Dealing with well meaning Family and Friends

My mother made a comment about wanting to bring my brother and my familes at some poing. Setting aside the fact i would probably end up in prison for murder if i had to spend that much time with them all, but I would HAVE to be the one to plan it or i would just get annoyed.

Oh yea, and my mom was like, “you should ask you brother for help planning your trip.” My brother worked at disney in college…almost 20 years ago. But he did buy the unoffical guide last year so ill give him that.

4 Likes

Okay, folks. Flip the script. How many times have you caught yourself giving the advice to people going to WDW? And when you see their eyes glaze over while you talk about FPs and ADRs, do you think, “I’ve enlightened them but they still don’t understand”? Or do you think, “They must know all this and I’m boring them at best, but probably making them feel like I think they’re incompetant at being Disney-philes”?

9 Likes

I don’t have that problem as I only know about 6 friends who have been to WDW and they know I’m a planner. If it ever happened I think I would use it as an opportunity to talk Disney

1 Like

[quote=“ryan1, post:4, topic:57245, full:true”]
I think a response such as, “Oh, definitely!” is generally a good enough to let them know you appreciate the help, but you’ve got it handled already. [/quote]

I’m going to start using this response to all the annoying non-Disney reminders and statements where I grit my teeth and have to smile. My other standard is, “I hear ya!” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I don’t really have that problem. I have a different one. My best friend is coming with us on our next trip, first timer. I’m trying so hard not to overwhelm her. I hooked her up with KtP’s website cause that’s a little more user friendly than TP for first timers and she just wants the details on what attractions she can get on with a bad back. She’s leaving me to deal with all the “crazy Disney people”. Sorry guys. :laughing:

3 Likes

Wait! That’s an insult?

6 Likes

Whats crazy is spending this kinda money and not being crazy about it. At least that is how i sleep at night.

4 Likes

Lol! I was actually apologizing that I’m the one you have to deal with. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I agree with @Luigispice! How can anyone spend WDW $$ and not plan? I can’t even buy a coffee maker without research.

6 Likes

She would plan too if she was going by herself, but probably not to the extent I do. She knows I’ve been on several trips already, so she knows I will help guide her through the tough stuff.

I agree. I don’t understand not planning for an expensive trip, or really any trip.

1 Like

I met a woman while getting my oil changed who is taking her family for their first trip this year. I went crazy telling her things. She had told me that her cousin was a travel agent and doing the planning for her, but after a few minutes I could tell that I know more about the world than that particular ta. I made a comment about how she probably wished she hadn’t told me she was going. :rofl:

4 Likes

To a Liner, there is no such thing as “well meaning” family and friends - unless they also happen to be Liners. Depending on how much you like them, you can take the “oh, what a good idea” route, or the “yeah, right” route, or the “what do you think I am, stupid?” route. But regardless of the approach, think to yourself “oh these simple peasants - how little they know”

5 Likes

That’s what I do “it’s only fair that I tell you up front - I know way more about Disney than your typical 33 year old adult w/out kids. You let ME know if you need any tips” said with a little wink and a giggle :joy:

3 Likes

Ok, I’m going to add some more fuel to the fire, but I’m on a few Facebook groups for “Disney Tips” etc. and every day one or two people post, “First timer, what are your tips and tricks?” I have no idea what to do. Like, I can (and have) write a 10 page document on somewhat advanced tips and tricks. I have no idea how to approach the “so this is a FastPass and this is a Rope Drop and this is a bus” conversation. I mean, I want to help, and I want to clear up the inevitable torrent of misinformation which follows, but I am also coming from a completely different universe of planning. I’ve recently just ignored those topics and tried to clarify any blatant misinformation or terrible advice, but it’s hard to figure out how to be helpful without overwhelming the OP and without losing my patience with the OP.

My friends (at least my Facebook friends) generally acknowledge that I have some Disney expertise, largely because I’ve posted regularly when I find good deals, learn new tricks, or am in the throes of planning. I rarely get offers for advice.

I do get a little competitive when a Facebook friend asks for Disney advice and someone else chimes in claiming to be an expert. I kind of want to challenge them to a Disney-plan-off, but instead I just come on here and bask in the insanity.

7 Likes

That is why I don’t join Facebook groups anymore. I’m technically in one that I joined a couple of years ago, but I rarely go on. When I do, I just look for new info and don’t comment. I stopped commenting when the mods started deleting information they didn’t agree with.

3 Likes

Bah yes! Friends of mine just asked for advice and are irritating me because they are just not making time to have a phone convo - the trip is in a WEEK!

Problem is - they don’t even know what they don’t know. :flushed:

One of those where to start without making it overwhelming!

2 Likes

Disney Plan-off? Now that sounds like a fun game. :wink:

4 Likes

My MIL just asked me if we are going to Universal on our next trip now that they are a Disney park. She saw it on a documentary. :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Sounds like my family. We’ve taken them to WDW a few times, and they do absolutely zero planning because they know I’ve got their back. Normally I don’t even ask them for any input - I just plan a trip I think will be enjoyable for everyone and that’s worked great so far. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My favorite is the classic “I got a reservation at [insert resort or restaurant]! Has anyone stayed/eaten here?”

I always struggle to NOT respond “Nope. It’s been open for X years and no one has ever gone there. They just keep it open in case one day someone decides to.”

6 Likes