Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

What 50% would you like them to listen to?

I am adding here that when I say 50% that is an average because in MA (is it still the 2nd highest percent of vaccinated adults) the percentage would be different than in another state.

3 Likes

About 10:30 she talks about the virus load in vaccinated people.

Yesā€¦ BUTā€¦ both sides are attacking and name calling right now and itā€™s not helpful. Decades ago (in my hometown in MN) a school board promised not to close a local beloved Jr. High. They closed it and the town recalled all of them and elected a new board. These days are so difficult right now.

4 Likes

I guess this is what confuses me the most. There is an agenda, only itā€™s not hidden. Not sure how people define ā€˜conspiracy theoristā€™. Itā€™s not a theory if youā€™re listening directly to people making decisions.

Even worse, from this article it sounds like vaccinated people can spread the virus even when asymptomatic.

2 Likes

Dr. Wilensky (sp?) stated the agenda at the beginning: ā€œWe will follow the science and base our guidance on the scienceā€ Iā€™m paraphrasing. I think many of us question when guidance changesā€¦ calling it flip-flopping etc. Iā€™m reassured when data is considered and a course of action is altered based on the data.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s not the point. I donā€™t dispute the data, I dispute the presentation. The initial wording downplays the incidence rate of this occuringā€¦ ā€œIn rare cases, some peopleā€¦ā€ Then it changes to ā€œin some cases, some people.ā€ This makes it seem more common, and potentially more threatening. Why edit the original article from the verbatim to something else? Thatā€™s BS journalism.
Iā€™m not saying itā€™s a government conspiracy, but that WaPo has their own agenda here.
If the government was the force behind it, I donā€™t think weā€™d see the transcript posted where anyone could see the discrepancy.

2 Likes

I think this is why the data on breakthrough cases in Israelā€™s is so different than our data.

1 Like

The side advocating to let each family make their own decisions. The side not imposing their personal health standards on others.

Both sidesā€¦you mean school board vs community or one group of the community vs the other? Iā€™ve seen it all. Yes, itā€™s bad. Thatā€™s what happens when one group wants to protect or intervene for another group.

Iā€™ve noticed that in a live interview the scientist are fallible and I have to think around their words and what they really meant. They are human. Weā€™d like them to be accurate but they trip up too.

1 Like

But thatā€™s not how news works. If they want to clarify something after the fact, make a press statement. And then journalists can annotate that article about the changes with source. Thatā€™s fine.
You donā€™t just edit and not even acknowledge it. Thatā€™s borderline Orwellian.
Like I said, I donā€™t question the science per se, I question WaPos shady ethics.
I think people are making the mistake of thinking that all of us who are calling this out are faulting the CDC.
CDC hasnā€™t retracted anything they saidā€¦ Many of us are faulting WaPo.

2 Likes

If you read enough from various news sources, which I do (but I stay away from extremes), you begin to see differences in how information is presented. Each news source does have an agenda, good or bad, and if you google it, you can find how each news source leans. If I read an article and you change it without noting the change, Iā€™m going to question why you changed it. Was it simply a mistake, was it motivated politically, does it not fit the agenda of the owner of where you work? Until I get more information, Iā€™m going to be suspicious of your motives.

2 Likes

I was just responding to you because you timestamped an issue. I donā€™t think she said what is in the articles at 10:30 either.

1 Like

Dr Walensky actually answered to this concern in the Senate hearing last week.

They can pretty clearly establish what percentage of people that were hospitalized or died with or due to Covid are vaccinated, and both are now standard reporting. (They are keeping the ā€œwithā€ and ā€œdue toā€ broken out separately.)

However, they know tracking reported breakthrough infections doesnā€™t gain them that solid of data, because they have no idea how many cases are going unidentified/unreported.

Instead, for breakthrough infection rates, they are relying on using the already existing large scale trial participants. They are being regularly tested over a 2 year period, as well as periodic self-reporting of symptoms, so they have much more reliable data set for that aspect.

So, both sets of data are being gathered, just through different mechanisms they deem more fit for purpose.

2 Likes

I would say your response is exactly what the other perspective would say- we should not allow anyone to make a decision that could put their child at risk.

School administrators spend hours trying to plan every second of the day and every structure in a school to keep children safe.

You believe asking a child to wear a mask is harmful

Another parent will believe not wearing a mask is putting their child at risk. There are two sides.

4 Likes

I am keeping an eye on this thread. We said @Pod has the final post? I will lock it and she can PM either me or @missoverexcited to unlock it for her post if we get close.

I am sorry, but if someone posts (and I miss it) I will try deleting that post to allow her to lock it.

2 Likes

So, this just happened.
I literally just got off the phone with Disney reservations to cancel our Aug trip. I lost my $200 deposit, which I expected. What I didnā€™t expect was to be harassed by the phone agent, questioning my decision making as a parent. She proceeded to tell me that kids donā€™t get sick from this and that itā€™s ā€˜no big dealā€™. She then implied that Iā€™m being over protective and that she has always taught her kids proper hygiene, which should be enough to keep them safe.
Unbelievable. I didnā€™t ask her opinion, and Iā€™m entitled to my own without judgment.

12 Likes

terp05, I would totally report that. That is not acceptable in a customer service agent. If I were that personā€™s boss, I would totally want to know.

6 Likes

I would email Disney.
wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

6 Likes

Whoa, that is crazy.

4 Likes