Dec. 17 -22 meals & drink, let's go!

After a few weeks of getting back to reality (ugh,) here is the rundown of our meals and associated cocktails.

Trip was a college graduation celebration for my DD (22) and included my mom (74) myself (53). 3 generations of women back at Disney after bringing my kids every other year as they grew up.

We stayed at the Yacht Club, with the free dining plan. This was the first time we all agreed that it was a waste for us, as we would be happy with sharing an entree and apps. Between DD going out at night on her own (The Edison, Raglan Road, etc. and paying for drinks) and mom & I sharing a breakfast sandwich while she slept in, well, let’s just say the family dynamics changed lol.

First night, dinner at Spice Road Table - 8pm ADR, sat by the window. Waiter was great, decent view of Illuminations at 9:30. Food was good, not great, but interesting. We all like different and unique so it fit the bill. And the atmosphere is beautiful! Cocktails were meh.

2nd day we had a lunch ADR at BOG, and were all pleasantly surprise with the quality of the meal. But it felt/smelled like a dining hall, put me off a bit. And very hectic. Evening was EMH at EPCOT, but first we headed over to see the holiday night show at DHS. So no ressie, but had ice cream at Ample Hills on our way back to E so I guess that was dinner! And so good.

3rd night was California Grill. Same wonderful waiter from 6 years prior! Incredible service, food, cocktails. I know some reviews lately have been off, but we love it there. No rush - 7:15 ADR and went outside to see HEA at 9:15. Dessert was waiting for us on the table when we returned, timed perfectly. Could have stayed there all night chatting.

4th night was Tiffins at AK, which was surprisingly quiet. Could be because that day was driving rain and tornado warnings (!!) but we persevered. And it was worth it - got on FOP standby with a 45 minute wait before dinner! Again, waitress was wonderful, but I would say food was just good. Loved the Africa room though, totally digged the atmosphere.

5th & final night was The Boathouse, which I wasn’t stoked about and actually loved! Bustling, huge place. But the ADR was on time, the waiter was great (a theme all week) and we all enjoyed our food. BEST drinks of the week, all around - killer margarita!

As for quick service, we tried Santulli Canteen at AK and we all enjoyed the meal. A bit too much of a cafeteria feel for me though. I walked over to Boardwalk Bakery one morning, BEST breakfast sandwiches! Also had breakfast in E, France the last morning, can never go wrong there.

Still had 14 (!) snacks left on departure day, so we loaded up at the Yacht Club marketplace. Actually loads of interesting stuff to grab for the plane - hummus, quinoa, cupcakes!

I know this is sparse on details, but if anyone has ?? it might spark my memory.

8 Likes

Thanks for your report! Glad you had a great trip

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. It takes a while to settle in when family dynamics change, doesn’t it? But congratulations on raising such a confident young lady.

Recommendations on what to order at California Grill?

Everything we’ve ordered at CG has been fabulous. Last trip I had the King Salmon and loved it. Years ago my wife had a butternut squash ravioli dish which she said was one of the best meals she ever had. We’ve had great sushi at CG too in prior visits.

2 Likes

My DD had the pork shank and LOVED it. I had beef (great) and my mom had a seafood ravioli appetizer. But it was the waiter, who we remembered from years past, who really made the dinner special.

1 Like