Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Could medical people weigh in on why masks would be ending before transmission is much lower? I just don’t get it. (Or, rather, I get it as a political move–for both sides–but I don’t understand it as a medical move). It seems that every time we start to have a decline of cases there is talk (or, in this case recently, a lot of action) about ending mask mandates. To me it would make more sense to wait until transmission is actually low or at least moderate. I’m thinking of the scale I’ve seen a lot of red = severe, orange = substantial, yellow = moderate, green = low. And I am thinking, on a personal level, of the cruise on Princess I have for June where I have to decide in early March. All of a sudden several cruise lines are ending their mask mandates. I think Carnival ended but not yet Princess; I’m aware that Carnival owns Princess. Royal Caribbean ended the next day after Princess. I get it, but I also think I would have felt more safe if masks were required in at least some of the indoor areas there. I’m proceeding with the assumption that the mask mandate will be over when I cruise, but I’m also hoping that virus transmission will be lower. But, who knows.

6 Likes

Are the cruise lines ending their vaccine and/or testing requirements?

1 Like

I don’t think so…I watch a couple of you tubers often, but I don’t pay a lot of attention if it isn’t the cruise line I’m going on. It seems to me that the masks are going first before vaccine / testing requirements. The main thing that’s causing me stress thinking about my trip is the constantly changing rules re when you have to have a test done before boarding the ship, and at the end to get on your flight home. It seems like those rules change every couple of months, sometimes with no notice. Like a rule for having to have a test 3 days in advance of sailing changed overnight to one day in advance of sailing. My favorite you tuber actually got held back several days once recently b/c his test results didn’t come back and he couldn’t board his flight home; I think this was in summer. It provided me with a real life example of what can happen.

1 Like

He couldn’t fly home from one country to another? That does not happen if it is a US cruise?

From YLE:

5 Likes

It’s not a medical recommendation. The American Academy of Pediatrics is still recommending masks in schools. Last I looked, so was the CDC. It’s completely political that they are dropping mandates now. Our school is likely going mask optional on 2/21 because that’s when the new state policies go into effect in NC. Meanwhile, we’re still at the highest number of cases in the school during the whole pandemic.

It’s like everyone saw how bad it got, and now that it’s a little better, it must be over. I get that people are done with it, we’re all done with it, but it’s not done with us.

The public servant in me is crushed by the unnecessary illness and suffering that will result. I just hope that relaxing all this doesn’t lead to another new variant and extend this hell for longer.

8 Likes

I get to go home tomorrow! One last stay for a night at a hotel near the airport. That is nowhere near as nice as the resorts I stayed at.

Covid has been very much a non-event for me -other than forcing me to isolate in Florida (not a hardship) My guess is next week they’ll change the travel rules, just because I had to do this :joy:

I’ll be seeing Florida again in a short 6 1/2 weeks for Springtime Surprise. Where I should not be surprised by a Covid + test again (and thankfully will not have to do any tests!)

10 Likes

Gee, I don’t remember well. I will go look back at his videos. He’s from Canada and I think he was on a US cruise and had trouble getting back on a plane to go home to Canada from LA.

Whats the guestimate on Disney rolling back masks now that both universal and California have relaxed rules?

My sense is that Disney guests are on average more covid-cautious than Universal’s, and WDW is surely aware of this, and also more likely to have under 5’s in the park, so I wouldn’t count on a change until vaccine approval for that group. Just my guess.

2 Likes

With Mass. And Cali. Rolling back on guidance and under 5s are unlikely for approval before may now I’m thinking they won’t wait for it. I think it will be early to mid March roll back for masks and follow universals lead assuming they don’t get too much bad press.

2 Likes

Every action results in a reaction. Maybe they need a while to prepare for that reaction?

When Universal dropped their mask mandates, is that the end of mitigation strategies against Covid (or are we saying having hand cleaning stations are something that shouldn’t have always been there)?

I wonder if there is a number that Disney will be able to justify the reaction. Actually, I am sure there is a number but I am curious what that would be and if it is National or FL.

2 Likes

Definitely, I imagine a lot of planned trips will be cancelled if they announce suddenly they are removing all indoor mask requirements. At this point they have baked in people who wouldn’t go because of masks but don’t have baked in those who won’t go without the requirement.

Mind you I’m not arguing for or against them. I’m lucky enough to be in an area taking things seriously and have been fortunate to avoid infection (symptomatic at least).

1 Like

Yes, I am not arguing for or against. I leave in 8 days and I have been expecting it might change but I don’t think it will change anything for me, personally.

4 Likes

You should be good. I’m sure they will give a couple weeks minimum warning for everyone. I wonder if you’ll be able to catch the Superbowl champ parade.

I think they gave 4 days notice in June?

I think the super bowl parade will be at DL this week!

3 Likes

Regarding masking, is this Disney’s decision or the CMs’ union?

I think I’m recalling that agreements with the union were why it took longer for WDW to open than Universal back in 2020.

This idea has made me think, thru variants, thank you CM union, for looking out for your people.

Oh, gosh, not meaning to be political. I will gladly remove if needed. :confused:

3 Likes

I think most union agreements ended last June (when they lifted the masks)?

Ok I went back and looked at the videos (from Don’s Family Vacations on you tube, July 31, 2021). The problem was that his ship, the Celebrity Edge, gave him a covid test so that he could get on his plane but his results were delayed so long that he missed his flight. Then the additional delays for days were flight related, it seems (I went through many videos and still didn’t get the full picture). This was more than 6 months ago, hopefully it would run more smoothly now. I think he needed the covid test so that he could board a flight from US to Canada

1 Like

That’s right. I recall that now. I think maybe a renegotiation between union and Disney.

And the entertainers union was still slow to warm up to performing a lot.

I don’t mind. We were ultra safe with the robotics kids pre-omicron and it paid off. Just kept on doing the same thing. No confusion.

2 Likes