Disney Bans Ice, Smoking and Large Strollers from Entering Theme Parks

And people somehow managed to survive and take their kids to Disney World…

Yes, and you really don’t see any after that.

I have to agree on the different time period sentiment. I didn’t watch the video, but when I look at older WDW videos there are MUCH fewer young children. I don’t have any data, but the overall park attendance was just lower back then and I have to assume fewer very young families were taking Disney vacations. Most were probably doing the “once in a lifetime” trip when the kids were a little older.

I do not have a monstrous stroller, but bringing both of my boys at under 1 year of age, I/they could not have survived with the literal umbrella stroller that you’re mentioning. Also, the Disney rental strollers are NOT small! But I absolutely see some of the stroller hate and most likely will not bring one when my kids are older. I am personally very glad that the wagons are gone.

2 Likes

Also not a lot of stroller age children around…and we know that Disney World used to have the 7 dwarfs around quite a bit back then…I don’t think it’s too much of a leap to say that Disney was kidnapping children and forcing them to dress up as short characters!

6 Likes

I think I’m this day and age, most workplaces are no smoking and it’s not that surprising that Disney has done this. Especially considering that they chose to put their smoking areas in quite popular places so people had to walk past them, so they probably got quite a few complaints.

3 Likes

They can’t charge admissions for strollers without charging for ECVs, which they are very unlikely to do.

YES YES.
I am 5’9” with ?short arms? and a bad back. These strollers are terrible for me. DH can manage them… his arms are longer.

Are you being silly on purpose? I’m unable to tell? There is no way whatsoever Disney would ban strollers. There are dozens of reasons why but if there was just this one, it would be enough: Families with infants enjoy WDW. Infants can’t use umbrella strollers.

1 Like

I’m rolling my eyes so hard at the thought of banning strollers.

3 Likes

Charging for ECVs would be a violation of ADA rights. But they do have guide lines. They have to be less then certain sizes. I think that strollers would also fall under ADA also at least in certain cases for sure.

Here is one that might work.

7 Likes

Right, that’s what I was alluding to in my post. And I agree with you about the strollers and the ADA so I think that Disney would be very unlikely to create a situation where they have to assess whether a stroller is truly needed for a disability (since they don’t do this for ECVs).

1 Like

I am being silly/serious. It’s obvious you can’t ban them, but strollers are way out of control, IMO. Infants and toddlers, fine. 5 year olds, no.

I don’t know the answer to that question - are you unable to tell? :wink:

1 Like

Love it. Until he let’s go and the entire stroller topples over from the weight of the handlebars! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. Agreed. Apart from some medical reason, I see no reason a five year old (well, I really feel a four year old) needs a stroller. Kids are more robust than that!

2 Likes

Kind of like Name that tune:
I can make that kid walk WDW at 5 years…
I can make that kid walk WDW at 4 years…
I can make that kid walk WDW at 3 years…
OK, make that kid walk WDW!

2 Likes

Well, we tried with our 3 year old and he just was exhausted. So definitely a stroller at three.

The thing is that the problem isn’t all strollers. They take up space, yes. Some people should be more careful. But for every bad stroller pusher there’s a person who sees the 6” space in front of a stroller and leaps into it to try to get two seconds ahead of the crowd. I found pushing the stroller INCREDIBLY stressful because I was terrified of bumping somebody, but people don’t give a stroller the same space bubble that they’d give a person, and it’s hard. Strollers are an easy scapegoat but impatient and pushy people are also part of the problem.

5 Likes

Which is why i proposed that strollers should be mandatory!

Actually, with the much greater crowds, we kept our kids in strollers long after they actually needed them. When we did RD or were in a particularly tight crowd, we’d maket them sit down. That way, I knew they weren’t getting trampled or lost. I knew exactly where my kids were.

8 Likes

But equally if lots of people are doing that, all those unnecessary strollers are adding to the tight crowd. Maybe if they were only being used for babies and toddlers (medical reasons is different) then the crowd would seem lighter and you wouldn’t think you needed it. Of course that’s academic because it can’t be tested and you can only deal with the situation as it is.

1 Like