Disney College Program (DCP) Posers

Greetings!

My 20-year old daughter – after applying every semester for 2 years – finally got past the application & web “interview” process & has a phone interview scheduled for next week. While we have been scouring web sites & googling everything DCP & DCP “interview questions”, I figured it might be helpful to potentially get some 1st-hand info from anyone here who may have gotten into the DCP, or has a child who has done so.

1. What kinds of questions were asked in the interview?
  2. What advice would you have to help her get accepted into the program?
  3. Do you have any advice or insight nobody has thought to ask? :wink:

FYI, my wife – who inexplicably could take or leave WDW (shocking!) – has said that if my daughter gets accepted, we would of course have to go down there to visit her… which… excites me just a little bit. Okay, maybe a LOT. :smile:

Many thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give!

1 Like

Oh good questions. My niece was asking me the other day and I didn’t have any info to give her.

I know there’s a thread on that “other board” (not chat) which is all about the college program. Maybe they have some info there.

Just sent my niece a text and asked her these questions. She went through DCP and was obsesssssssed with her experience. She is actually in WDW as we speak - flew down from Mass to visit all of the friends she made while in the program. As you can imagine, she’s busy having fun at WDW this week but she said she would get back to me - apparently the questions they asked were specific to each area so she will ask others as well.

Ooh I can’t remember! My CP was…probably 12 years ago. Yikes.

Why do you want to do it? Can you comply to Disney look? Are you comfortable standing and being approachable for extended hours?

Advice - smile while she’s talking, speak slowly, discuss a time when she did something nice for someone and how it made her/them feel.

Will let you know if I get more!

1 Like

Been a LONG time, and was a normal interview, not CP but: knowledge of the parks and basic operations (a scenario about two adults with a baby who wanted to ride Splash) will help. Some enthusiasm for the company…

@outer1 Have your niece google “Disney College Program” & “Disney College Program interview questions”. A wealth of info comes up. But still, I figured who better to ask than liners for any 1st-hand info or experience they or a family member may have?

@egkleinmann thanks, very helpful, hadn’t seen “speak slowly” before.

One thing my daughter has going for her is an excellent clear speaking voice & experience standing & being approachable for hours working part-time at a grocery store while going to college. :wink:

1 Like

A couple of TP Blog posts that might be informative: The Disney College Program | TouringPlans.com Blog and http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/12/21/cast-member-chronicles-melissas-disney-college-program-experience/

2 Likes

@brklinck Yes, those links were great.
When I asked TP if I could post about this topic (wasn’t sure if it was relevant to TP), Laurel responded very quickly, encouraged me & actually gave me those two links.

Thanks so much for sharing them; I should have done so for the benefit of others.

Hi also try Courtney's Blog Professional Internship Spring 2016 Disney College Program DCP Vacation Planner 2014: 2014 If you start from the beginning she talks about the whole process

1 Like

My interview was for entertainment, so questions ranged from “what experience do you want people to have when they meet you?” to “what would you do if a child was frightened of you?” answers: magical, and follow parental cues/get on the kid’s level!

I think the best advice I can give is let your Disney love shine through, but also let Disney know what you’ll get our of their program. Lots of us love/are borderline obsessed with Disney, but they need to know why it’s important that you have this life experience. I told them that I wanted to maximize my customer service skills with the industry leading company, and I wanted to make other people feel the same way I felt as a guest. Speak clearly and concisely, weave storytelling into it (ex: when a CM singled me out to get a free cupcake, it was an amazing feeling! i want to do that for others!) My advice is be flexible- you may not get your chosen role, but you’re more likely to be placed where you want if in your interview you demonstrate that the overall experience is more important than where you get placed. When I was asked if I’d be happy in Attractions, I said I would, and rattled off a few of my favorites, but I also mentioned that I’d just be happy in any role that requires guest interaction and allows me to make magical moments.

Best of luck to your daughter! :smile:

1 Like

That’s an excellent site @jec4289, I’ll be sure to pass it on.

Thanks

This one seems pretty nifty also: http://www.thedisneyden.com/

@kristenabelle Thank you so much! Excellent advice, some of it not immediately apparent either.
I will definitely pass this to my daughter.
I guess you like Beauty & The Beast. :wink:
My daughter played Cogsworth the clock in her high school’s production of it.

1 Like

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED
@egkleinmann @brklinck @TheGraceysButler @jec4289 and especially @kristenabelle

MY DAUGHTER GOT ACCEPTED TO THE ADVANTAGE PROGRAM AND WILL BE A LIFEGUARD!!!
Don’t know where she’s assigned yet, but will be going down around end of May through beginning of January.

WOW!!!

WE’RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD THIS YEAR!!!

Again, THANK YOU!!!
She was well-prepared for the interview & every little piece of advice helped.

ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº❊☆.•:¨¨:•.☆❊ºoº

5 Likes

That is so so so exciting!!!

How many times are you planning to visit? :wink:

As often as possible??!!! :wink:

Actually my DW isn’t into WDW too much, but she admitted that this will move her to go this year.
I’m guessing we’ll get her down there at least once & I might do a solo trip and/or a trip w/my other daughter (age 12) at some point. I’ve always wanted to try to do the “ultimate TP” as a solo trip… now, I might have the opportunity.

1 Like

Congrats! It should be a great experience for her.

After further reflection, it looks like I’ll be driving her down there whenever she starts around end of May, just my daughter and me. It would totally rock if wdw has its 24-hour MK day anywhere near that time. I would be all over that and try to do the ultimate tp.