Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Sending hugs!!

I can remember one long night my dad and I spent in the ER waiting room after I had an episode that the ER docs and my doc finally determined was my version of a panic attack (legs go numb then get heavy and I’m not hyperventilating or struggling to breathe, but I have to consciously think about it for a few moments - I never do anything “normally”). I was clearly - and rightly - pretty low down on the triage totem pole. While we were waiting, someone brought his mother in with chest pains - clearly more important than anything else in the waiting room, but one guy who was with someone waiting for something higher up than me but not as severe as chest pain almost beat the poor man up because his mother was being taken back first. When they finally called me, we were walking back and heard someone say “We have a GSW to the chest coming in…” and were about to head back to the waiting room on our own but the ER worker taking us back stopped us and said “No. You’ve been so patient. I’m putting you in a bed for the rest of your wait.” We we’re very grateful - and knew that the person coming in was much more important.

Thank you for all you and all HCWs do!!

3 Likes

Isn’t that so hard? Being frustrated about waiting, but watching those sliding ahead and thinking “Oh, my goodness! That’s so much worse than what I’m dealing with!”

When DS12.1 was 3, he was running a 103 fever and one side of his neck was swollen. Our pediatrician wanted the swelling looked at and imaged so sent us to Texas Children’s ER. I think we got there about 3pm. Watched folder after folder get moved ahead of ours. He was feverish and cranky but otherwise seemed pretty ok so it was hard to complain about some really sick kiddos going ahead of us.

The worst part was they told us not to give him anything to eat or drink in case they needed to drain it or whatever. But couldn’t tell us how long it would be. AND they were doing otherwise sweet things like handing out popsicles in the waiting area, which we confirmed we should decline. He was so thirsty and hungry.

Finally, at 10pm, we got in touch with our pediatrician’s on call. There were so many kids obviously in worse shape coming in, we didn’t see much hope of being seen, and thought maybe we should go home, feed him, get some sleep, and try again in the morning. He told us to stay put, calls were made, we were seen and then admitted in the wee hours.

It turned out to be Kawasaki disease (it would take a couple days to sort that though). He went into shock the next morning, so super glad we didn’t go home.

We feel so fortunate to have come through that unscathed.

My heart just goes out to every family dealing with a pediatric hospitalization right now. Covid+ or not, it’s so stressful, and the prevalence of Covid and the overstretched healthcare system must be layering on top of that.

The staff were obviously trying their best, and in several other visits we’ve never encountered that kind of wait. I can’t imagine what it’s like now though. I don’t know how one deals with a job with that level of stress and importance.

5 Likes

Oh wow! I can only imagine how that felt!!! I’m glad it all worked out in the end!

1 Like

Mother Mayo has been so good to us. Noseworthy’s speechwriter - that’s so cool!
The cold here is miserable, especially this time of year, but I can’t imagine leaving. DH loves the cold. Weirdo.

Speaking of how good Mayo is - DH and DD got tests yesterday afternoon - results came back overnight. I did mine about 5:30 and just got results back. Less than 12 hours for each of us!
DH is positive, the rest of us are negative! (I made DS take an at-home test since he had zero symptoms)

So, poor DH is isolated in the basement. With any luck, he’ll avoid spreading it.

6 Likes

Hooray for a place to send DH! So sorry he’s sick. Glad the rest of you are negative. Hopefully it stays that way.

3 Likes

YLE did a really good overview of the data on risks to kids from Covid.

Here are a couple of the numbers I think people have been more interested in:

2 Likes

“There’s no bad weather, only bad clothing.” - Dr. John Wilkinson, whose daughter is a close friend and who has walked for exercise outside every single day without exception for like 10 years now. In zumbrota!

4 Likes

I feel like Katherine Wu does a really good job in even-handedly covering things and highlighting the nuances.

(The article is more even-handed than the title suggests.)

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out, because the title suggests to me a doom and gloom, worst case scenario piece, which it is not. The choice of title is unfortunate. I guess “mild” depends on whether defining in a relative sense (to delta) or an absolute sense. Can anything that puts anyone in the hospital be called mild? And likewise, can anything that doesn’t typically put one in the hospital be considered serious? I don’t know, too many criteria to consider and statistical methods to comb through.

On a lighter note, it’s cool that many here are aware of so many experts and have their favorites that they follow. It reminds me of trading baseball cards as a kid for some reason. “I’ll give you my Deborah Birx rookie card for your YLE Ultra Special Edition. Hey, why does no one want this Joe Rogan card?”

13 Likes

:joy:

1 Like
1 Like

I knew there was a reason I liked you. One of my pandemic activities was moving my childhood baseball card collection from my parents house to my house and looking through them. Brought back some great memories from the 70s and 80s.

6 Likes

Because keeping my workplace safer from COVID is not for OSHA to do because reasons. Sigh.

7 Likes

My current office is requiring vaccines to come back into the office not because of the osha rule but because the clients are requiring those working on their projects to be vaccinated in order to come on to there sites. My guess is any company that has said they are required will keep it that way.

2 Likes

Huge news on my work mom’s son! He ate food for the first time today! Let me remind you he has been in the ICU since September 12 and today is January 13 so 4 months of not being able to eat. Major milestone for him.

25 Likes

:partying_face:

1 Like

Because we were mentioning Bob Wachter in a couple of things recently, I noticed this today:

I don’t have kids under 5 but a lot of my friends do and I really feel for them right now. Ditto we have a very immunocompromised friend in my kid’s class who is in a very tough place right now. So I don’t mean to make it sound like this is not an issue anymore but the change in messaging from Wachter is notable for him.

3 Likes

Well, I think people that stop at that headline miss that his messaging is all dependent on this, that he repeats over and over, just in that interview:

“I’m looking at risk levels to determine what allows for normal life, and I think it’s likelier than not that’s going to happen in the next month.”

“But we’re not there yet. It’s predicated on the current surge ending and conditional. If there’s a new variant or a new surge that makes the world more dangerous, I would have no problem changing back again.”

“We want to reduce infections to help hospitals from being overburdened. But if we find there’s little virus in the community, we have medications to treat people who do become sick and the virus is less severe than the one around previously, asking people to markedly curtail their lifestyles for the immunocompromised is a lot to ask.” (emphasis added)

That’s a lot of conditions to assume to be met. I hope he’s right. But he certainly acknowledges another surge is possible and then his “done” wouldn’t really be done then. I wonder how many people will read that far though.

He had a prolonged interview on Andy Slavitt’s broadcast back pre-Omicron.

His “new normal” is living in San Francisco, where the population is highly vaxxed and at that time, rates were low. IIRC, he said he was still masking indoors in public even then. I don’t think what he’s thinking of as “done” and “normal” is what others are thinking.

Except for a quick dip for a few days in early December, my county hasn’t been below 10 in literally 6 months. (San Francisco was there for over 2 months pre-Omicron.)

I would love to get back there and stay there. I’m struggling to feel confident we will.

San Francisco probably has better odds.

5 Likes

Several of you have asked how you can help if you’ve already done the things asked (vaxxed, boosted, masking, stay home when sick, etc.) I’ve struggled to know how to answer, but now have a recommendation!

There is a critical blood supply shortage in the US. Last I checked we had less than 1 day’s supply. If you’re willing and able, blood donations would be incredibly helpful!

16 Likes

Great idea! My local news was also saying there is a blood plasma shortage as well.