Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

And…Texas Medical Center is shutting their data reporting as well.

Lovely. :no_mouth:

1 Like

Wow

1 Like

It’s that line from “Naked Gun”: “Please disburse. There’s nothing to see here.” as he is surrounded by explosions and fire.

3 Likes

I just saw this. I’m much unimpressed.

1 Like

And here’s YLE with her take…

Also, I thought this was worth noting:

4 Likes

My friend that had Covid in March 2020 and was very, very sick (out of work for 6 weeks- scared us all) has Covid again. Yesterday she went for monoclonal antibody treatment. The doctor said every day one patient has a reaction. Yesterday she was the one- flushed, struggling to breathe. She rebounded after a while.

She needs to return again two weeks post Covid for another treatment.

4 Likes

That’s terrible! I know folks who are starting to get it a second time - doesn’t quite seem fair that you suffer through it more than once, especially if you really struggled the first time.

2 Likes

Coming back to this thread after checking out for awhile…mother (60 years old) is feeling pretty crappy. Waiting on a Covid test. What are the current treatment plans we need to push if it’s positive?

1 Like

“Managing COVID-19 symptoms
Most people with COVID-19 have mild illness and can recover at home. If you are worried about your symptoms, the Coronavirus Self-Checker can assist in the decision to seek care. You can treat symptoms with over-the-counter medicines, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), to help you feel better. Learn more about what to do if you are sick.”

Covid-specific treatments for those not hospitalized but at higher risk and must be taken within ~5 days of symptom start:
Oral anti-virals (usually Paxlovid)
IV anti-virals
IV monoclonal antibodies

Details here:

Covid-specific treatments are available for anyone in one of these 4 tiers:

Source:

Conditions increasing risk of severe disease:

Help finding treatments here:

General “what do do if you’re sick with Covid” below’. If it is Covid, highly recommended getting a pulse oximeter (they are about $20 on Amazon) to monitor oxygen levels to know it it’s getting more serious.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions. Praying whatever it is resolves quickly!

6 Likes

Its the rona. She cant take Paxlovid due to some of her medications but is going to push for antibodies. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Hope she recovers soon.

1 Like

Tuesday.

3 Likes

My niece’s FIL just had Covid which he caught in the hospital. On top of having pancreatic cancer on top of having a kidney transplant. They didn’t think he would make it, but he did. I know they test for MRSA on admission to the hospital. So I don’t think it would be groundbreaking to continue testing for Covid indefinitely.

7 Likes

:raising_hand_woman:
Covid is my/our new Christmas tradition. Had it in December 2020 and 2021. Much easier the second time around post vaccine, post first infection, and Omicron most likely a little lighter than the earlier version.

4 Likes

:persevere: I can’t even imagine. So glad he made it through. That definitely makes about the best case possible for keeping that testing going. The cost and time is minimal and the chance is higher of preventing really bad outcomes. Seems like something most hospitals and communities should agree on.

3 Likes

I’ve realized that I am not at all handling the “normal” end of school year after 2 years “off.” :open_mouth: I mean this introvert is ready to hide under the covers. The thing that’s getting to me is that I typically make my calendars up to a year ahead and I know when most if not all of the big school events are, but now they are coming up with stuff last minute b/c "oh wait, we can actually do that again. " These things got planned totally last minute this year: band concert for HS age son, 2 concerts and 5 required rehearsals, got a month notice. Band concert for younger 2 kids, got about a week’s notice. Ceremony for honor society is no longer virtual like it was past 2 years, just found out it’s next Tuesday when I’m supposed to be picking up older son at school. We are trying to find a day to go do something we need to do after school but every day in next 2 weeks is filled. One big change is kids are in 2 different schools now and they were all in the same school last few years.–but none of these things were actually happening. At this rate I can’t wait for summer, which for us is mid June. Arggghhh.

4 Likes

I kind of felt that way in May even pre-pandemic but I agree with you that there seem to be a lot of extras this year “because we can” and for some reason like 50% of them are on short notice or all in May when they used to be in March-May. It is very weird!

Silver lining to covid, I am much more comfortable just saying no and trying not to do it all. Have done that for some end of year parties and also my kid was disappointed to learn she’ll miss her (last-minute) music performance to do an important doctor appointment … which was rescheduled because she had covid when it was supposed to happen.

I really didn’t appreciate in 2019 how normal and relatively predictable life was!

3 Likes

Hindsight truly is 2020 (I think this was touched on in one of the earlier threads). But really, it’s so true. And I find myself yearning for at least the ability to plan for anything (especially school but also things that were so trivial in comparison in 2019 like a visit to the aquarium or dinner plans away from my dining room table) without having to do what I have termed “risk calculus”.

4 Likes

Supportive heart :heart:

I like to have as much advance notice as possible too. In the before times, in order to plan with DH, we had to have discussions on the logistics of driving there, how long we would stay (so he could know when he could expect to be home) and most importantly, if there was any impact to what time we eat, have a plan in advance. And then on top of that DH & I both are wildly indecisive so there’s lots of waffling back & forth when we are on the fence. Now that there’s Covid to consider all of that is amplified 1000x and for the most part if staying at home is at all an option, we take that option. And if it’s last-minute it feels like my whole world gets turned upside down because then I have to compress the planning conversation with DH and neither of us love being forced into a quick decision. Another reason why we default to ‘Can we just stay home?’. It’s taught me to really say no to things I would in before time feel obligated to go (or obligated to have the kids participate in). And while it feels a bit like a downer to be the one declining invites & we worry one of these times we will offend to the point of never being able to be invited again, we also still balancing against the risk to our youngest 2 kids that haven’t had the chance to get fully vaccinated & anyone who has qualms with that clearly isn’t someone I need to prioritize in my life. I get that school commitments are a little different (and I know those are a whole other ball-game that require our hardest decisions) but if things were getting foisted upon me for those things, I would be a lot more apt to really dig down into what’s our obligation, what value are my kids getting out of it & really pick those apart before making the effort to go.

4 Likes

I thought this was interesting - not surprising, but interesting.

A significant proportion of COVID-19 transmission is asymptomatic or presymptomatic – potentially as high as 60%, according to a 2021 JAMA Network Open modeling study.

That may be even higher now, as early reports have signaled a greater percentage of asymptomatic infections from Omicron than from previous variants. That could have a lot to do with higher baseline levels of immunity in the population when that variant hit, Helen Chu, MD, MPH, an infectious diseases physician at the University of Washington School of Medicine, told MedPage Today.

7 Likes