Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

At least not with the tools we have right now. It’s possible that with a nasal vaccine or a pan coronavirus vaccine we could achieve herd immunity at some point. Just not yet.

3 Likes

Yeah, I still keep hearing people speculating that we must be approaching herd immunity. Not happening. I’m not sure if they don’t understand what herd immunity is or if they don’t understand how non-durable the immunity has been shown to be since Omicron arrived?

The more on-point people, like YLE, are instead using other concepts, like an “immunity wall” that we need to keep reinforcing to try to prevent severe outcomes.

But there is no protection for the weaker members of the herd from the immunity of the stronger members.

2 Likes

Agreed. Our area is 28% boosted.

3 Likes

Just checking in here!
DH is fully recovered and back to work. DD8 Tested positive friday, and was allowed back to school (with a mask) on thursday. She had fever, sore throat and cough. The cough is the only thing that has lingered so far. I tested myself last friday (DD8’s positive day) and I was negative, and yesterday (day 5) and was also negative and I still haven’t developed any symptoms. I thought for sure I would go down, but nothing yet (There’s still time!)

10 Likes

It’s less than 50/50 odds, so hopefully you’re good!

The dice roll aspect of this is still so hard to comprehend. How a household member doesn’t catch it, but then a small opening in another situation allows transmission. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Dd had a group event tonight and one the parents dropped their kid off to later confirm that they (same parent) has covid, but that it was fine because the kid didn’t test positive and had already been at school today… :flushed::grimacing:

And we wonder why this doesn’t work

5 Likes

I just can’t… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

6 Likes

This is going on all over (repeated tens of thousands a time each day). Not that I agree with it … but isn’t the current CDC advice that a vaccinated person living in the house with a positive person is ok to go anywhere without any masking recommended?

5 Likes

No. They are supposed to mask for 10 days after the latest exposure if they are a close contact.

Also supposed to mask per their school guidance.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/quarantine-isolation.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/k-12-contact-tracing/about-quarantine.html

7 Likes

This is exactly what a friend of mine did. I was so disappointed in her. I went to drop off flowers to cheer her up because she had tested positive and if I had arrived ten minutes earlier, she wouldn’t have been home :woman_facepalming:t4: None of her household changed their behaviour or activities when she was positive. Apparently none of them ever tested positive, but I would never have been able to take that risk. When DS tested positive I kept DD off school too because i assumed she had already been exposed, which she had :woman_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

Giving a shout out to you all in this group.

My aunt and uncle in their mid-70’s both tested positive this week, both are vaxed but not sure if boosted. They live in a small town in rural MN and their doctors are notoriously terrible (luckily they’re about an hour from Mayo). They spoke to their doctor after testing positive and he told them to wait a few days to see how they feel before deciding about paxlovid.

Because of this group I knew they shouldn’t accept that answer and time is critical so they went to another provider and were given their paxlovid. Fingers crossed they make a speedy recovery.

Thank you all for the great info!

16 Likes

With so many vaccinated testing positive, it the guidance of not isolating immediate family and just masking if someone in the house tests positive seems foolish.

2 Likes

They can’t even get them to mask. There’s no way they’ll quarantine.

And even if they would, we haven’t done the work to put the support systems in place to allow people to realistically quarantine.

Many hourly workers don’t get paid sick leave.

Our schools here aren’t doing remote learning this year. Teachers may (or may not) give assignments (as opposed to piling them on when they return). And there is little-to-no instruction.

There’s just no desire to make the effort in so many parts of the system.

5 Likes

It is if fully vaccinated. But knowing you are positive and just dumping your kid (who is likely as well) on others just seems pretty unreasonable. I wouldn’t care if they didn’t already know in advance they were positive with a positive test.

Again im not losing my mind over this it was just pretty frustrating to put all your kids friends and families at risk knowingly.

6 Likes

Day 3 after the work meeting and still negative. Keeping fingers crossed.

7 Likes

I follow this stuff and even I had that CDC recommendation wrong. Can you imagine the people who don’t follow along? CDC has been terrible in their pubic education plan.

Now as a matter of courtesy for others … When my kids had Covid, DW and I didn’t go anywhere. We did curbside for all shopping/take-out. I went for daily walks outside but stayed at least 20+ feet away from anyone (crossed the street to avoid anyone else out walking) and had a mask with me in case needed. I also was testing almost everyday and was negative the entire time.

Unfortunately people like the person @XimDisfinity encountered are not taking others into account. Selfish and sad, and frustrating to those of us who care.

10 Likes

Same. Especially when your state’s education guidelines contradict the CDC. And I live in a fairly covid-cautious state.

3 Likes

That’s a big part of it. I totally understand the need to adjust recommendations to meet local conditions. But it’s like every state is running off a totally separate playbook at times.

The CDC definitely could have done much better on their messaging, but when it’s all so disjointed, it’s so much more challenging.

3 Likes

Well, the elderly person I most wanted to avoid covid has finally caught it. In the hospital for other reasons and probably caught it from the hospital. Is being well taken care of and I’m not asking for any specific advice, just unhappy and worried. Not sure if I should go on my cruise in less than a month but DH supports my going—and at this point it would be difficult to cancel, although not impossible. This person is already fighting so many other things, medically…in other news, DH and I ate indoors in a big crowd for the first time in 2 years…school event with a big dinner. I ate twice at six flags indoors last Halloween but it almost doesn’t count b/c I was sitting right in front of an open door.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that. Without knowing the situation I won’t advise on whether I would cancel if it was me. But I hope whatever decision you make you are happy with it.

2 Likes