Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I found more in-depth reporting. It sounds like it was a presentation of what CDC already plans to do, and was just an advisory to kept ACIP in the loop.

1 Like

Also from same ACIP meeting:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the revised booster guidance!

1 Like

I’m adding this study looking at menstruation for covid positive women as well.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8452349/

2 Likes

I’m curious, who are these proposed doses scenarios meant for? Immunocompromised who weren’t vaccinated in 2021?

We’re at exactly one year since first Pfizer dose along with probably a whole grunch of folks our age. Some of them may be wondering if there’s a way-back machine. :blush:

1 Like

I hope you have a wonderful time alone!!! Sounds great. I understand completely about not even wanting to leave the room to get food. That’s why I think I can easily stay safe on my staycation----last time I did this (June) I seriously had no interest in leaving the room. I did, and enjoyed some outdoor stuff, but. mostly just enjoyed getting food from the in hotel restaurant.

1 Like

Well, yes, it is designed to cover guidance for anyone immunocompromised that is not yet vaccinated. Or anyone not vaccinated that is newly identified as immunocompromised.

But it also gives a path forward for the immunocompromised that are already vaccinated to pick up whenever they are at.

For those that initially received mRNAs, they were just authorized for their 3rd “additional shot” in mid-August. So only those that got that 3rd dose in the first couple of weeks they were eligible had reached the 5 month mark yet. This makes those that got it through early November eligible for the 4th dose.

I’m fairly certain the August “additional shot” guidance specifically excluded immunocompromised that received J&J. I can’t recall any intermediary guidance for them, so they may have only been officially eligible for their second shot when all J&J recipients were in October. So this is a much more proactive immunization schedule for them.

1 Like

I’m curious how many of you personally know people that only got a single dose of an mRNA vaccine and never got a second dose? (I’m sure there are some that had a hard time with side effects so didn’t get the second, but curious how common that is?)

I’m playing with some napkin calculations, and I’m really starting to wonder how many of the recorded “first doses” are really second or third doses. (I’ve heard anecdotally of a number of people that got booster doses early by requesting them as first doses, in addition to the problems the CDC has acknowledged in second and third doses being misclassified either at point-of-care or somewhere in the data submission. That seems more common than skipping the second dose?)

This would mean there are more “fully vaccinated” and also “boosted” people in the US, and also more unvaccinated people.

Here is what percentage of first doses had also gotten their second doses at various points according to CDC:
5/31/21 84%
6/30/21 88%
7/8/21 89%
8/12/21 87% (right before boosters officially started)
2/3/22 84%

I’m finding it hard to believe over 10% of the US population got their first shot but not their second?

2 Likes

What I really wish they had was an ongoing and easily accessible antibody prevalence tracker that would show the percent of the population that has some degree of immunity (whether by infection or vaccination) vs naive by location over time. It would just need to be a random sample. That would be very helpful as an anchoring data point.

3 Likes

Not this?

ETA:
There is also this:

4 Likes

Yes! That second one is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Glad I asked.

This is what gives me hope that this could be the last major wave, at least that causes significant death and hospitalization. It looks like the most recent data was November 2021 and we were already in the low 90% seroprevalence. I would bet we’re within a few points of 100% after omicron.

2 Likes

Curious. Would you have looked at the above and thought this was possible?

1 Like

:man_shrugging: All I know is that we aren’t at 100% yet and haven’t been ever before, and once we reach that threshold, that’s an opportunity for the historical trends to no longer apply. Doesn’t mean it’s over, but it will be a new phase of the pandemic that will be interesting to see what happens.

2 Likes

Not up to any math at this time, so help?

67% of population over 16 has one shot.
How many people is this?
Not counting who has 2 or 3 shots.

Here’s some other interesting info:
In the robotics group, 80+% have at least 2 shots. Considering kids and parents - some have one - maybe 100 people. I know of 4 kids testing positive (one unvaxxed) and 4 parents testing positive (one unvaxxed), no hospitalizations, all well within 10 days (unvaxxed) or 5 days, vaxxed.
Is this a high percentage?

And for good heart stopping supper conversation, one of the tested-positive parents was telling us about this nugget dropped nonchalantly by his probably not quite yet 16 yo DS: “I haven’t been able to taste my food for 4 days.”

:hushed:

3 Likes

It’s weird when you know your body is fighting a virus - but you feel fine. So far. I was negative on Rapid on Wed morning (that’s when travelling companion tested positive - she took test because of symptoms). I was positive on PCR Thursday afternoon, rapid Thursday night was super faint, then it was positive Friday morning. (Yes, I was in slight disbelief so I did 2 rapids that I had on hand :crazy_face:) I’m hoping this is it and my symptoms don’t take a turn. I am fully vaxxed and was boosted just before Christmas. I only just sorta feel something in my throat/neck area, and have a very slight cough. (…and upper back pain, but that one is normal for me)

We are guessing the travelling companion was exposed last Saturday. They did touring off Disney property, including going to Dennys :woman_facepalming:. (I apparently should have told them to not go to restaurants off Disney property)

5 Likes

Well, that was as of November, I think? Are you specifically interested in now or then?

Here is recent data for 18 and over (so should be ballpark close to 16 and over), since I had already pulled these screenshots yesterday…

Mathing from that…
Population 18 and over is 258.2M
Unvaccinated 33.1M (12.8%)
One shot 33.2M (12.9%)
Fully vaccinated (unboosted) 104.8M (40.6%)
Boosted 87.0M (33.7%)

Is that roughly what you were looking for? @janamelia

I’m not sure what you’re asking? High compared to what? Your local case rates over the same time frame? National case rates? Vaxxed vs unvaxxed within that group?

The “I know of” is also challenging. A lot of people I know have had Covid and I only find out some time later through casual conversation, so it’s hard to know how complete your data is to compare to…whatever you were wanting to compare it to? :crazy_face:

Plus at home testing makes it just about impossible to compare. The people we all know with Covid might never be included in the “official” numbers. I know my family was positive but they are not included in any reported figures.

3 Likes

So the above is based on the CDC numbers in the screenshots. Unless someone gives me some insight(s) into why so many people would only get 1 shot, I don’t think I’m buying it. For instance, there have been bumps in vaccinations due to federal and other employer mandates, venue mandates, etc. All of those would be highly motivated to get the second shot. There will be some that have a reaction to the first shot so stop, but with all the booster talk, I’m not sure what other significant motivators there are to not get the second.

Just playing around with some numbers on a fresh napkin, if I had to make a wild guess, I think the rates are more like this in 18 and over:
Unvaccinated 20%
One shot 4%
Fully vaccinated (unboosted) 36%
Boosted 40%

1 Like

I have a friend that is immune compromised. She received an early J&J. She went and added a Moderna as an “first shot” later. Is it possible there are many people like her?

3 Likes