Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Your Friday monkeypox update…. :confused:

The WHO is meeting next Thursday to discuss.

4 Likes

!!!

5 Likes

I haven’t been following super closely - does this mean we can make appointments immediately for 6 months+ or is there another step we have to wait for?

3 Likes

This is it!! Depending on location though you may or may not be able to make an appointment yet, but if you still have any local vaccine clinics working on Covid vaccine outreach (our local health department has been) they will probably have them first & soon. Nationally it sounds like a lot of the resources that ran all the other vaccine rollouts have been pulled back so it depends on what the state’s resources are down to.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s just logistics now of getting the vaccines in place with the appropriate health care providers. With Monday being a holiday many places, I’d suspect by Tue/Wed you should be able to get solid info on where shots will be available in your area via Covid.gov.

YLE going really big time now. A whole article in Time!

Also, random update FWIW, they briefly mentioned nasal vaccines on In the Bubble this week. Sounds like those are unfortunately still a couple of years off.

4 Likes

While covid. gov takes the weekend to update, in case it’s helpful to anyone, this is a crowd-sourced list of vaccine providers and the details submitted by parents looking around for vaccines for their own <5’s.

https://t.co/QPRTb8rMZq

4 Likes

Bingo card check…never a dull moment in the 2020s…

1. China says it may have received signals from aliens
    China says it may have received signals from aliens | Live Science

2. Elephant kills woman, then returns to rampage funeral
    Odisha: Elephant attacks woman, returns in the evening to trample her corpse and destroy her house

6 Likes

FWIW, I work in a primary care pediatric office in RI. We will receive our first shipment of Moderna vaccine on 6/27. We will hold our first big clinic on 6/30.

11 Likes

Interesting interview with the coordinator of the White House Covid task force (it let me read the full thing without credentialling)

2 Likes

It looks like you can schedule appointments for 3-5 y/o online at Walgreens pharmacy.

6 Likes

Aha! I stumbled across something relevant clearing out old screenshots.

It’s symptomatic infection, rather than any infection, but will give you some data anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks for the yourlocalepidemiologist link, lots of good info there!

I think this article and chart is what I’ll use based on UK Health Services data:

yle

I’m trying to estimate the increased transmission risk from DD’s friend who freely chose not to get vax’d, vs a baseline of someone who was boosted when they first became eligible, roughly 25 weeks ago, which is all I could reasonably expect. I’ll extrapolate vaccine effectiveness from the chart and estimate 33% VE at 25 weeks, and further estimate that this person has 1 / (1 - 0.33) = ~1.5x higher chance of having COVID, heaven forbid, than baseline, all else being equal. That’s something, but not high enough for me to recommend increased precautions given that DD is already wearing an N95 indoors. I’ll just tell her to be careful not to take off her N95 around this person.

What’s interesting is that the increased transmission risk of being around someone who’s chosen to be unvax’d is quite a bit less than it was pre-Omicron.

3 Likes

DeSantis: ‘We are not going to order’ vaccines for kids for state health departments

DeSantis on Monday said state health departments will not ever offer COVID-19 vaccines to kids under 5.

Yeah, I guess that’s one way of looking at it.

“Interestingly, when passing through a tornado, seatbelts do much less to protect people compared to the degree of protection seatbelts provide in normal rainy driving conditions.” It’s that sort of a thing, I think? It’s as much the driving conditions as the protection itself.

1 Like

I would likely be ok with my daughter seeing an unvaxxed friend indoors while my daughter was wearing an N95 so I can understand your conclusion. That said, there are likely additional issues to consider that impact the odds of transmission with each interaction with an unvaccinated person of unknown infection status …

Is a vaccinated person less contagious ataxy given time than an unvaccinated person?
Is a vaccinated person contagious for longer than an unvaccinated person?

I don’t know the answers to those questions with respect to the most recent variants, but they impact the calculation of the difference in risk between a vaccinated person and an unvaccinated person.

2 Likes

Good news is research efforts are underway.

2 Likes

@Kitty_Ellas_Mom So which cruise ship were you supposed to be on? I’m hearing about lots of outbreaks.

1 Like

Thanks, it’s helpful to get a sense of how rapidly COVID is spreading on cruise ships these days.

Fear of being quarantined is one concern that keeps me from cruising again.

1 Like

Since most cruisers test themselves before the “official” test by the cruise lines what are outbreaks like this telling us about our tests and this disease? It seems unlikely that all these guests walked onto the ship carrying Covid?

Full disclosure- I booked a 5 night cruise for August 2023.

3 Likes

We cruised last August, it was great. We didn’t get covid.

I guess it’s telling us that even if you test before you get on the ship - or a plane etc - you still might have covid or catch it from someone else onboard. I suppose it does weed out anyone who has an active case on the day.

4 Likes