Disney Springs - I just don't like it

After our 4th trip in 4 years, I’ve finally learned that I just don’t like Disney Springs.

I really want to like it. I just can’t. I always seem to get lost. I can never find where they hide the bathrooms. Some of the areas of poorly lit. I love the nighttime performances, but that’s about the only thing. Getting there, walking around, and getting back to the buses is a lot of work.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to actually liking Disney Springs??

My feelings are so strong, I just might skip it next time altogether.

3 Likes

You’re not doing anything wrong. It is what it is, if you don’t like it that’s ok! Don’t go. There are lots of things I don’t like at WDW, we all have different tastes.

3 Likes

Last trip we went on our departure day. We were there in the morning, ate lunch, finished up shopping and headed back to our resort to catch ME. We didn’t explore the entire DS and just stopped into some stores that appealed to us. It also wasn’t crowded due to being in the morning/early afternoon. I wouldn’t say we love DS, but it was a nice place to finish our trip, eat and grab some souvenirs.

If it’s not your thing, don’t go.

1 Like

You’re both right. I don’t HAVE to go. I just have a sense of - it’s Disney, and I’m supposed to like it. I’m disappointed that I can’t find a way to like it.

There are plenty of Disney things I don’t like that others do. The Tiki room and It’s a Small World are 2 attractions that I refuse to ever step foot in again. But to each their own. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I like the atmosphere at night but I couldn’t care less about shopping. If it were walkable from a park (like Boardwalk area) it would be more appealing to me, although the boat from POR/FQ is a nice ride. I was happy to skip DS this upcoming trip, but DS really wants to eat at Homecomin’ and two of my other kids like shopping so we will go for the afternoon/evening. You like what you like, spend your vacation time doing those things :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s Disney but it’s still basically a mall and I wouldn’t visit any of those shops through choice except World of Disney.

3 Likes

World of Disney was so crowded when we were there I had to turn around and leave!

Oh I’ve never seen it that bad.

I don’t dislike it, but I don’t feel compelled to go either. If I’m not planning on eating at one of the restaurants, I typically skip it. The only stores I shop in when I do go are Disney Days of Christmas and the Kitchen shop. I occasionally stop in at World of Disney, but I’m really not into the typical “Disney souvenir” stuff, so it doesn’t really hold much interest for me.

And as others have said, everyone has different likes and dislikes; I could care less if I ever rode TT or TSM, again - but they are on most people’s “top 5” list…

3 Likes

Don’t stress it. Since the Studios went to basically Toy Story and Star Wars (one franchise I merely tolerate, the other I pretend that Disney never bought it and refuse to acknowledge it) World, I don’t even bother going there. No guilt. Yes, I miss Fantasmic!, but I’m not going to spend the time to go over there just for that.

If you don’t like something you don’t like it.

3 Likes

My spoilt student who’s been to WDW many times insisted I go there because it’s so great. I went twice at Christmas — once at night, once during the (rainy) day.

It’s a bunch of shops and restaurants. There’s nothing Disney about it. There was the Christmas tree trail, which was OK but a bit lifeless, and there’s a cinema, which is good for rainy days.

I’m not into shopping, or “merch”. Though, as it happened, I needed a waterproof coat and found a perfect one with zero effort at a good price. So there’s that, I suppose.

3 Likes

I’m with you. It’s definitely not my favorite place. I like World of Disney but can get most of that same merchandise in the parks if I wanted to. It’s definitely a time sucker with the busses.

2 Likes

DH has a true dislike for DS. But for some reason thought Citiwalk at UOR had a good vibe. Go figure!
I think DS is ok. Last trip we went so DD could go to BBB and boys tried the Void. They liked it but thought it was expensive for such a short time of fun.
I don’t plan to go back on my next trip. My friend and I are going to Princess half marathon. You would think DS would be the perfect place for us but we would rather spend our time in the world showcase!

2 Likes

Im with you. I liked the old DS when it was more manageable. Refuse to go now, it was so crowded in 2017 when we went, didn’t really see the point.

1 Like

Has anyone been on the Aerophile balloon? Thinking of doing that after getting dinner at Raglan Road. Maybe go to the photo pass studio for a few quick family pictures. Not really a Disney experience but a good, relaxed evening I hope.

When we have been (in 2012 and 2016) we have really enjoyed Disney Springs but I feel like we’ve only ever ventured into a very small portion of it (where Earl of Sandwich, Lego Store, World of Disney Store are). I do agree it’s more shopping mall than Disney, but we like World of Disney and the Lego Store so if there’s time in the plan we enjoy spending it there.

The last time also we spent upwards of an hour at Once Upon a Toy (with a 4 and almost 3 yr old) most of it dedicated to cramming as many accessories as we could fit into 2 build your own Mr. Potato Heads. And we love Ghiradelli’s and are used to it being a staple in our Disneyland trips so it was a bonus it was also in Disney Springs for our WDW trip. The bus ride to & from AsMo was a disaster though so next time I would definitely consider an alternative transportation to it.

2 Likes

I feel exactly the same basically it’s a shopping mall with a couple of Disney stores. I have tried to like it visited 7 or 8 times, hasn’t improved for me won’t go again

1 Like

I haven’t done the balloon, but the PhotoPass place was fun. So was Raglan Road.

I don’t go to WDW to shop, and I only eat there because I have to. :grin: I don’t think we’ve been to DS at all on the last few trips.

So I share your feelings completely. We are staying in the DS area for two nights preceding our on-site visit (not exactly by choice), but won’t be there much except to go to The Void and Raglan Road.

2 Likes