Crowd Calendar needs updating

I am a new subscriber so please don’t crucify me but I wanted to see the crowd calendar because I’m constantly choosing the wrong days to visit the parks. It’s been so busy during “Halloweentime” that I decided to go on November 2, with a crowd prediction of 4/10. It was the busiest, most crowded day I have ever experienced with the exception of December holidays. Packed with people! California Adventure was the same. There’s no way that was a 4/10 or am I wrong? It had to be more like a 8 or 9.

I’m not feeling confident in the predictions on the calendar for planning purposes, and that’s why I subscribed. Am I missing something?

The postdiction math said that TP was wrong about the numbers. They predicted a 4, and postdicted an 8.

1 Like

Is this a word?

postdict (third-person singular simple present postdicts, present participle postdicting, simple past and past participle postdicted)

1. (transitive) To estimate or suppose something which took place in past; to conjecture something that occurred beforehand.
2 Likes

Did you just create that? I feel like you just created that

4 Likes

Ah no :smiley: the opposite of “pre” is “post” so if "pre"diction is a word, then "post"diction should be a word, as well. :smile:

2 Likes

Cats are sneaky creatures. I fear you’re being sneaky

3 Likes

I mean, you could be overwhelmed or underwhelmed. But there is such a thing as being whelmed. And what about not being disgruntled, and just being gruntled? Also, what is the nog in egg nog?

2 Likes

You don’t want to know.

If you know what Soylent Green is you might be able to infer what nog is…

4 Likes

:nauseated_face:

1 Like

To the OP: sorry for the tangent. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Oh, that one is easy. It’s Whiskey!

1 Like

Sorry you ended up on such a busy day. The tool @FelisLachesis is very helpful in letting you know why they were off. Their note there says rides were offline, increasing capacity on other rides.
Another thing to remember is that the crowd calendar predicts ride wait times, not actual levels of people. So it can be a crushingly busy day, but if all the rides are fully operational, the crowd calendar will still show lower numbers.
I think you can still have confidence in the predictions TP provides - obviously they can’t predict for every scenario - but they’re very transparent about analyzing when…and why…they get it wrong.

3 Likes

That was true on 10/1/21. MK was really packed, but no one was riding anything, so the numbers TP was using was really off.

I was also there on that day and it was indeed terrible. We only go on days where the site shows less than a 5 and even 2s are bad. We’ve gone around 20 times this year on 2s and 3s and they’ve all been extremely crowded. The only good days to go is when the weather is bad. But then they close a lot of the rides… So basically, it’s never a ‘good’ day to go to DLR…

I am planning a trip last week of May or first week of June and the crowd calendar is not updated for Grad Nites, they are announced for 2024. I’m confused that one of the parks is a 4 on a Friday night? And on a Grad nite?

May/June is way too off the radar for the crowd calendar to be updated. I believe they update a lot closer than that. However, 4 during the day (when crowd times are measured) actually sounds pretty accurate. Because DL has such a huge % of locals that come after work, Fridays especially are prone to be very enjoyable in the day and then by 5-6pm an utter madhouse, particularly when they all gather/hangout along Main St.

1 Like