Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Yes, I’m figuring Delta is so new that this sort of data just isn’t there.
I appreciate you looking back for me! The honest truth is, there’s no definitive answer for individuals. He had it the mildest of the four of us in the family, but he did definitely have symptoms and was down and out for a bit. If we weren’t leaving in 2 weeks for Disney, I wouldn’t be as concerned, but…

2 Likes

That looks like spaghetti. Usually I watch the local news and haven’t the past few nights. That will teach me :wink:

2 Likes

:joy: they actually do call that the spaghetti model

2 Likes

:laughing: I did catch up and meteorologist said, “Spaghetti model”

2 Likes

So my household is vaccinated. We came home from Disney this week. Day 5 of our trip DH was complaining of a sore throat, blamed it on the air conditioning. It still has not gone away. We have a family party tonight, with mostly unvaccinated family, including my FIL who has just recently been diagnosed with cancer and not in the best shape. I told my DH he should go get a rapid test just to make sure we are not exposing FIL to anything. Am I over reacting since we are vaccinated? I probably wouldn’t think twice if they were all vaccinated, but I would hate for us to be the ones to expose him to anything.

What is the chance DH actually is positive?

2 Likes

If tests are free in your area, most are, it would give you peace of mind. It sounds like you need that right now.

3 Likes

I think the chance is small but I think you are right that it’s worth it to get tested, just to make sure.

5 Likes

We have the same situation. We came home from Disney on Tuesday. I went with my husband, parents, and two kids. My parents and I came home sick. We are vaccinated. I have a terrible sore throat and cold symptoms. We did go to the doctor. Rapid Covid tests are negative. Waiting for the longer test results, but I am not expecting it to be Covid. This is day 4 of still not feeling well for me. My parents are starting to get better, but for whatever reason, they were given prescription medicine, and I was not.

6 Likes

Free test here are results in 36hrs. Places that offer results today are costing $65/$75. I admit I do not know all the options out there, but that is what we have found so far. Birthday party is tonight. Thought did not cross my mind until this morning, so I asked if he still had the sore throat. Too bad I did not think of it earlier!

1 Like

RSV (I which looks like a cold in adults) is apparently on the rise after being suppressed last winter. I’m hearing about a lot of people getting colds (not Covid). So there is a good chance it could be just a cold.

2 Likes

Well DFB did a nice outline of FL and Delta variant to include links of where, in the area, to get tested. How Could the Delta Variant Impact Your Disney World Vacation? | the disney food blog

1 Like

Will ppl be wearing masks at the party?

1 Like

At the very least he should get an at home rapid test kit. I just got this one at CVS for $23 yesterday.

4 Likes

We are currently back home in NY. Absolutely no masks tonight - the whole family is solidly in the “COVID is a government perpetuated hoax” territory (We are the vaccinated black sheep). They also would tell DH not to test, and come anyways if we asked them, but I don’t know how that would sit with my conscience.

3 Likes

I’m sorry… you need to do what is right for you. If it was any other time and someone was sick you’d stay away to protect your dad, due to his cancer diagnosis, but these are not any other times. Maybe you can still think of it that way, ‘What would I do to protect my dad if covid wasn’t’ around?’ My heart goes out to you!

I doubt it’s covid, but I have read that the risk of vaccinated people becoming positive and infecting others is also minimal. Not 0, but low and most spread is between unvaccinated folks. Still for $23 to have some peace of mind I would visit your local pharmacy.

4 Likes

I saw his post yesterday and read “forecast noodles” before realizing it said “forecast models” :joy:.

He’s a good guy to follow for weather and generally just makes my Facebook feed a happier place.

We have this test on hand, too. Ran one for one of my kiddos (did PCR also) and it was easy to do.

4 Likes

I also read this article. I think testing is good to be sure its not Covid, even in vaccinated individuals, but there are definitely other viruses going around.

4 Likes

Here is a list of testing resources by state from federal HHS. The pharmacy chains generally have a reputation as being super easy and should be free.

We’ve used CVS in both Texas and Florida and it was easy to schedule online, free, and results within 30 min.

They really want more people to be tested, even if it comes up negative, especially if symptomatic. That’s why they make such a big deal about the positivity rate. When it’s high, they know more testing should be happening.

5 Likes