Disney dining plans for 2024

Just got my pre-ordered unofficial guide, which I’m excited to go through, but the first thing I skipped ahead to is on the dining plans and there’s no information available. I had no idea it had gone away for a few years! I’ve been going through random websites on the topic and feel like the information is a bit confusing so I figured I’d ask in here what you all think about the dining plan as it stands in 2024 and if you have a website that whose information/analysis on the topic you like. We’ll be going to Disney in Feb of 2024 and my first instinct was to do the dining plan (Family of 4 with two kids who will be 8 and 4) because it was pretty easy to use the last time we went 5 years ago, and I kind of liked the out of sight out of mind issue with the money being already spent, but a quick cursory glance at the available information is that it might not be advisable at the current price point with small kids.

Really curious what people here think and what their experiences on the dining plan are with small kids, assuming any experiences you have are still relevant. I’m not sure how much things have changed/are changing. As an FYI if we did it we’d probably do the one that includes sit down meals, and not just quick service.

There are a couple of tools you can use to check cost against your plans.

This one is still being updated:

3 Likes

Thank you!

Here is another article too! Should You Buy the Disney Dining Plan? | TouringPlans.com Blog

3 Likes
2 Likes

Setting aside any cost savings considerations, please review the contents of the new offerings carefully as they have changed from past plans. If you enjoy Signature dining, the new plans only offer 1 Table Service credit per day instead of 2 per day.

2 Likes

One change that you’ll want to take note of is that the new dining plan with 1 QS and 1 TS per day only includes one snack per day instead of two. Also Akershus and Storybook Dining at Artist Point are now 2 credits instead of 1.

3 Likes

First off you must use about every meal and snack to make it worthwhile. The odds are in Disney’s favor that you won’t and they will make money off you. (out of sight out of mind). I know the feeling on being able to just scan your Magic Band to pay for meals on the meal plan, but did you know your can do the same without a meal plan and wth a credit card on file the charge goes right to you credit card? Here’s the deal. A family, especially with picky kids, seldom use up the money they paid for the plan. You eat more than you would otherwise and eat every snack to get your money’s worth. For most people you end up paying way more for the plan than if you just paid as you go. Just something to think about before buying a meal plan.

2 Likes

I like the idea that it can only be used for meals and snacks. That way, I’m not tempted to purchase merch with it.

Although last time we went using the DDP, we had a gift card solely for use to pay gratuity and that worked rather well. We were not tempted to use it for anything else.

2 Likes

We definitely got our money’s worth the last time we used it in 2019 when alcohol was included. We actually had free QS and upgraded to the TS plan, but even if we’d paid full price we more than got the value out of it. And we didn’t ever think about trying to get the most expensive thing on the menu.

I wouldn’t buy it now though with the changes both to the plan itself and the number of credits at some restaurants.

5 Likes

I really think they should have kept the 2 snack credits. It seems like such a trivial thing to take away. We used the 2 credits always. And 2 TS credits for certain meals is bonkers. I’d rather pay out of pocket than use 2 TS credits.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s not a good use of 2 credits.

1 Like