Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

It says on rare occasions. Not in all vaccinated people.

Can you link where you see that? I was looking for info and just found the CNN reporting that seems to say something different. I am hoping for other versions.

Ha! I found it in the ABC reporting but not in my first search!

I (and Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s really a collective ā€œweā€) really want to see some data, not just their conclusions. :confused:

1 Like

I might be reading it wrong but it seems like one report is saying ā€œunlike other strains with delta the vaccinated can spread COVIDā€ and another news organization reports ā€œin rare instancesā€¦.ā€ They watched the same conference?

Although are 69% of cases that are vaccinated people down the cape getting COVID only from the 31% unvaccinated?

I copied this from the above posted article in the Washington Post from when I had opened it earlier.

ā€œThe changed guidance was spurred by new data showing that on rare occasions, some vaccinated people ā€œmay be contagious and spread the virus to others," said CDC Director Rochelle Walensky. "This new science is worrisome and unfortunately warrants an update to our recommendations.ā€

It appears that now has disappeared from the article when I pulled it up again. So now Iā€™m suspicious of a hidden agenda. And Iā€™m not a conspiracy theorist.

2 Likes

They swapped ā€œrareā€ for "some " I noticed that as well. It is strange.

1 Like

Iā€™m assuming the part in quotes is supposed to be a factual representation of what she said. And they are trying to make sure the paraphrased part is an accurate reflection of what else was said?

Iā€™m hoping to find her literal statements somewhere so we donā€™t need to speculate on reporter agendas.

1 Like

Although it does seem this could be a good example of reporters agendas? Maybe?

Thank you @Alewis678 for pointing that out. I would have missed it.

1 Like

It was a media dial-in briefing, so the initial articles are all reporters trying to dish quickly. A transcript is supposed to be forthcoming and then weā€™ll know what was actually said.

My guess is a reporter picked the word ā€œrareā€ but upon reviewing the recording, the editors wanted it changed to ā€œsomeā€. I wouldnā€™t read too much into that.

Looks like the cdc mask recommendation is for counties high and substantial levels of transmission. My county is not at that pointā€¦ yet. I will be watching closely to make informed masking decisions for myself. I have my two younger (unvaccinated) children masking indoors at all times. We donā€™t really go anywhere except I do go to the grocery every other week. I intentionally go first thing on Saturday mornings when the store is empty, so our risk level continues to remain low. As an elementary teacher, I am thinking our district will require masks for everyone at our building so that masking decision will be made for me.

3 Likes

Article from The Points Guy (their family/Disney reporter). It was not encouraging.

4 Likes

I think shoddy reporting is the more likely culprit, motivated by the need to get their article out first superseding the editorial/review process. ā€œNever ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetenceā€ and all that. Now theyā€™re having to revise the already-published article. Bad form.

I second this!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been following this thread since the beginning (but very rarely chimed in) and it has been my main source of news on COVID - so thanks to all who have contributed and share data regularly.

We have a 10 night Disney World trip planned for 9/2-9/12 and Iā€™m starting to feel a little uneasy about going. Things were looking so much better just a month ago. I donā€™t worry about DH and I (weā€™re vaccinated) and DS3months hopefully has antibodies from my vaccination during pregnancy. We also have DD5 and DD2 who are both in school/childcare. Itā€™s hard for me to decide if this trip is less or more risky than school. I donā€™t worry about death but I wish there was a way to quantify risk of COVID long term effects in children.

Anyway - just needed to rant to people that understand. Weā€™ve been looking forward to this trip for so long and I canā€™t decide what we should do! DD5 will be devastated if we cancel but our health is more important.

11 Likes

If you are going to change an article, the change should be noted so you are transparent with your information. Otherwise it looks suspicious. Until I see an explanation or evidence otherwise, I will remain suspicious.

2 Likes

If masks do come back indoors, then does that mean we have to put them on at the start of every queue even if it begins outside? And, we will bit be allowed to take a drink of water? We will be there in 5 days, and with masks likely to come back coupled with very long waits in the sun, Iā€™m not sure how this will look. Any info is appreciated-thanks!

1 Like

That was very interesting. Iā€™m booked for mid-October. I booked six nights at ASMu for $1,100. I keep checking the site because Iā€™m hoping ASMo or Pop might become available. Instead all I see are fewer and fewer options.

This is currently the cheapest option for my dates:

Thatā€™s $4,800 for AKL concierge.

Of course, this is all moot. The trip will never happen. This was the news yesterday:

Things are very far from getting back to normal.

4 Likes

Audio is out but it will be a bit before I can listen, in case anyone else wants toā€¦

2 Likes

I just listened to the beginning. At the 2 minute 10 second mark, Dr Wallensky specifically said ā€œin RARE casesā€ with a particular emphasis on ā€œrare.ā€

So, it would seem that shenanigans are indeed afoot.

1 Like

I guess I donā€™t see shenanigans butā€¦ after listening to Dr. Leana Wen this afternoon on NPR I agree w/ her that the CDC should be gathering more data on all break through cases and not just the ones that end w/ hospitalizations or death. She criticized the CDC for their initial guidelines that led to mask mandates being dropped too early and blames that decision to our current situation.

Public Health Expert Dr. Leana Wen On COVID & Mandates : Fresh Air : NPR

4 Likes

@PrincipalTinker Arenā€™t school board members appointed and shouldnā€™t they be listening to the parents?

1 Like