Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 3

Interesting story. There is a good chance I had Covid in January 2020. I was recently diagnosed with a lower functioning thyroid and was put on medication. I’m what they consider subclinical, I believe. I’ve had sleep issues, brain fog, and weight gain/difficulty losing weight as my main issues, besides my plantar fasciitis. I had my levels checked and the TSH level was too high. Ive been wondering if there might be a link, but maybe not. My mom has thyroid issues as well.

I have been sleeping so much better since starting medication.

2 Likes

Proper meds really makes a huge difference. I’m glad you’re being helped. I just finished months of recalibrating mine. What a mess :crazy_face: It really helps when I you have a dr. that listens, but I’ve become very proactive too b/c quality of life is important.

1 Like

I had a really bad virus (toss up if that one was worse or when I had Covid) that affected my thyroid for years. I took medication for a while, but eventually it got itself going again and I do not have to take it. So I definitely believe that any bad virus can send your thyroid into a tailspin.

3 Likes

I just started, so I’ll be doing bloodwork again in a few weeks. I went in and told her I wanted tested and she ordered the tests. We did a phone conference about my test results and she was totally on board with starting because of my symptoms.

1 Like

I hope that that is the case for me. But with a family history, it is likely it’ll be permanent. My mom has had hers under control for a long time and gets bloodwork every 6 months. She encouraged me to push for that as well when I get settled in to a dose to stay on top of things. My sister goes through much worse, having inherited my father’s autoimmune issues, so if this is my cross to bear, it could be much worse.

3 Likes

Glad you’re on this path. :blush:

When you get settled in, remember just cuz you’re feeling better, your meds are still necessary. I was extra busy at 3 months - when I was feeling so much more normal - and meds weren’t as much a priority as they could have been. :roll_eyes:

Nothing like learning the hard way . . .

1 Like

It runs in my family as well. My mom, her sister, and her father all took thyroid meds for their entire adult lives.

2 Likes

I have blood work every 6 months, but being military and having different drs. all the time it was hard to get some to listen to ME and not just look at the blood work. I had to argue the Law of Averages w/ one dr. to get my dosing changed :face_with_raised_eyebrow:; math for the win.

1 Like

The state Department of Health reported 75,906 new coronavirus cases this week among Florida residents to bring the cumulative total to 3,485,163. With 2,468 more fatalities on record, 51,240 Florida residents have died.

Central Florida added 16,742 resident infections this week, based on the actual date the state opened the case, for a total of 680,271: 4,669 more in Orange for 217,703; 1,439 more in Osceola for 68,321; 3,250 more in Polk for 122,076; 1,464 more in Lake for 50,713; 428 more in Sumter for 13,750; 1,876 more in Volusia for 71,254; 2,165 more in Brevard for 77,272; 1,451 more in Seminole for 59,182.

1 Like

hmm, interesting!

4 Likes

W/o reading this I’m reminded of something else I read recently about the timing of when both Pfizer and Moderna came out for use. Since Pfizer was first there is more data over time and only when Moderna has been out as long will we really know about its possible weakening or not. I hope that makes sense

2 Likes

It makes a good amount of sense. Were they within a month or two? I got my moderna at work in january. I believe before that the RN’s/MD’s were getting pfizer…

1 Like

I thought it was just a few weeks apart between the 2. The actual physical dose is much higher with Moderna than Pfizer and had a longer time between doses which was praised in some studies so it does kind of make sense. Happy for me with Moderna, but worried for my over 65 parents who both are well past the 6 month mark for their Pfizer shots.

2 Likes

It looks like the FDA has approved Pfizer boosters for 65 and older.

I also wonder the age brackets for those who got Pfizer and Moderna. Did more people over 65 get Pfizer? Or Moderna?

I’d also like to see the difference in prevention of hospitalization and severe disease in different age brackets. Has any one seen anything in regards to Pfizer and under 18 year olds?

4 Likes

Not Covid, but still interesting. I didn’t know it wasn’t on a list to quarantine at this point.

2 Likes

It is funny, 30 years ago (maybe 32) when I was working in a school there was a measles case. I needed to prove vaccination but I had measles as a young child. I was quarantined from school but not anywhere else while I got my records.

2 Likes

Oh… yes, I forgot about that part… higher does for Moderna too.

OK… I found where I read this… and my interpretation of what I read :wink: Moderna vs. Pfizer: Is there a difference? - by Katelyn Jetelina - Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

Still getting news from Hawaii:

CDC Report Highlights Hawai‘i Effort to Address COVID-19 Health Disparities Through Improving Data

Hawai‘i is often hailed as a melting pot in which the lines between ethnicity are blurred. However, the reality is quite different in the Aloha State and this has been even more evident during the pandemic.

A year’s worth of public health data shows there are healthcare disparities by ethnicity. The data was collected from March 1, 2020 to February 28, 2021 by Joshua Quint, an epidemiologist with the Hawai‘i Department of Health.

According to the data, Pacific Islanders, who account for 5% of Hawaii’s population, represent 22% of COVID-19 cases and 22% of COVID-19–related deaths. The highest COVID-19 incidents occurred among those who are Filipino and Vietnamese.

The report underscored the importance of “disaggregating” the data. Instead of combining data on Native Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders and Asians, breaking them out and collecting detailed information to identify specific trends and address health disparities.

The data was published in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), a national weekly journal highlighting public health information and recommendations. The report was a collaborative effort among the Department of Health, University of Hawaiʻi and the Office of Hawaiian Affairs.

Although these are sobering statistics, the Department of Health is able to use this data to improve the state’s pandemic response. With this valuable information, the community is able to address underlying inequities, provide greater access to healthcare and improve health outcomes for all Hawaii residents.

View MMWR on Measuring Racial Disparities in Hawai‘i

2 Likes

Measles has an R0 of like 16 it’s like 8x more contagious than covid … Not something mess around with.