Disney requires vaccines

I can’t believe they said that last bit. On our last WDW BIG family trip where everyone had their own rooms my 3 adult children opted out of services for a $100 gift card instead. My, DH room was the only room that had beds made daily. I love coming back to a neat room, empty trash and the Disney surprise of towel origami :star_struck:

2 Likes

I am admittedly not in the service industry but had a provider to my house last week who was very chatty about his concerns. He got the vaccine as soon as available and had been sobered by covid among his coworkers, one with an extreme hospitalization.

Anyway my point is I’m sure some people would quit if there is a mandate put in place at their workplace. Others would feel safer with a mandate in place. (My husband is one of them but he has an office job so not apples to apples.)

I’m not saying one is more right than the other just that I don’t think there is one surefire way to please all employees. This was also true among the teacher population in my kids’ school last year, regarding going in person and then regarding masks. It seems half the people involved are upset no matter what direction is taken.

All hail the service providers now though especially in person. It is not an easy time to have a public-facing job, especially if the pay isn’t particularly high to compensate. :confused:

6 Likes

Some might be motivated to work at a place where they had to worry less about getting Covid.

6 Likes

Exactly.

5 Likes

Right now, those on unemployment can earn more than working. In fact, I know of several people who are purposely not working for this reason.

What will be interesting to see is if/when these job openings start to fill after the extra unemployment money dries up. Unfortunately this is happening as Delta is spreading…which is likely the motivation for companies to start mandating vaccines.

3 Likes

Except states that ended the extra be if it didn’t see an hiring surge.

5 Likes

I personally think the “people are not working because unemployment pays more” numbers are way lower than people think. Does it happen? Absolutely. But, much like the “Welfare Queen” trope that says people don’t work and just have more kids to stay on assistance or sell their food stamps to buy TVs, it rarely happens.
I don’t know about where you live, but here in the Northeast, the cost of living is high enough that even being on unemployment with the extra payment, it would be hard to get by. Not many people are choosing poverty over work.
One thing that I think came out of the pandemic is that people are realizing that they are worth more than poverty wages. Workers shouldn’t be subsidizing shareholders dividends by working for wages that are so low they qualify for food stamps.

19 Likes

I totally understand where you are coming from…but it is absolutely inconsistent with what I have personally observed.

Rationally speaking, it’s common for ppl to take personal experiences and make a generalization. It doesn’t mean it’s true. No more than stereotypes are true. FL weekly unemployment rate is $248 a week. NO one can live on that ! DeSantis stopped cares act subsidies June 26th. Jobs are still being left unfilled.

3 Likes

That was never the point. I said with unemployment extra benefits ending, it will be interesting to see what happens with jobs. And in that light, those I know who are not working now are because they chose to stop working so that they can get unemployment benefits now. They are perfectly capable of working, but are choosing not to.

The bigger issues are beside the point.

2 Likes

Say people are making $300 a week (and FL caps out at $248/week so it’s not even that much) from their state unemployment. Then the Cares Act adds $300 on top of that. That works out to a grand total of $600/wk or $15/hr. Wow. Several states have even opted out of the $300 Federal UI and many people have already run out of their state UI benefits.

Many of the people not going back to crap jobs that underpay them aren’t just sitting around on their couch eating bons bons. They’re looking for jobs they want to be at that pay a decent wage and I don’t blame them one bit.

12 Likes

I have friends in Indiana who are teachers with 15+ years of experience who only make around $35,000 a year, or $675 a week over the course of the year. At $600 a week of unemployment people have made, on average, almost as much as many people who work their tails off and have college degrees.

I’m with @ryan1. Purely anecdotal, but I don’t personally know a single person who isn’t working because they can’t find a job. I know quite a few who haven’t bothered to look for a job until their state stopped offering the additional $300/week.

3 Likes

I think it’s actually more complex than all of this.

I know someone who lost a good paying job and cannot find another at similar pay. He won’t take a lesser job (that won’t pay the bills) because he loses unemployment.

Alternatively, taking a lower paying job makes it a lot harder to look for the higher paying one that replaces what he had - taking time off for endless rounds of interviews isn’t star employee behavior.

But also, the end of unemployment forces people to face the hard changes that they’d been able to delay in hopes of employment. DH was out of work for a long time because of the pandemic. Our plan B for when the emergency fund dwindled included a lot of things that we didn’t want to do, but would become necessary to bring our bills way down and earn new marketable skills.

Anyway. I think my point is that both you and @ryan1 can be right at the same time.

9 Likes

This article is some explanation of what is happening.

My DH is employed and has been at his current place of employment since November 2020. He’s skilled blue collar at this point. He is paid well, but wants less overtime. He is applying for both the position he currently has and the position he wants and is working toward educationally. He’s not in a rush or desperate, so he’s taking his time. Places just don’t want to pay for experience or skill. They want you to have experience, but they offer a low wage for what they are looking for. So he declines interviews and/or jobs because they pay too low or they want you to work ALL THE TIME. There were workers striking recently because they wanted one day off a week without mandatory overtime (it was in the news last week). A lot of businesses still haven’t gotten a clue.

You pay well, have a good work/life balance, and have good benefits, I think people will put up with a company vaccine mandate.

14 Likes

Ironically, we thought this was part of the issue DH was having, but he ended up in job for which he has the technical ability to do but zero experience in the particular industry.

I will be in POP at WDW in October. This happened at Universal Studios FL. Royal Pacific.

1 Like

It come down to their right of choice. If it hurts no one else then that is true but if it does than protect yourself and others. Get the vaccine. All jobs put someone at risk and not just that type of service industry. Railroads for example. Crews are next to each other on trains. Do what’s right for everyone. Do they want their jobs to remain? If we go back to last March they will be gone. Do your job as I have to do mine or quit.

1 Like

This article is quite interesting. The whole workforce has been quite literally turned upside down over the past 18 months. I’m wondering at what point does the minimum wage rival what some starting salaries are in certain industries for college graduates. And what does this do for the demand for higher education?

2 Likes

100%. My husband changed jobs in September 2020. He works in warehousing/supply chain management, a vital job during the pandemic. At his previous job, he was frozen at the top of the pay scale, working mandatory 12-14 hour days for weeks straight with no extra compensation bc he was salary. On top of that they weren’t being careful with covid protocols.
His new job pays him 10k more a year, has a much better work/life balance, and a tremendous amount of paid time off. I do wish they took covid more seriously, but it’s a cultural issue. At least his new position has a lot less face to face interaction with people.

9 Likes

Oh and I have issues with the whole work/life balance thing. I think when I was in college I took work/life balance to mean I should only be working 8-5 with a nice lunch break and time to workout and take care of myself. Which, in general, is good practice. I failed to grasp, though, that if you are going to be successful in your chosen field there will come a season or two or twenty where you have to bust your hump and work/life balance goes out the window.

ETA: @ninjasherrie, it’s funny how our life experiences color our perspective. I do not speak to a position like your DH currently has. My DH is in an industry that is heavily commission based and it’s shocking to us how people are unwilling to work harder/more in order to see an immediate increase in their compensation.

4 Likes