Disney music question

Random Disney music question. I’m teaching my littles about composers and we are studying Scott Joplin right now. After listening to some of his pieces I swear they are played somewhere in Disney. I feel like it is Main Street perhaps, but I can’t place it exactly. Anyone have any idea?

I’m sure I’ve heard maple leaf rag on main street before.
There are loops of different land music on YouTube, maybe put them on in background and see if anything familiar pops up.

1 Like

Thanks, I will have to check that out. I didn’t know that was out there, but it would be fun to have playing.

Rag music! I love some hop skipping music! Joplin, rag music was early 1900s which is all over main street. Maybe not all background music from 1900s. Like music from Hello Dolly (one of favorie musicals) wasnt composed in 1900s but definitley reminscent of the time. I am not sure if joplins actual compositions are played on main street but if they were played anywhere it would be on main street I would think.

1 Like

Pretty sure the pianist outside Casey’s played Ragtime, including Joplin. I hope he wasn’t laid off and is just on furlough.:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s very catchy music! My DH thought it had to be Main Street too because of the time period.

Awesome! Thanks, that makes sense. I hope he comes back at some point though.

This is an old article, and for DLR, but maybe it’s used for both Main Streets.

This time around, over a dozen new tunes, arranged and recorded specifically for Main Street, U.S.A., will join many of the existing songs. Included in the new mix are such iconic period pieces as “Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis,” “In the Good Old Summer Time,” “Alexander’s Ragtime Band,” “Oh You Beautiful Doll,” Scott Joplin’s “Maple Leaf Rag,” and a recent tune given a turn-of-the-last-century arrangement, Michael Giacchino’s “Married Life” from Disney•Pixar’s “UP.”

Also, for us who miss the parks…

6 Likes

Thanks for the link! I’ve never been to DLR, but it’s on the list.

Me, me, me!

Also, that is impressive to watch, most impressive.

2 Likes

I love playing Maple Leaf Rag on the piano. Learned it as a kid and so play it by memory. Only…I have a problem. I can play the entire song EXCEPT there is a chord in the final few measures that I just can’t seem to get right, and I no longer actually own the sheet music. It is frustrating that I can play the rest no problem and then stumble at the end.

If someone owns the sheet music, I just need to see the END of the song. One day, I will stop being so lazy and actually re-buy the sheet music.

1 Like

I have it, but it might be an over simplified arrangement.
I’ll look it out…

1 Like

Last page. Any use? :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Hmm. You’re right. Not sure it is the same arrangement…not even sure it is the same key. But that isn’t the end of the song. D.S. al fine. So the song actually ends elsewhere in the music.

Actually, it might not be so easy to find the version I learned, either. I didn’t learn in the original form. My version was also somewhat simplified. The full version used more octaves and chords in the left hand than how I learned it, for example. But maybe what I really should do is buy the original version and learn it all proper like. Probably would be a challenge, since I basically play it by muscle memory to this day, so I’d have to overcome old habits.

1 Like

Oops :see_no_evil:

:slight_smile: No problem. But, actually, I might still be able to use that for now to determine the corresponding chord in the version I play. In other words, it is good enough to help, methinks! So thanks for posting!

(But…now I’m still thinking I might challenge myself to learn the full original version!)

1 Like

Maple Leaf Rag is originally in Ab major… although it modulates to Db in the Trio, it ends in Ab major. Since the copyright has expired, and the music is in the public domain, you shouldn’t have too tough of a time finding a copy of the original composition on the internet, but here’s a copy of the last couple of phrases…

4 Likes

and from the Music Man no less :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

3 Likes

Oh! I should have realized this. Sure enough, I can download it from the Library of Congress! Thanks.

1 Like

Now if you played an arrangement by somebody else, that arrangement may not be in the public domain, but the original should get you close enough to what you need!

Happy ragtiming!

1 Like