forward to taking the boys on it and she was going to putz around and wait. Until we arrived at Epcot.

It was starting to cloud over, and my gut said perhaps TT would be better first, because if it rained, it would assuredly go down. However, the boys decided they wanted to try MS immediately, and DD wasn’t up to going on Orange after breakfast during our FP time. So we hit that first. Overall: Orange is clearly superior to green, but if you are prone to vertigo or are sensitive to spinning, this version really can do a number on you. (And PS, can we all just stipulate that it was better before the refurb? I don’t remember getting nearly as disoriented when Gary Sinise was in charge, I’m just sayin’.) After this, head to Refreshment Port and get coffee to take into breakfast- because we all agree that Joffrey’s is just not good. And at this point, we’re on the dining plan and have approximately 800 snacks left to use up. We still had time before breakfast so we hit that pavilion hoping to see what the wait time for Soarin was- slightly longer than the time allotted, so we checked in early.

Garden Grill is a great character breakfast. We couldn’t understand why in the world there were as many empty tables as there were- and there were a LOT of empty tables! I’m not sure if it’s just not very well known, or if the characters don’t appeal to people, or what, but if you haven’t tried it yet I encourage you to give it a shot. The meal is served family style and it’s all you care to enjoy. The sticky bun is worth it’s weight in gold (coming from a person who doesn’t even like cinnamon!), the fruit salad is tasty, and the offerings are great. Plus, you get salsa that is made from ingredients grown in the Land (and it really does complement the eggs very well!). And Tater Tots. I mean, Napolean Dynamite is in heaven at our table here!
Aside from the food being quite good, the character interaction is fantastic! Chip & Dale, Pluto and Mickey dressed as a farmer are here. Some of the interaction may be due to the lack of guests, but DD and I have eaten breakfast here twice and we’ve always had multiple stops from the characters each time. And today, Chip and Dale both were definitely ready to have some antics making it even more enjoyable. DSS was trying to tease Dale, and Dale was having none of that! Because the restaurant is in a circle, the characters can just keep coming around- literally- and the way DSS was sitting his back was to them as they approached. So now and again we’d see Dale sneak up behind him and stick his finger in his ear as he walked by which created the best responses from the rest of the table. Overall, if you have some ADR’s to book and are looking for something a little different or that you haven’t tried yet, I encourage you to look at GG- I think it’s very much worth it (even if not on the dining plan, I’d pay oop for this one in a heartbeat).

After breakfast we had some time before TT so we hit Nemo and Friends and Turtle Talk w/Crush. Super cute! DSS sat up front and Crush talked to him for quite a while- this is an experience you could go into multiple times and it will be entertaining each time. Crush is voiced in real time, and chooses kids that are sitting up front to get questions from and interact with- and it is really funny! Not only did he interact with DSS, but he asked DSS who he was with and the CM came back with the microphone and he engaged with DBF as well. I think this is one of the best attractions for audience engagement on property, and even if you don’t have kids I wouldn’t be afraid to go and sit in it just to watch it. Once Crush was done, we headed over to Club Cool for…
THE BEVERLY!! DSS clearly needed to be initiated into drinking the worst. beverage. ever. We started him with the right side of the fountains, and worked our way over to Beverly saving it for last. DD was excited, only in as much as I did this exact same thing to her the year before and she was just happy to see it done to someone else. Why else does one really bring kids to Club Cool anyway, if not to torment them with the most bitter flavored drink on the earth? His reaction did not disappoint, either. (DBF was aware ahead of time what we were doing to him- and his opinion was better DSS than himself!)
We headed over to MS, and rode the FP at the tail end of the window and then caught TT at the beginning of it’s window, and then just explored and poked around FW for a while before the FP to SE. DD chose to sit out the MS FP, because she didn’t want to worry about being sick which I think we can all appreciate. By 12:15 we were about ready to call it, so we caught our SE FP. It’s been years since I’ve been on this ride, and while I remember it being more edutainment than not, DD thought it was boring. Of course, 17. I think that it is worth it for what it is and what it was meant to be- a glimpse into the history of communication and such, but would love to see just some updates in general. As more and more rides with newer technology come into the parks, it becomes more and more evident that the investment is not in maintenance or updates and it’d be nice to see a big ol’ shot in the arm to booster up some of the classics is all I’m saying. But leave the Phoenicians, for all that is good and holy. :slight_smile:
We chose to head back to the resort after this and take a break for a while, day two of laundry and DSS went swimming (do not underestimate how much peace amongst the land you get when you can just let your kids go swimming at the resort!) and DD napped. We had no evening plans or parks set up to go to, so DBF and I decided we’d have a date night!
DD and DSS were going to stay at the resort and grab quick service for dinner and likely swim some more, and DBF and I headed to the bus stop. We were doing it old school: whichever bus came first would determine where we were going. If Epcot came we were going to WS and getting Mexican food for Dinner and some drinks around the World, and if MK came first we were hopping over to Poly via monorail. Poly got us!
We had no reservations but I remembered: Captain Cook’s!! Three words: Pulled. Pork. Nachos. And here it happened. The Disney Magic. Not just because those nachos over there are magically good (because they are, go get you some and challenge me on that. I dare you.) but because DBF, after days of resisting, came over to our side. As we were eating, he asked how I knew about them since he knew I’d never stayed at the Poly, so I was honest and said I’d heard reviews that were pretty consistent on a few different podcasts and in some of the groups. “The DisNerd groups you’re in?” Why yes, those. “I always thought they were nuts, but now you may have to add me to them. These are GOOD!” We then discussed how much effort it must be for Disney to have food that is consistently good regardless of where you’re eating- some better than others for sure- but across the board good food. Not just theme park good, but for the most part, genuinely tasty food. (Let’s not ruin the moment by pointing out that Pinocchio’s and Tony’s is arguably awful, okay? What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him. Besides, I hear they’re making changes in those spots and there’s hope yet.) And then, putting me in absolute bliss, came the observation that the Poly may be a great place for he and I to come for a trip without the kids.
Y’all. Do you have any idea how hard I had to sit there and act pleased but not too pleased at that? It was a challenge, let me tell you.
After that we headed over to Tiki Sam’s Grog Grotto, but the only place with two seats was at a table with a large group sitting together and we weren’t in the “hey can we crash your table” kinda mood, so we went outside to the Tiki Bar and ordered drinks. Spiky Pineapple (I got the extra Spiky this time) for me, and he had the Krakatoa Punch I think. Both were very good. And while there,we had a ukulele player for entertainment, and an off clock cast member that had formerly worked at the Luau came in and danced- very cool!!
After drinks we headed back towards the MK- we were considering going back to the resort but DBF decided “since we’re here” we’d head into the park. Disney Magic, indeed! He wanted to check out Hall of Presidents and so we did. Regardless of political persuasion, we’re really glad that this attraction is there. As far as a brief synopsis of American History goes, it sums up fairly well what’s gone on in the country. Not to mention the artifacts/clothing etc that is on display before you enter the theater makes it a bit more museum than attraction. I don’t have a problem with edutainment, and I think that this does a decent job. After this we opt to head back (literally went in for that one thing, and while part of me wanted to enjoy the park more sans kids, I can appreciate that we went into the MK on a mission, met it, and headed out) and called it a night.

Tomorrow is the last day of park touring: how much gas is in the tank? Can we cross those last items off the list of things to do? Does the Magic fizzle out? Stay tuned, and thanks for following along!!

15 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad they’re helpful. Overall, I think AK is the one park that has the most cohesive theme all the way through it and for that reason I can appreciate it. But I do get turned around a LOT in that park! I really depend on the signage to get me from point a to point b.

It’s so rude!! Expecting me to earn my paycheck. Oy.

2 Likes

I’m definitely planning on doing GG breakfast next trip, I only ever hear good things about it! Just to clarify, it’s AYCE so you can ask for more of anything you want?

I’m sad that you don’t like the Beverly! I genuinely love it. Though I still like to trick people with it!

Hope you get your adult trip at the Poly! Wouldn’t that be fun!

2 Likes

Yes, you can ask for more of what ever in particular you would like- so you can eat more bacon, or more eggs, or more tots to your heart’s content!
I think that the Beverly is more common when there’s a reason to cleanse your palette- it is not very common at least in the Midwest. But I do have fun tricking people into drinking it!
DD17 graduates from high school next spring and she wants to go to Disney for graduation. I’m thinking of surprising her with 4 nights there after two or three nights at an All Star. But I would DEFINITELY like a grown up only trip there FOR SURE!!

2 Likes

GG breakfast is a favorite of ours. We did PPO and rode Soarin before the park opened. I think that is when that breakfast is the most popular.

1 Like

I am doing that when I go in April. I have never been to GG before, but have heard good things :slight_smile:
I am a big fan of the PPO breakfast! :coffee:

2 Likes

:joy: I have been enjoying your trip report SO much!! Thank you for spending all the time to give us such wonderful and fun details!!

1 Like

Thank you!! I can’t wait to get to the Lessons Learned entry at the end!!

1 Like

Day Five: In which we have to admit our limits, and the rain. OY THE RAIN!

We have arrived at our final vacation day. For those who have been following along, thank you for the reads and comments/feedback! While this was wake up #6 at WDW, it was our fifth day of touring. And the troups were showing signs of wear.

Our plans were to go to HS for Jedi Training, a FP for SDD, one last drop on the Tower, RnR, and a FP for Star Tours. We had no lunch plans, but had dinner plans for MK at Liberty Tree Tavern & I was hoping for HEA after. I have to admit, I really like HEA more than I did Wishes, but that is because I hadn’t seen Wishes in ten years so maybe it’s just because I’ve seen HEA more recently. And, Hunchback of Notre Dame is in it, so it’s a winner in my book.

I was absolutely not crazy enough to hope for a 7 am start to take advantage of EMH on this final day. I’m 100% certain that there would have been mutiny if I suggested it. But we did agree to an 8:00 start so we could get DSS signed up for Jedi Training. We were at the park and headed over there quickly, and got him squeezed in after our SDD FP for the 10:30 start. (Our FP was at 10:10, so I figured we’d take advantage of that five minute grace at the front end and tap in a little early). We had a FP at ToT around 8:45, so we hit RnR with only a five or ten minute wait after getting him signed up for the last go through of that. After ToT, we made our way back to TSL and had breakfast at Woody’s Lunch Box.
A word here about the food. I’m very happy that some breakfast QS has made it’s way to the park so you don’t have to eat Starbucks if you don’t want to. And the food options at Woody’s aren’t bad, but they are heavy. I had the grilled turkey, egg and cheese sandwhich, DD and DBF had the bowl with potato barrels, eggs and gravy, and DSS had the kids’ S’mores french toast meal. All of it was pretty good, but aside from the portion sizes being large (per usual at QS imo) like I said, it’s HEAVY. it was just sitting there like a brick after a while, and unfortunately that can make for some unpleasant touring in Summer temps in Orlando.
After breakfast we still had some time so we wandered around TSL for a bit, then rode SDD. It is SO stinkin’ cute! I put it in the neighborhood of 7DMT as far as thrill factor goes. The que area is super adorable, there are a lot of Easter Eggs (check out the bar code for the price tag on one of the games in the que- it’s got the date of the original release for Toy Story in it!) and we all really liked it. If I were to have a criticism of the ride at all, the sketch that Andy drew as the backdrop/blue print of the ride doesn’t totally come to fruition- I’d love to see The Evil Dr. Porkchop have a role in the scenery! The lines in TSL overall were lower this day than on Monday, which surprised me as we were back on a Saturday and I was anticipating them being rough.
After this, we had a little time to kill before Jedi Training so we took our time heading back over to the check in area and cut through the Chinese Theater ‘courtyard’ on the way over- we had just missed March of the First Order and unfortunately the next one was going to go through during his Jedi Training so we never caught that this trip. However, DBF was curious about the theater so i told him about the Late Great Movie Ride- he seemed genuinely disappointed that he wasn’t able to ever ride it. DD and I miss that horribly- it was how I fell in love with some of the classic movies that I fear are going to be forgotten now. Technology and time, enemies of Nostalgia.
After DSS got checked in I snagged a Mickey Bar (because a gazillion snack credits) and we made our way over towards Back Lot Express to sit in the shade for a bit before his show. When they came out, we were surprised he had his hood up for the whole show- good GRAVY that had to be hot!! He said it was because the sun was so bright, he was using it like a sun visor. Made more sense than anything I was going to come up with, so why not? Jedi Training was done by 11:15 or so and we snagged some drinks to cool off and did a little shopping, then made our way back to the buses to cool off in the room. I am fairly certain that this day was the day that Orlando moved to only 25 feet away from the sun- it felt like the heat was bouncing off the concrete and hitting us all over the place.
While on the bus, we were discussing dinner plans. I was excited to get back to MK- I really like to end my trips in that park. All three of my travel partners had the look of “Please. PLEASE.Don’t make us do this.” DD actually said “Do we have to?” She equally loves that park to end on, so I was surprised. Then, I remembered that she had a week in Mexico that ended 14 hours before our flight to MCO, and the boys had never been here before, and the temps were high along with the humidity. So, changing plans it was.
We got back to POR and DBF and I headed to the food court to refill mugs, and I thought: let’s see if we can change dinner to Boatwrights. Reviews are mixed I know, there’s certainly better TS on property, but nobody had the gumption to do anything that evening and moving to the main building was better than hailing a cab or catching a bus. So the Concierge desk helped us out with that, and we went back for a nap.
Now for me, I had a need to go to MK. More than just tradition of ending a trip there mind you. My nieces had been to the MK and AK in March for spring break. My nieces are 5 and 9, and the youngest loves herself some Minnie Mouse, while the eldest really likes Rapunzel. I had postcards that Minnie and Rapunzel had “written” to them and I needed them to be autographed so I could mail them out to the girls, and I wanted to stamp them from the MK. So, around 2 while the kids were still asleep, I opted to head back to the MK for some solo autograph getting time.
I’ve read posts in groups about solo trip goers that weren’t sure about seeing the characters, or getting autographs. Let me just say, if that’s what you want to do in the World, DO IT! I made it to the Circus area to meet Minnie first, and there was a five minute wait to see Daisy and Minnie, and on my way there I snagged a fast pass to meet Rapunzel. Yes. I did. The postcards had Mickey on the front of them, so when Minnie saw it she got very excited and kissed his picture- it was very cute! I was worried about her being able to get the signature in the space, but she of course nailed it. It was cute in that area- I don’t typically go see those characters back there but there was no line for it. I think people may forget, especially since Mickey is at the front of the park.
I had some time before Rapunzel, so I decided to grab the new Peter Pan Float. If you are a fan of Key Lime, you will like it. It’s a bit tart, but mixed in with the Sprite it gets toned down a little. It was starting to rain a little bit, but not heavy, so I enjoyed just walking around Fantasy land for a little bit and people watching- it’s something.
I headed over to meet Rapunzel and Tiana next. I rocked that FP to meet a Princess like a Boss, just in case you’re wondering. I had no shame, either. :slight_smile: I was wearing a hat with Pascal on it and she and I chatted quite a bit about Pascal and Maximus, and she was happy to sign the post card for me- she read it and said that she ‘remembered’ my niece from breakfast on their trip (they at at Trattoria al Forno) and the Photo Pass cm got a picture of her signing the post card. I put that in there because after my nieces got their mail, the eldest said “I think it’s actually from Aunt Nikki, isn’t it?” So I texted the picture of Rapunzel “writing” the card out to show her. Anything to keep the Disney Magic happening for as long as possible! The five year old was thrilled to get one from Minnie and had no doubts that she indeed sent it, so I was good there.
After this, I headed back towards the front but snagged two final Mickey Pretzels with plastic cheese to take back to the room. Because, Mickey Pretzels, yo.
We had until about 6:30 for dinner, and I made it back to the hotel around 5. And wouldn’t you know, around 6 a deluge of a rainstorm hit. I’d been bringing ponchos into the parks in my backpack all freaking week. Not once did we need them while touring. But to get to Dinner in the main building from Bldg 35 at POR we were desperate for them! So all poncho’d up, we sprint all the way there. The drainage on those sidewalks aren’t what you may like, but that also could be just the sheer volume of rain coming from the heavens in such a short period of time.
Dinner at Boatwright’s was…sufficient. DBF had steak and he really liked the reduction sauce that they served with it, DD had the pork tenderloin that was served with a cola reduction (it’s very sweet), I had scallops and risotto, and DSS had the kids’ cheese pizza I think. I’m a fan of scallops, and while they were cooked well, they were over seasoned. This was our least favorite meal of the trip.
We made one last stop at the gift shop for DSS to pick out those last few things to spend his gift card money on, then made our way back to the room for our final pack up. We had to be on the DME by 5:20 am, so we were anticipating being in bed by 9. It turned into 10:30, btw.
The alarm went off very early: 4:30. Talk about bah humbug! We were out of the room and made it to the luggage check in desk just before they opened at 5 am, but we were able to check our suitcases there so we wouldn’t have to stop at the check in at MCO. And then, sadly, at 5:20 we headed out.

Here are my takeaways from this trip in no particular order:

1. Liners really do have the advantage in the parks. Even if you only go in with a plan and those three initial fast passes, you are leaps and bounds ahead of a LOT of people.

2. If I were to re-do this trip, I would not rope drop EMH on day one. I also would not do the Dessert Party that night. It just made for too long of a day on the first touring day.

3. While I’m a huge fan of the early start, mid day break, evening finish, when you’re with first timers it’s okay to start a little later. (though that first two hours of an open park you can knock out so much stuff, sometimes it’s just not worth the aggravation it creates)

4. Regardless of what your family thinks, start walking 60-90 days prior to your trip. We logged about 75 miles on the week, and DSS was tired for three days after we got home. Don’t let them believe they’ll be okay. They won’t. Start walking.

5. The Dining Plan. I already knew that for DD and I it’s just not worth it. She and I don’t eat enough to have it pay off. I thought that for the four of us it may be. Part of it may have been because it was so hot, but we still didn’t eat all of the food that we paid for. When we left, we left four quick service meals and 10 snacks unused. Moving forward, I will put the cost of the dining plan on a Gift card, and just pay for meals and snacks. When people say do the math and see if it’s right for you, truly, do the math. And don’t let people say “but then you just don’t have to worry about it” because if there is one thing I know, math and numbers don’t lie. For us the math says don’t get the dining plan.

6. The truest test of a relationship is taking a first timer to Disney, and not pushing them to have input before you get there. I would ask DBF what he would want to do and he would say “just plan it” like a naive Nike commercial. Stress the amount of walking, stress the overstimulation that happens in the parks and stress that there is waiting for ridiculous things like buses.

7. Cast Members deserve a raise. Especially the ones that have to clean the bathrooms. Oh. My. Gawd. The way that I have seen some of the public bathrooms at Disney World makes me weep for the potential cleanliness of some homes in this country. That may sound judgmental and I accept that. But for the love of all things good and holy, if one wouldn’t allow their children to wad up stacks of paper towels and throw them in the toilets at home, why would you do that in public?

8. Don’t be afraid to try some alone time while on a trip with your family. I love my family. But sometimes I needed some time not near them. As much because of me being frustrated because my plans were going south as their attitude. That time away doing something that I wanted was better than me sulking in the room and being aggravated. I can be a pain in the arse, so it’s best to step away and recharge.

9. Their first impression or the first couple of days’ worth of reaction likely won’t be the final one. DBF, if given the choice, would have left Tuesday. But after that night of sleeping it off, he reset, and now can understand why I love going to WDW. And has planted the seed for us to take another trip with the family in two years. And wants to go to Universal without the kids next fall. And is considering adding Food and Wine on that trip next Fall. And is thinking about the Poly for a grown up trip to the World. If y’all had said that would happen while we were on that bus back from the MK on day two, I would have thought YOU were crazy. The parks are overstimulating, the pace can be tough. Give your family the time and space they need to make the trip great, even if it’s not at a Liner/Expert Pace.

And Finally,
10. I know there’s mixed opinions about the room renovations happening- taking the carpet out and adding in all white linens, laminate flooring, etc. There’s a fear that the rooms lose that “Disney” feel. I’ll be honest. I chose POR because it’s not totally Disney-fied in theming, and DBF was grateful. If we had been at AoA where you can’t get away from it, it may have been bad. But on those room renovations, if you have a member of your party that has asthma or allergies, the carpeting is old. And full of moisture. And that brings potential mold. By Wednesday night I was struggling in the room, my allergies were flared up and my lungs were struggling. I didn’t piece it together for what it was until late Thursday or Friday, and by then we only had a day or two left. Last summer DD and I stayed in a renovated room at Pop and I had none of those issues. So while the feel may be different, for those with allergies those new rooms are going to make the vacation so much easier. For me, I need to plan to book my next few trips at the resorts that are finished just to save myself some Albuteral. And to be able to sleep.

Thanks so much for following along everyone!! I hope some of our experience has been helpful for you, or at least broken up the monotony of the day at work. Or helped you avoid throttling a kid or two. Have a Magical Day!!

19 Likes

I have really enjoyed your report and am laughing my head off in the office at ‘like a naive Nike commercial ‘ :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights; and the trip reports! This has been great!

1 Like

I loved reading your trip report, thanks for sharing

1 Like

Great trip report! I like your idea of getting a character to autograph a post card for someone at home, I hadn’t thought of that before.

1 Like