Crazy Idea of how to walk to HS for RD?

@Patricioso Great minds think alike! :smirk::wink: I am all about the creative work arounds.

1 Like

True.

One thing to keep in mind about all of this. Right now, rope-dropping ahead of everyone else isn’t such a big deal right now. It really is just most important to get there and into the park before 10:00. Being first in line for RD or 100th in line won’t really make much difference.

Except for MMRR, that wait is ridiculous! If we could get right on that and be off before 10 to try for a BG, that would be the dream.

And with rising crowds and still no FPP, I would rather do my waiting before park open than during precious shortened park time.

2 Likes

Ok, new less risky plan. Please let me know if you see anything wrong with this idea.

What if you walked from the Aruba section of CBR? There is just a bit of landscaping it looks like from Google between the hotel and Buena Vista Drive. You could easily walk through that on grass, walk to the intersection, cross Buena Vista and take the walking path the rest of the way. Looks like a 20 min walk. Doable?

https://goo.gl/maps/Zr5cgc15k4Kyhus87

Dropped pin
Near Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort Aruba Bus Stop, Bay Lake, FL
https://goo.gl/maps/4Ep2aETwhczTL9DG9

That little peak of road you see when you go to Street View is the road around CBR, just walk from there and cross Lake Buena Vista and make your way to blue dot route on previous pic.

My biggest concern is that part of your path isn’t intended for pedestrians and I didn’t check carefully but I didn’t see any crosswalks for the major streets. PPL driving there are not always looking around for pedestrians, they are trying to follow signs, look for their turns etc. And usually driving too fast. I know you are trying to do something fun and different but in my mind I wouldn’t want to take the risk, I’m going to get plenty of walking in without adding more. If I think safety first I’d say take Disney transportation.

@Rialina I think you’re a little crazy for being willing to run across 6 lanes of traffic twice. Take an Uber/Lyft to the Swan and walk from there if you want to be sure to be at the front of the pack. It’s not worth it.

7 Likes

I agree, this is not a good idea. Disney don’t like people walking, the chances are security / police will see you walking alongside the road and stop you. And then you’ll end up back at CBR and possibly missing the 10am BG drop.

6 Likes

I thought I saw a crosswalk, but I could be wrong about that. Safety first!

2 Likes

If there’s a crosswalk then it’s a great idea. If not, it’s a crazy one. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately Disney did not design the roads between resorts with pedestrians in mind. Partly because the distances are deceivingly large, partly because the swamp land is very difficult to tame in a way that makes it safe, also the need for boat crossings like between WL and CR, and just because they like to control where guests can be! (I imagine they don’t like the idea of guests driving into WDW and seeing pedestrians on the side of the road, even on a sidewalk, rather than pristine wilderness).

2 Likes

Case in point: there very much is an intended walkway between Shades of Green and the Poly. There’s a nice wide sidewalk, complete with signs instructing walkers to watch for alligators. Picture included.

4 Likes

That sounds like the picture of the buffalo goring a too-close tourist on literature they give everyone when they come to YNP. (You know, the papers they find later, unread & tossed in the back seat, when the rangers go to secure the victim’s car).

I was really hopeful that they’d open this as a walking path. I’m not sure why they don’t, since ski resorts don’t seem to care about visitors being underneath their gondolas. I agree that it seems like the traffic crossing would be the big risk.

2 Likes

They have to have emergency access for the Skyliner, in case they have to evacuate. Having pedestrians on the path would be a hindrance to any emergency vehicles and the actual rescue process.

Ski resort gondola systems tend to be somewhat higher. They don’t send ground vehicles in to lift people out of them, they use helicopters. Big difference.

2 Likes

I would concur with @ryan1,. With limited capacity, HS is definitely do-able in one day.

I don’t see the difference of getting up early, standing at the gate or ropes for 45 minutes early, or sleeping in and waiting in a 55 minute MMRR line.

1 Like

The difference is that you’re wasting park time and potentially riding other attractions with short waits in that 55 minute line, whereas if you arrive 45 mins early you could have ridden MMRR before the park even officially opens and can then move on to other rides while the crowds are at MMRR.

5 Likes

To be clear, I was merely pointing out that it isn’t necessary to arrive ahead of EVERYONE in order to get through everything. Obviously, if you arrive ahead of MOST people, it is helpful. But whether you are early enough to get ahead of 5 people versus 100 people or even versus 1000 people isn’t going to ultimately make much difference.

2 Likes

Give the walkway a try. We all want to know so badly that I’m sure we would pitch in for your bail money :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Fair enough, lots of people (even liners!) don’t see the difference between being at AK 90 mins early and just waiting 2 hours for FOP during normal park hours and that was my standard response. I personally would still choose to be there early when the park is consistently opening early and when MMRR is practically a walk-on first thing, but I don’t expect everyone to agree!

8 Likes

I thought it was neat that MMRR was practically a walk on at opening. We didn’t get there particularly early… an hour before park open, waited for parking to open. I’m rethinking some strategies of going later and closing the park instead of opening it.

3 Likes