Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

I think that’s really all you can do in that situation.

2 Likes

That is what I would do

2 Likes

Sending healing vibes! I hope they have mild cases!!

3 Likes

How are you doing btw?

2 Likes

Mostly ok. I still have a cough, and my sense of taste is minimal - which is not doing what one would think and making me eat less because BLAH. It’s like my body keeps saying “Try something else to see if it tastes ok.” Assuming I continue on my upswing, I’ll be back - KN95 masked of course - on Monday. (Though per our chapter rep, because the symptoms don’t have to be major to stay isolated for 10 days, our principal is not technically allowed to ask for proof from our doctor - which she is trying to say we need if we need the 10 days. Should I feel off on Monday still, I know my doctor will not have an issue writing a note for me just in case.)

5 Likes

So apparently people are ransacking places with free Covid tests to hoard or resell on ebay and such. That is what is being reported around here.

Our local department of health had them and they were gone in an hour because someone posted the information on Facebook. My coworkers husband had a hard time finding a place to get tested or to get a test. He is having Covid symptoms.

5 Likes

People are so… Yeah. I don’t get that mentality.

I guess they are having issues with all the at-home tests we’re supposed to have at school because it seems (I’m not there so only going by how I’m interpreting the email) that it’s gone from teachers getting a box a week and then getting a box if there is a close contact to “if you’ve been positive in the past 90 days no box for you”. That could be just in case of a close contact.

I guess it makes sense given that you can apparently test positive for up to 90 days even after you’re recovered. But it mainly reeks of “we totally didn’t get enough kits for this…”

3 Likes

That’s awful.

1 Like

So our teachers had inservice days M-W and the kids returned yesterday. They updated the district dashboard last night.

The staff cases were possibly from yesterday or could have been at the inservice days earlier in the week.

The 22 student cases were all on campus yesterday. So presumably these were kids that were sent to school and had obvious enough symptoms that a staff member flagged them as needing to be tested, presentable by the school nurse since they were already confirmed as positive by the end of the day. (And would not include any symptomatic cases sent home where the parents declined being tested.). Makes one wonder how many symptomatic cases weren’t caught, let alone asymptomatic ones.

My kids go to the circled schools.

They ask that parents complete an online form if their kid tests positive outside of school, but a lot don’t bother and they just find out from the absence excuse when the kids return. So the 246 “no campus exposure cases” are from those students out yesterday whose parents proactively reported it or from staff that called in sick prior to returning.

The DS12s said all their usual teachers were there and they didn’t note any classmate absences. DS12.2 has already found out 5 classmates had Covid over Christmas and DS12.1 had one that he knows of.

2 Likes

My understanding is that is true for PCRs but not-as-much for the less-sensitive antigen at-home tests. Apparently the remains of inactive virus fragments can remain in one’s system and can trigger a positive on PCR tests for quite some time, but are less likely to trigger positive on an antigen test since they test differently.

I think that 90 day guidance was also based on the premise it was highly unlikely you could get reinfected within 90 days and I’m not sure that they don’t need to update it for Omicron

3 Likes

Yeah, IDK. I just know we don’t get them at least for exposure for 90 days.

1 Like

Oh, there’s quite a few places CDC guidance makes the 90 day assumption as well. But Omicron is shooting holes in that assumption, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Yup. Totally.

1 Like

I acknowledge that it is an extreme idea and is expensive, but a family I know rented a house for a week when a family member was in a situation where the family member knew he would be exposed and didn’t want to potentially spread the virus to other family members if he was infected. After his potential exposure, he stayed in the rented house for a week, did a PCR test, and came back to the family house after the PCR came back negative. Of course, 14 days would be better than 7 days, but it is all a matter of how much risk one is comfortable with. Also, the family I know did this in 2020 prior to vaccine availability so things were riskier back then.

3 Likes

For everyone’s amusement…(not intended as a criticism of the actual school districts trying the best they can)

5 Likes

FIL is being discharged today. I’m praying for the best in regards to that. He’s been stable overnight for two nights, with recovered oxygen levels, so they decided to send him home. No doubt he did NEED to be there - my information is third hand - but his issues were more indirectly caused by the covid infection and not directly, meaning they could treat those symptoms, and he’s doing much better.

So, DH is staying with them a few days to help out until he can make sure that they are well enough to fend for themselves. We’ve decided not to do any special quarantining of him here. He was decidedly sick, probably Covid, on xmas, and I’ve just tested positive twice, so I am not so worried about him actually getting sick and spreading it to us.

So, from that perspective, I’m thankful we came down with covid when we did. Life would be a lot messier right now if we hadn’t.

12 Likes

A thread on how the flu is going so far this year.

https://twitter.com/helenbranswell/status/1479530079264903169?s=21

Also, there has been some hype in the media regarding “flurona” with some referring to it as a “hybrid” of Covid and the flu. This isn’t entirely accurate. It in not some new transmittable combination of Covid and the flu. It is referring to being simultaneously infected with both Covid and the flu.

With us doing fewer Covid interventions that also dampened flu prevalence, while not expected to be common, it isn’t unexpected for it to occur.

2 Likes

So my wife’s school announced towards the end of the day today (of course) that it will be closed until 1/18 due to over 3% positive rate. Not sure where this number comes from but I think it’s self reported by parents so the true number is possibly 10, 15, 20% who knows.

She has been teaching a virtual class all year so it doesn’t change much for her except she gets to work from home next week and most likely an influx of students. She said about 20 staff were out sick today so it seems crazy they’ve been open all week! DD8s school is in another district and they delayed opening by 2 days but I feel like it’s inevitable that they close. Other schools in the area have 40+ staff out. It’s crazy! Somehow we have all avoided covid as far as we know but I feel like luck may run out ugh! This is in south east Wisconsin btw

4 Likes

Note this is largely just Delta. But, still of note that even boosted 60-69 year olds still have nearly the same risk level as unvaccinated 18-29 year olds.

2 Likes

So I’d seem this graphic floating around but not any of my “highly trusted voices” promoting it. This Harvard professor backward engineered their numbers, and they are using really questionable assumptions. Details in his thread.

TL;DR
“This is better than this” = TRUE
The actual numbers - meh

https://twitter.com/baym/status/1478881253747134466?s=21

1 Like