D23 September 2022

No I 100% agree with you.

2 Likes

My response to this wouldnā€™t even be allowed in the Uncensored thread.

3 Likes

I love HEA and the projections are obviously a major reason for that, but I also hate the mindset that literally every nighttime show has to have projections/screens. They arenā€™t a one-size-fits-all solution ā€“ there are tradeoffs involved, as even Disney now realizes. Iā€™m hoping the Harmonious replacement uses drones or other tech instead.

6 Likes

Epcot Foreverest

7 Likes

That would be absolutely awesome if they did. Drone tech has come such a long way and Iā€™d love to see what they could do.

As far as hea and projections, I donā€™t mind that that theyā€™re there, I just donā€™t want them being absolutely center stage or competing for attention. The Halloween fireworks are a great example of the problem. When I went, I couldnā€™t see jack skelllington because heā€™s only in a very small area at the ground.

That was a TON of money put out for a party and a fireworks show to not even be able to see the full show. And then the projections overly-competed with the fireworks. I liked both pieces, but was unsure what to focus on so I feel like I was constantly missing something happening.

So if Disney is determined to stick with this philosophy, I would recommend multiple showings when projections are the main show.

Enchantment wasnā€™t made completely better in July when they did multiple showings, but not having to fight for a spot for that second show time made everything VERY palatable.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve only been once, but I feel like Disneyland does fireworks shows really well. Yeah, they have castle projections, but unless youā€™re up close you canā€™t really see them, and they understand that. The fireworks themselves are still the star of the show.

3 Likes

I think part of it is people expect and want projections now. Hallowishes and Holiday Wishes, were quite popular when they ran along side Wishes.
But they then ran for several years along with HEA - and from what Iā€™ve heard their guest satisfaction score dropped quite a bit. People wanted the same calibur show for the parties as they got every night - and for most people, that meant projections.

I think they can get away with less in the way of projections for Epcot - as long as they utilize some other impressive cutting edge tech like Drones as part of the show. Has to be more than just fireworks and music to appeal to modern audiences.

4 Likes

I agree that there isnā€™t any going back. If you have a large surface to project onto, people are going to expect it. Which is kind of sad, because giant, colorful mid-air explosions are one of the coolest inventions of all time.

As far as projections go, though, I donā€™t think anything will beat the Tree of Life shows for me.

6 Likes

I agree. Just entertain me simply. I was there during their Pixar celebration. Great fireworks and projections down mainstreet that were simple patterns, not story. Inflatables on the roof during one song added an ā€œooohā€ moment. But when the UP House rose up behind the castle, I almost lost my mind.

2 Likes

For me, Harmonious is the best nighttime show Disney has done. I think I do actually like it more than HEA. HEA moved me, but Harmonious makes me happy. It makes me dance around WS afterwards.

Getting rid of it is utterly idiotic. It smacks of panic. Or poor leadership.

Iā€™m neutral about fireworks. But Harmonious gets them really right. They are utterly synchronised with the rest of the show and they add value to it. For me, a lot of the other fireworks just seem tacked on so that people will go ā€œooh!ā€ and ā€œahh!ā€.

I adore projections. I love the intensely bright, colourful imagery. I love how they change Cinderella Castle (and TOT) into something completely different.

The Stargate and tacos do add something to Harmonious. It would be the less without them. But they did come at a hell of a cost.

Iā€™m going to have to schedule two visits to Harmonious in December if the news of the date are true. Or ā€” hell ā€” just make another damned trip between December and March.

In April? Epcot Forever did nothing for me. And we all know Enchantment is trash. Well, maybe trash+ with the new beginning. No nighttime shows for me. I hope Tron will be open so that I can get it done and not need to wait till June, because . . .

In June? Honestly, it may end up being a UOR-only trip. I might do a couple of days in WDW: two parks each day.

7 Likes

Hearted before I finished reading because fireworks are one of my favorite things ever, being born on July 3rd and all.

But also the Tree Of Life? I would heart it twice if I could.

(Ooh imagine if that were a thing? @Jeff_AZ would spontaneously combust !)

9 Likes

Yes to everything you said about Harmonious (and Epcot Forever).

4 Likes

Enchantment will also be gone March 31st and replaced with HEA v2. So that might be worth at least checking out. For Tron they did say early spring so Iā€™m hoping that means March as well as I will be there in April.
Iā€™m in your camp - I love Harmonious. But at the same time I can understand why they are making the change. The negative guest reaction about the barges during the day weā€™re really significant. Almost as significant as the negative reaction to enchantment. The show itself from what Iā€™ve heard was decently more popular than enchantment, but got a lot of complaints about viewing angles, and there was a contingent that really didnā€™t like it and didnā€™t like it strongly. It didnā€™t draw enough people into Epcot at night like they had hoped.

Finally I also heard that the Stargate and tacos were a maintenance nightmare. Because they couldnā€™t bring them out back like they could the globe, anytime they needed to do maintenance it required a lot of effort, and they broke fairly frequently.

So while I really liked harmonious and wish it was going to be around for a lot longer, Iā€™m looking forward To what comes after Epcot forever late next year.

3 Likes

July 3rd twin!!! Best birthday ever since no work ever the day after!

3 Likes

Funny enough, as a floor nurse working the night shift I had to work my birthday every other year.

Now that I work outpatient Iā€™m off most years either day of or definitely day after.

It is the best birthday :partying_face:

5 Likes

July 5 is pretty good too I hear.

2 Likes

Not at all bad!

2 Likes

See, you nurses are so unselfish and just the best. Here you are working on your birthday while Iā€™m lighting off fireworks and likely to end up needing to come in for a nurse to help!!

2 Likes

LOL Just so we could celebrate our birthday together :laughing:

3 Likes

If your fireworks injury requires an OB nurse, Iā€™m thinking you might be better off at work after all.

7 Likes