Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Well, this should help Florida case counts go down. Short term anyway. :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

We got an actual snow day. Iā€™m glad that our district has not moved to the model of ā€œall snow days are virtual days.ā€ Kids need snow days in my opinion.

6 Likes

That is great. I donā€™t think our district does that. Does the virtual day count as a day of school so that the snow day doesnā€™t need to be made up later?

1 Like

We DON"T do virtual days for snow. We are just closed. So I donā€™t know the answer to your question.
I will say that last year we did it one day where we had virtual on a day it snowed and parents were so mad and many of us kept our kids offline that day. It counted as an absence, so Iā€™m guessing it counts as a school day. They havenā€™t done it since.

1 Like

In my state virtual days last year did count as days. This year, at this time, it is not an option.

2 Likes

I donā€™t mind. Iā€™d rather they have off on a nice day than one where we have to deal with the snow. We end up losing days in the spring and end of school year when they have a snow day. They will get to go out after their school work.

2 Likes

Yes, here in PA the districts can use 5 virtual days for snow days. They count as actual school days. Our district signed up and started last year. Before that only a handful of local schools chose that option. Now it seems like most of them are doing it. This is day number 2 for us, as we used one in the fall with rain and flooding from the remnants of the hurricane. Now they wonā€™t lose days in the spring and summer, unless they go over the 5 day allotment.

3 Likes

We have three built into our school calendar, so it doesnā€™t add anything to the year. If we go over the three, then we lose a day from spring break and then they start extending the year.
I would be less against virtual days in those circumstances, but Iā€™d still keep my kid out.
We arenā€™t fun in the sun people. Snow is something we look forward to. We tolerate the sun in Florida bc of Disney, but only in the less punitive months. May-Sept is a hell no from us.

3 Likes

Yes, which is why I was surprised but pleased that it was offered for DS9.

They donā€™t have to quarantine, but the CDC guidance is that they should mask up pretty much all the time (even in private homes and such) unless they are totally alone and they should get tested on day 5. They canā€™t follow that guidance if they donā€™t know they were a close contact.

I am sympathetic to this. I get that the schools are doing the best that they can in very trying circumstances, and that the nursing staff in particular is between a rock and a hard place. I have no solutions and lots of sympathy. I also have some concerns about the community spread that the lack of notifications will lead to, though. Itā€™s all a mess.

3 Likes

Ma schools are following the MA DPH guidance, and it is not fully aligned to cdc.

1 Like

Our school district has snow days built into the schedule. I was told that if school was called off because of weather, flipping to virtual would not count as a school day per the state. We had a snow day yesterday, with no snow! (but it is hard to forecast exactly who gets the lake effect snow here. It did fall elsewhere, just not over us.). Generally the districts around me are not so fast to call a snow day, but I figured the rising covid numbers in school, teacher absences, and lack of sub coverage encouraged the call for the day off. Gave everyone a break!

2 Likes

We had days built in too. But they would alway seem to lose the day after Easter and several other days. Iā€™d rather they be off those days than a cold snow day in January. Actually just found out that DS9 has to build a snowman for his ELA assignment and write about it. So he is heading out after he eats lunch. He doesnā€™t have another zoom meeting until 1pm.

We have also been doing vacations right after school gets out, so I donā€™t want to deal with signing up for Educational absences.

2 Likes

What are these?

You can apply for up to 5 days for an educational trip. We used 3 of them this year for our Disney trip a month ago.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome! I wish that MA did that.

2 Likes

NJ doesnā€™t do that either. But I pull my kids when i want to travel anyway. We get up to i think 8 unexcused absences before they start threatening action. My kids primary is great and if i keep the kids home for illnesses that donā€™t require a visit, I can email him in the patient portal and he will email an excuse letter. So my Disney trips are the only unexcused absences i have. Weā€™ve gone over the 8 day before and all I got was a sternly worded letter which promptly went into the trash.

2 Likes

My son and his girlfriend both tested positive today. She is a public school teacher and the teachers have all been getting sick. (Her co-teacher earlier this week).

I am hoping my son will be able to move his booster appointment. He has waited almost three weeks for it (it was this Sunday).

7 Likes

Oh no! I hope they are both ok.

4 Likes

My DD24 just flew to Phoenix today (Your neck of the woods @Jeff_AZ ). Sheā€™s going to be near there until Tuesday for a research opportunity and then flies to Salt Lake City to visit her best friend (they have said that they will be Covid safe, all vaxxed and boosted) until next weekend. Then coming back to BWI where we will pick her up and sheā€™ll leave the next day. Sheā€™s testing before she leaves AZ and UT but Iā€™m concerned about her bringing it home to us. We are watching her cat so thatā€™s why sheā€™s coming here first. I think we will all mask up in the car plus windows cracked and have her isolated in the house? Any other ideas?

3 Likes

Ugh. I hope they both stay mild and recover quickly!

2 Likes