Dealing with well meaning Family and Friends

I’ve been thinking the same @Tate, I don’t know anyone except friends I have met through the Liners FB page who has been to WDW (well and my immediate family) and everyone knows when they want to go, I’m the one to ask for tips!

1 Like

I proudly described myself as a Disney freak yesterday at my team away day.

3 Likes

I love this :joy:

2 Likes

Woke up this morning to a facebook post from someone reminding me to, “not forget Epcot.” LoL. A fellow science teacher who, like me, remembers the old epcot of World of Motion, Energy, Horizons, and Communicore. I dont know if I have the heart to let her know its not really the same park anymore.

4 Likes

Sorry for the double post, but i also wonder how many of the , “i hate disney” crowd is due to poor or lack of planning which makes the trip unenjoyable. #Liner4Life

9 Likes

We need to embrace and celebrate our crazy!

4 Likes

My friend asked me to help her plan so I started with the real basics - there are 4 parks. She asked if I’d been to them all!! Bear in mind the fact we go for 2 weeks… She then went on to say that even though MK doesn’t have any big roller coasters, she thinks it’s probably worth going anyway to have a look at the castle.

4 Likes

Wait a minute. What do you mean? It still has the jumping water fountains. Oh, and it has these REALLY cool doors that open up automagically as you approach them WITHOUT standing on a pressure pad! And The Land, and Spaceship Earth, and the World Showcase.

1 Like

A lot. I had a friend bring her husband and 3 children on the week of Thanksgiving, and she didn’t “discover” FPP until the second to last day of her trip. She said the kids were so miserable both of their MK days because they couldn’t really ride anything at all without huge lines. I felt so, so bad for her and them.

1 Like

I would say the deadlines. Those are the things people don’t know. When to book ADRs, then a brief description of FPP, then when to book those and how you can make more in-park. Done. After that, it’s much more niche stuff that makes OUR lives better, but that does not necessarily help someone who isn’t a huge planner.

2 Likes

I think people who don’t like Disney probably go at high peak times -school vacations- and have zero plans. I tell people are Disney trip with a 5 and 2 year old was the most relaxing vacation we have had as a family. Their mind is blown! So much for kids to do, Disney made everything easier and we really didn’t wait in any line! Only line was meeting Elsa. So yea really fun and relaxing.

3 Likes

Amongst my friends at work, our church and our homeschool group, I am very much the go-to Disney expert, which is comical when I compare my experiences with all of yours. We are now very infrequent visitors, and even in the prime of our trips, it was only every other year. We also have never stayed onsite. That said, because of the volumes of reading I do on message boards I know a lot of things that I’ve never put into practice.

The problem with my peers is that most of them have the same modest income that I have, but they don’t have the knowledge of the parks and they don’t have the wherewithal to try to absorb so much info. I don’t try to offer too much information. PPO ADRs, much less ADRs 180 days out blows their minds. I can’t talk crowd levels. Most have picked their days with absolutely no rhyme or reason.
Most of them are doing a once-off trip and staying in a value and many will go for the dining plans. I try to meet them where they are already at and help from there.

If I leave people with one thing it is to be there before rope drop and do as much as they can before they stop for lunch.

But - and this is what goes to the original question - it kills me when someone has done their once-ever trip and now try to be the advice giver to others. This is where I have to walk away. A friend at work just got back from a week at Fort Wilderness in the cabins. She has become the self-anointed expert and when I shared that I was thinking of a trip this fall with my daughters she started inundating me with old news or things that I know to be not true. She’s lovely as a person, so I just smiled and “mmmm” as I nodded my head a bit.

2 Likes

This is me! I was confidently (and correctly) answering dining plan questions a long time before we ever stayed onsite and had a dining plan. Among other things! That just comes to mind because a friend about to go for her 9th trip onsite with free dining still keeps asking me questions about it.

4 Likes

LOL

On our last trip, we got into a FP line at the same time a family with several kids went in to the SB line and I heard very well the husband saying to his wife ''I wonder what this FP thing is" and the wife said she had no clue or something like that. Both didn’t seem really interested in finding out.

My heart skipped 3 beats.

2 Likes

Yep, we hear this quite regularly too. What I really love is when we get in the Fastpass line for an attraction with a super long wait, and DD5 says “Mummy, why don’t all those people just get Fastpasses?” :rofl:

2 Likes

^^^^THIS :rofl::rofl::rofl: So true!!

2 Likes

I dunno. Part of me thinks we would have less trouble with automatic doors sensitivity failures (too much/too little) if we would go back to using pressure pads…

There is a Hobby Lobby near us that the sensitivity is way off. On at least TWO occasions, I’ve literally walked into the glass because the doors took too long to open. I’ve since learned to slow myself down!

3 Likes

And on the other end, you have doors whose range extends 100 yards onto a building (exaggerating) and open at the slightest twitch. Terrible for trying to keep inside at a comfortable temperature, because they barely ever close.

1 Like

One more auto-door complaint… people are so used to them that if you hold the door for someone they don’t even look at you or acknowledge you in any way, much less say thank you or smile.

1 Like