Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Ever helpful, thank you!

1 Like

His test was negative :slightly_smiling_face: It was a good exercise to go through as we are going to St. Thomas in a few weeks for my BIL’s wedding (same side of the family) and need to have a negative test result just before travelling. I think I will be searching out the free options lol!

14 Likes

WooRay!! cheering a negative is an oxymoron?

Yea! Great news!

Hope he still doesn’t pass whatever-it-is to FIL!

1 Like

Warning about the free options - last month I was getting 12 hour results. This month it took 5 days - outside the requirements for travel.

Your area of the country may be better. But it’s something to keep in mind.

1 Like

Just found out that my cousin’s daughter (age 28) has Covid and she’s quite ill although not hospitalized. She is also 38 weeks pregnant. Talked to her mom and was told that her other children have been sick on and off for 3 weeks (ages 4 and 2) and her husband is vaccinated but she is not. She did not want to get the vaccine while pregnant. She and her family have been around a larger group of family as recently as last Sunday. Some vaccinated, some not.
I’m hoping my mom and dad (both vaccinated but still!) did not come in contact with them or other members of the family who may have been ill. My mom is still on oxygen after her lung cancer surgery in February.

1 Like

Oh no! I hope your cousin’s daughter is ok and your parents didn’t catch it.

2 Likes

I hope your cousin’s daughter is ok! My niece did not get vaccinated when she was pregnant (she delivered May 1st). It is so tough to know these days since some of the data on the vaccines and pregnancy was being published after decisions had to be made.

3 Likes

Thank you! I worry so much about them and they’ve become more lax now that my mom is feeling better and things are more open. I think even a vaccinated case (or a bad cold (she had 2/3 of one lung removed) for at least my mom would be very bad. Our rural county has a high fully vaxxed rate for older folks (74% for those over 65) but only 46.1% if you consider 12+.

1 Like

My Covid results are negative.

14 Likes

I do not know any statistics or info about getting the vaccine while pregnant, but that’s why she chose not to get it. So I understand.

1 Like

Not a surprise but I’m still glad!

Oh no! :frowning: :frowning:

2 Likes

I would be really upset if someone showed up at an event these days with symptoms and without confirmation that it wasn’t Covid. Even though I am vaccinated, my kids are not old enough to be vaccinated and I would not want to bring Covid home to them.

I have read stories of cases where it is suspected that an unvaccinated child caught Covid from a vaccinated adult. DW and I also have learned of vaccinated people we know who have had breakthrough infections (no one hospitalized and no serious symptoms).

4 Likes

I have read that this is more of an unknown with the Delta variant. People have substantially higher viral loads with Delta and that may change the level of contagiousness of a vaccinated individual.

3 Likes

Delta seems to have put many things back into question again that will need to be re-evaluated. Nothing about Delta seems less though from what I’ve looked at. Pretty much “equal to or worse” than previous variants.

For the existing viral load/transmissibility studies regarding vaccinated people, I think the question was largely around the likelihood of transmission from an asymptomatic infected vaccinated individual. I think once the viral load becomes high enough for there to be symptoms, there would pretty clearly be a risk of transmission? If I get a chance later, I’ll try to dig into a couple of the viral load studies to see if that is explicitly addressed.

6 Likes

This is the same public of Boaty McBoatface fame :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl::rofl::rofl:

8 Likes

Indeed!

4 Likes

Anyone have “Olympic oyster threat” on their 2020.1 oddities bingo card? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

So…we made a little mistake on our trip. We used cloth masks when we had put heavy sunscreen on our faces to go out to the beach, and used the masks going through the hotel before we got outside. I hadn’t thought anything of it, but now several of the masks still smell strongly of sunscreen even after a thorough washing. Should we toss these or might there be a way of getting this off? I really don’t want to inhale sunscreen particles. I wish we’d just used disposables only. Our method of cleaning cloth masks has been to hand wash them. Would a machine do better?