Crazy Idea of how to walk to HS for RD?

Well if we don’t get eaten by land gators, get mowed down in the 6 lanes of traffic, fall in a construction pit, get hauled off to jail, or get sliced by the snapping cables from the Skyliner I will report back my findings. :wink::rofl:

14 Likes

And then…
You forgot all about the land mines.

Rideshare to the Swan is looking like a better and safe option with each and every step (er, misstep)

7 Likes

I think I see a magic band spiraling off in the lower left hand corner.

4 Likes

Disney is serious about keeping you contained to approved areas evidently! :rofl:

3 Likes

This is starting to sound like a Mario game, but I thought Nintendo was supposed to be Universal’s new thing?

5 Likes

Ah, yes, those pesky land mines. Haha!!

Yeesss! Lol!

Seriously tho Disney is SO inscrutable.

Look at the time and expense to build the MK-GF walkway. For what point and purpose . . . well, we know the purpose.

Skyliner is great until there’s lightning. Now walk to the Boardwalk where you can get on a bus. Are you to walk from HS to the Boardwalk?

From @david’s map it’s a really short direct route to CBR.

I’ve always thought Disney is transportationally challenged. Does anyone here remember the inane multi-colored flag system the buses used to employ to designate to weary guests how to reach their resort?

One does not simply walk into Disney.

7 Likes

You forgot the image:

6 Likes

While I’d love to walk more places at Walt Disney World, I realize that I am in the vast minority. People already think they walk too much at Disney World. Plus, given pedestrian behavior in the parks, I think we’d end up with some unfortunate accidents if Disney opened up too many pedestrian paths along roadways.

If people are spending an extra 30 minutes walking to HS from their hotel, that’s also 30 minutes that they’re spending with no opportunities to buy stuff, and they’ll probably be unhappy due to fatigue and dehydration. But maybe that simply means that we need some beer, popcorn, and glow product carts under the Skyliner between Caribbean Beach and Hollywood Studios in order to make that path economically viable. Kids would love it! Maybe Chapek would go for that.

1 Like

Show how it’s more profit producing and it’ll be a thing, for sure.

He needs mouse ears.

3 Likes

So I guess you can call me Frodo now because we did walk to Disney on Wednesday from CBR!

There was not one sign saying we were in a wrong place, none of it was backstage, and there were no fences to scale or even bushes to crawl under, not so much as a keep off the grass sign, nothing to indicate that we should not go where we went. And I felt comfortable crossing the road where we did as it followed FL law and it was at a signal so it was easy actually.

I will say, I probably wouldn’t want to do it with little kids because it was a 20 minute walk and maybe 35% of it was on grass. That wasn’t that big of a deal except for because of the morning dew at 7:45am your shoes are going to get wet. Leather sneakers worked well but cloth ones got wet. We arrived at DHS at about 8:05 with maybe 4 groups ahead of us for health checks but we ended up being the first group through the gates that day and first on MMRR. We actually completed riding MMRR and SDD by 9:42 with plenty of time to find a good spot to get a BG.

That is the power of being ahead of even the RD pack, we were already done with the two biggest rides for wait times before the park even officially opened, allowing us free access to every other ride while everyone else is still waiting. It really is worth getting up early for.

So if you really care about being ahead of the RD pack, I think it is a great option if you don’t have little kids, just plan out your footwear.

I think the SL is the next best option if you got in line for it around 7:50 to beat that line. You would probably arrive to the park around 9:05-9:10 and be behind the walkers and in front of the cars.

20 Likes

Honestly, I’m impressed.

8 Likes

You were right about that sidewalk on the red line not being there.

2 Likes

Interesting!

This got me thinking about another “unintended” walking route I’ve wondered about before, Wilderness Lodge to MK via CR. From the cascade cabins parking lot, there is a very short cross to World Dr, and there is a sidewalk that goes underneath the water bridge too. No crosswalk when you close in on Contemporary though. I wonder if this has been discussed?

Hmmmm, I will look at a map.

Google satellite view will give a pretty good idea. There seems to be some sort of path from the northwest corner of the parking lot, through the trees, to the side of World Dr. Then you need to walk on grass for 250ft, cross the road (no crosswalk or intersection here…) and you get to a sidewalk that goes almost to Contemporary. You need to cross again at a point where there is no crosswalk or even an intersection.

I suppose the crossings are the tricky part here from the perspective of whether it’s legal or allowed to walk this route. Otherwise it’s pretty straight forward.

You have to walk through the tunnel? That could be scary if there is not space for pedestrians. I’ve never been on that road so I have no idea.