Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Ughhhhh whyyy. At this point why not just give all the kids under 5 a shot with covid in it because unless no one ever leaves the house, they’re going to get it. I send my daughter to preschool in a kf94 but it’s still too big and I have zero confidence that she wears it correctly all day and that they aren’t slobbering all over each other anyway

3 Likes

That was excellent :laughing::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I am so sorry. Sometimes it just leaves you to wonder what they thought they were doing/saying.

2 Likes

I hope everyone will have mild symptoms.

3 Likes

So sorry you are sick! It’s so easy to be paranoid. It’s so hard when it’s already in your house! Hang in there.

This isn’t how it’s supposed to be at all. I’m so sorry.

My oldest did not opt into the 8th grade trip (now 9th grade) to D.C., but as a group they just rerouted their whole trip because of the vaccine requirements in DC. I thought that was kind of fascinating.

FIL apparently turned around immediately after receiving monoclonal antibodies. All my info on that is third hand, and conflicts with what I was first told, but he only received that and an IV and went home in two days. For being something that “doesn’t work as well against omicron” it certainly made a profound difference!

4 Likes

Do you know which one he got? Of the 3, sotrovimab is still supposed to work well.

No idea. I’ll have to ask my SIL when I see her again. DH was mostly the mule in this process and couldn’t relate to me any details that I asked for. It mostly came to him via his sister.

1 Like

Saw this and had to share based on today’s earlier discussion…blurred for expletive.

19 Likes

The most helpful thing people can do is just be patient with HCW’s. We are tired, stressed, understaffed, and watching people die at insane rates (not just from COVID!). I get yelled at regularly by family/patients during any given shift because something is taking too long or i couldn’t talk to a distant relative on the phone or it took me too long to get water (while i was next door in a code situation). I have NO control over the visiting restrictions. I have NO control over staffing. I can not make a pillow magically appear. I can not help your wait time in the ER Triage area. What I can (and will) do is care for you the best of my ability and take very last bit of your abuse, then cry my whole way home.

13 Likes

My coworker got yelled at by a patient because her daughters covid test wasn’t back yet. “I’m going to the news”
Go ahead lady, we got 10,000 samples yesterday and have the same amount (if not less) staff to run them and our analyzer capability is way less than that. Lol.
Needless to say, there hasn’t been a news story on us yet :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Lab staff is dropping like flies here. We’ve already been running on the bare minimum crew on off shifts for the past two years and people are testing positive left and right. I’m 9 days until my trip and I’m spraying lysol clouds around myself until then!!!

6 Likes

OMG so relatable. I am an ER nurse. People get back to me from triage after waiting 5 hours and start yelling at me because they waited five hours. Me: we use a triage system. If you waited 5 hours its because you CAN wait 5 hours and someone else couldn’t . Sorry. We are doing our best. My ER is currently BOARDING 23 patients. Half are ICU patients waiting for rooms.

8 Likes

HAHAHAHA. Lysol clouds lol- we leave January 28th. My husband just had a liver/kidney transplant but was cleared to travel. We are nervous but ready.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for you and so many HCW. This message is distressing on top of an impossible situation. Virtual hugs.

4 Likes

oh yes! I was just reading your other post!!!
I’m flying home jan 28th. Enjoy yourselves- you totally deserve it!!
I do not envy ER RN’s, there’s a reason I’m a lab person!! Thankfully, our ER RN’s are so kind to us

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me to my lab at least 5 times a shift “For the love of god please tell me you can add this new lab that was ordered to a previous tube i already sent because I cannot stick that person again”

1 Like

what is it with the MD’s ordering one test at a time??? Hmm. This patient needs a new test every 5 minutes added on for the next 6 hours.
LOL. just do all the damn tests at once!

I often just drawn one of everything and send them- hoping i don’t need a second of one color tube. Lol

In defense of the MDs, patients or families often remember some other symptom or condition that needs testing after you’ve already done your plan…

4 Likes

Also, I think it’s different in Pediatrics-land. We know we have limited attempts at blood work on kids, so we darn better get everything we need the first time.

Drives me crazy when adult doctors order limited tests and then get an abnormal result and have to do another. Just get everything the first time (so I guess I’m on your side too).

(Yes forum lords, I know it’s a repost, looked stupid replying to myself).

6 Likes