Crowd Calendars and Wait Times

Remember that TP’s scales are based on wait times. So yes, it’s because park hours are lower and options are fewer. Though per the above, I’m curious about what assumptions went into the models, and how the scores may change as more attractions return.

I think the early entry may start in the Fall? (A guess if I remember)

They might be comparing to summer 2019 where AK averaged 6-7 CL’s.

Also, consider AK has fewer attractions than other parks, making queues longer. So even if the “crowds” are not bad, wait times will be higher which would elevate crowd levels.

eta: meant for @Sandyh
(I think all 3 parks are open the same length of time - 11 hours)

I think it might be because originally TP assumed that AK would be open later in the evening than what the recently updated hours are currently. So, TP adjusted the crowd levels to reflect the shortened hours?

OK, I had a Touring Plan made for a visit to Epcot on July 19. I recently received an Email from TP.com saying that the crowd level for Epcot on July 19 changed from a 7 to a 3–that seems like a pretty significant drop. Everything that I’ve read in these forums says that TP crowd levels are based on Wait Times, correct? Yet, when I hit evaluate on my Epcot Touring Plan for that date, none of my wait times changed, even though the predicted crowd level changed from a 7 to a 3. I’m just wondering why…

This thread may be helpful:

Small short-term update because recent predictions have been a little high.

2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes

Thought I’d share…good info on wait times.

6 Likes

Looks like Team “FPP Doesn’t Help Overall” is winning.

2 Likes

Yeah I think so. Waits do not sound bad. Although, it seems like a lot of visitors post-trip seem to miss FPP. :thinking:

2 Likes

I think if you went early July or earlier you probably had moderate to low waits, but since the most recent park pass dump waits have gotten longer. My trip saw average waits of 30+ minutes for nonheadliners and considerably longer for headliners. I missed fpp terribly and did not ride nearly as many attractions as I usually do. I’m also not the only one who has had this experience in the last 2 weeks. I am soooooo ready for fpp to come back.

4 Likes

I wanted to follow up with @rgandillon and your article on wait times, focusing on Pirates of the Caribbean as an example. My question/concern is the way the collected data is presented.

Here is that part of the article:

Wow, a 23 minute wait during prime hours! That’s the data I would like to see clearly posted in the historical data.

But here is the TP historical data from the same day:

It appears that the average predicted wait time (first column) of 31 minutes is very accurate to what the actual waits were. But to be clear, does the average ‘observed’ wait time (second column) mean the WDW posted wait times? This is the confusing part. “Observed” sounds the same as “actual.” Now look at the effect that 51 minutes has on the crowd level. It elevates it to 7! :thinking: So that implies that the 51 minutes is the real actual average wait. Can you explain this please?
https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar/date/2021-07-20

And the graph:

This presentation with the green dots (actual waits submitted by users) seems like the important data that needs to be presented somehow. (Which would be similar to the predicted waits.)

I always appreciate the graph so I can see the actual submitted waits. But it would be so much easier to just look at the first image to get accurate information than to scroll through all the graphs.

Thank you for your patience and help Becky :grin:

Eta:

The “what we saw” CL is the same as the predicted CL, which is expected. But why is the “observed” CL posted for individual attractions and why is that applicable to anything, since that number would be obviously higher than 6? Perhaps 8 or 9.

3 Likes

I 100% agree. The word choice is sometimes confusing. Like in the bottom graph the “average wait time we saw” is the Disney posted wait time I believe, but could also be misinterpreted to mean those are the actual average waits for the day. Obviously that’s not true when you see the green dot reported waits, but without those green dots it seems possibly confusing.

1 Like

Yep that’s a great point too. “What we saw” and “Observed” are the same I guess.

I’ve been touching on this for over a year now, and I just can’t seem to get an understanding response. I know all the data is correct, but unless you’re a data junkie and investigate yourself, it’s not going to make sense and not even be helpful to use

3 Likes

I’ve seen this discussed before by staff and I believe “observed” (and “what we saw”) is posted wait times. They don’t get enough submissions from users for most rides to have a consistent and reliable observation based on that, whereas posted waits in the app are always available for data collection.

I agree this is a little confusing and you have to make a mental adjustment whenever you see the data presented without user submitted wait times.

2 Likes

Oh ya’ll, don’t even get me started. Those actual, in-the-past data-filled pages drive me CRAZY. Don’t tell anyone I said that - I didn’t design them. I’m in the data every day, and those pages confuse me. I have to assume they confuse everyone else. But you’re right - observed is “posted” (we need to unify our language across posts/pages/platforms). The green dots are really what’s important, and how that compared to what we predicted.

4 Likes

Something else that is weird to me. Why does TP put so much importance into that 51 minutes if it’s not the actual average wait: (This appears very deceiving to me :grimacing:)

https://touringplans.com/blog/another-busy-day-disney-world-wait-times-for-tuesday-july-20-2021/

3 Likes

Thank you for understanding! TBH if this presented data is not helpful, why even post it at all!

2 Likes