Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Hope you stay negative!

3 Likes

Yā€™all really did! The measures taken were very reasonable.

I hope you and all your other co-workers come up negative (and are forthcoming about statuses). It would be really great if no one else was infected - both from a personal standpoint and also a case study in how well those protocols worked in a real world scenario.

Of course, there is the same caveat as the White House Correspondents Dinner - similar protocols, but many of the infected cases were known to have attended other events with lesser protocols, so itā€™s not clear how much transmission was at the actual event. Perhaps your event was small enough it could be sorted more easily.

3 Likes

Everyone in this group is going to be upfront - Itā€™s a good group of people who all really care about this stuff. I work at a relatively small tech startup and we are all very friendly and transparent with each other.

4 Likes

DS3 & I have Covid after avoiding it for 2 years. DH, DS2, DD & grandparents are all negative. Everyone is vaccinated. DS caught it at school from bff (vaccinated) at lunch. They mask otherwise. Iā€™m a masked teacher in another school. Iā€™ve been exposed numerous times at school & have managed to avoid it until it came home with my child. Maybe you will be ok too.

DS became ill 5/4 I started feeling ill on 5/8. Tested positive on 5/10.

3 Likes

Hope you stay negative. The lack of vaccinations authorized for under 5s is very frustrating.

4 Likes

It is. He turns 5 in a few weeks, so heā€™ll age into 5-12 vaccine before the FDA even meets for the <5 vaccine. But itā€™s been frustrating this whole time and I think a real failure.

4 Likes

That is awesome. I wish I had that. My coworkers are all miserable and complain about each other behind their backs like teenagers. Morale is horrid. Iā€™m a fool for putting up with this as long as I have.

Hope your family stays negative.

5 Likes

Sending hugs. Challenging co-workersā€¦ :persevere:

1 Like

yup, we got it too, after avoiding it all this time. No idea how - my husband brought it home. He did go out and have a drink with a friend on Monday, but friend is still negative and the restaurant was nearly empty. Heā€™s been sick a few days, on the upswing now; I tested positive this morning. Feel a little wonky but not too bad. Hopefully it will stay this mild! (We have been LESS cautious lately, but I would still say we are far more cautious than the majority of people around us.)

6 Likes

I know so many cautious families (including mine) who avoided Covid for 2 years and then got infected over the past month. DW has a group of 8 close friends from high school. 7 of them have either had Covid themselves (and/or husbands/kids) in the last month.

2 Likes

Seems to be a common comment here. Wondering out loud, not wanting to start a debate :upside_down_face: but is this happening b/c so many have stopped their precautions? I know we are still masking every where but the number of others masking is noticeably diminished. If masks are most effective when all parties are using them and not just one side :wink: , coupled with the potential of asymptomatic spread, I would think onsided caution can only do so much.

6 Likes

Definitely not in our case :frowning:
The only thing Iā€™ve relaxed is letting the kids meet friends outside of school and I didnā€™t relent on that until AFTER weā€™d all had covid.
Anything ā€˜riskyā€™ weā€™ve done since the start of the pandemic has been post-infection.

4 Likes

ohhhh, I can understand that. Itā€™s hard being the only one in a mask, sometimes, but I do it anyways :laughing:

3 Likes

Yip! Makes me feel a little self conscious, but then I remember that no-one can see my face, so itā€™s all good :+1:t2::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yeeesss, coupled w/ dark glasses and this introvert is in heaven :upside_down_face: :laughing: :rofl: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I think it is a combination of the BA2 and BA2.12.1 being more contagious and skipping precautions. Cases in our school went way up after (a) the mask requirements were removed and (b) lunch was switched for each class separated (with kids 3 feet apart) to a free for all with multiple classrooms in the cafeteria.

My family continued to mask whenever indoors (except for DW dining indoors twice when cases were lower in March), but DD6 obviously had to remove her mask for lunch in the cafeteria.

5 Likes

oh yes, the contagiousness is a major factor too.

1 Like

Our schools have been mask & vaccine optional this whole school year. No mitigation or precautions in place. I bought my own air cleaner & open windows, but no one else does. Only 3 staff members including me mask still in my building. I donā€™t have any students in my class that mask and that is the norm here. Pretty much everyone has had Covid at least once. Many twice just this year.
I feel that it is waning vaccine protection combined with variant are to blame.

3 Likes

Not just waning vaccine protection, waning immunity regardless of whether itā€™s from vaccine or from being infected.

Herd immunity just isnā€™t going to be a thing, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ahhh, canā€™t have herd immunity with flu or colds either. Anything that can be ā€˜caughtā€™ over and over is ineligible for herd immunity?

2 Likes