Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

Can I ask… how do they determine if you are a high risk person. I understand the CDC guidelines but if you show up do you have to have documentation? Do you have to get a note from your dr.? and I think teachers, like other essential workers, should be able to get vaccinated too.

I know that right now, health care workers that want the vaccine need to show something to prove they’re eligible, whether that’s a work ID, paystub, etc… I would think they would want something that proves it, but details haven’t been dropped yet. You do have to register through the state portal and get an email with your clearance to get vaccinated, that’s all we know at this moment. And the registration portal asks about medical history.

1 Like

In our MD county, you have to get a note (sort of a referral) from your primary care physician that outlines the condition that makes you high risk.

2 Likes

Well according to today’s news, surprisingly no, you don’t need proof. Oh boy that’s going to be a total sh!tshow.

How is that allowed?

I re-read the news release and it says “If you are not included in one of these groups, but you believe that you are in an extremely high-risk category, please contact your primary healthcare provider for additional information and to discuss any options that may be available.” In practice, people are calling their doctor, who in turn is contacting (the referral process) the health dept. to get their patient eligible for an appointment. The health dept. then calls the patient for scheduling. It’s possible that the doctor is not revealing the condition, just getting the patient on the list to call for appointments.

2 Likes

I thought this was an interesting assessment of where we are at now. I don’t know enough to weigh in on the specifics, but thought it worth a read.

3 Likes

This is an interesting article delving a bit into why some states are doing pretty well with getting the vaccine out, and others are not. The causes for both outcomes are quite variable from place to place. Like my DBIL is fond of saying, “There is more than one way to be right.” And wrong, I guess.

2 Likes

The news is reporting that MA received less than 19k doses last week. It seems like there are over 300k people over 75 in the state.

1 Like

I can’t believe you missed the opportunity to highlight this from the article to bring us somewhat back on topic… :laughing:

3 Likes

The other day appointments were available locally and my mom, dad, MIL and boss (all over 65, three with comorbidity) were all able to make appts for late next week. Turns out the website was not supposed to be live. All the appts were cancelled. :cry:

That is crazy!

1 Like

I posted a few days ago about my terminally ill DFIL catching Covid inside his nursing home. They called us last night to come and say goodbye as he is very unwell. They had us wear masks, gloves and aprons, it didn’t feel very safe but we felt we had to go. He doesn’t seem bad with the covid, he was breathing fine and only coughed once - not a particularly alarming cough - during the 2 hours we were there. And actually they say he is no worse today so we’re not sure what is happening.

1 Like

I am so sorry that they think he is failing but I am glad you were able to see him.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. Thankfully you were able to visit with him. Is anyone allowed to stay with him, or can you continue to visit every day?

1 Like

Yes it was a blessing.

1 Like

Visitors are not actually allowed at care homes at all so we were very lucky to be allowed in once.

3 Likes

Does anyone know anything about this?
(353) Texas trauma surgeon says ‘post-COVID lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung - YouTube

I am so sorry for what your family is going through.

1 Like

We’ve been discussing this at our clinic (we are a transitions clinic providing post-hospital care & education for COPD and heart failure patients). The lung & heart damage from COVID may cause business to boom unfortunately :confused: I think it remains to be seen the true scope of long lasting effects will be.

I’ve got patients who are still experiencing significant loss of taste/smell that is impacting their nutrition 6+ months after infection.

3 Likes