Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

We actually even did the PCR test last week before we left for the camping trip, thinking camping would be low risk and that would be good enough for thanksgiving “isolating.” Not perfect, but a good precaution.

So in a way I’m thankful she has the flu. It’s making us step away from something that had the potential to spread COVID when we hadn’t been as cautious as we’d thought - and we wouldn’t have otherwise known.

3 Likes

Sigh. 28%.

7,970 deaths/day by all causes (US)

2,194 Number of COVID-19 deaths on November (US)

2 Likes

Very interesting that she caught the flu with all the COVID precautions you took! I hope they gave her Tamiflu.

I caught the flu at WDW last December, even though I got the flu shot. I was totally miserable for 3 days and I coughed for more than 2 months. I haven’t had the flu in I don’t know how long. Spent an extra 4 nights in Florida because I was too sick to fly 5.5 hours and I was contagious!

Baby her!

1 Like

This will be tricky over the next week or two because I bet reporting will get behind for the holidays. The 7-day average is currently 1,644. I bet we have some very low days this weekend and into Monday. Then we will have some horrifyingly high days - I wouldn’t be surprised if we hit 3,000 on a single day after the holiday break. But I’m hoping the 7-day average will hold around 2,000 or so. Which is sad that that is the bar now.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that your DD has the flu! That’s no fun. Though at least it’s not covid.

My DD5 wasn’t feeling well back in March, and we went to the pediatrician. They couldn’t get her a covid test but they did give her a flu test, and it was positive. I have never been so happy for DD to have the flu!

1 Like

I was told it takes 2 weeks for the flu shot to take effect and, of course, it’s not 100% foolproof.

Hope she feels better.

1 Like

To further complicate the stats…

1 Like

I’m not sure why, but I find that surprising! I guess I think of covid testing the way I do hospitals - they’re an important medical service. Since hospitals don’t get to close over holidays, I guess I assumed that testing would not close either.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really don’t get it either since Harris County has been very proactive in their Covid approach. But, I’m wondering what their testing numbers looked like for previous holidays? (4th of July, Labor Day) Maybe they were so little used they decided it isn’t worth it? :woman_shrugging:

Or maybe if the labs are going to be closed they figure it will just back up more so what’s the point?

ETA: I put google to work. It appears a lot of places all over the country did a full court press Mon-Wed (often open longer hours, sometimes extra locations) to test as many people as possible in advance of potential family gatherings and then are giving their testing staffs the days off. Several pointed out other places in the community a test could be obtained (just maybe not for free).

2 Likes

So, my story was that I had some strange mild symptoms and, coupled with possible exposure not quite 2 weeks earlier, I suspected covid (despite the precautions we took). So I got tested Sun after realizing I had symptoms on Sat–and just found out the test was negative. :slight_smile: I spent 4.5 days isolating myself within the house, in the MBR / bath, from my 3 kids, which was very hard b/c my husband was out of town. I have DS(almost)14, DS12, and DD(almost)9. They handled it very well. I wore a mask whenever I left my room and mostly stood in my doorway giving orders like “please feed your sister lunch.” I mostly kept a window open except when it got really cold throughout the room. I did sneak downstairs when they were asleep, in my mask, to do the dishes. They sort of know how but doing all the dishes was a bridge too far. I tried to stay away from the cats but whenever I came around they were desperate for my affection so they’d rub on my legs. I’m completely unprepared for Thanksgiving and we still have the Halloween stuff up, but I totally don’t care. Happy Thanksgiving!

12 Likes

So glad you’re negative! (Ok, that came out a little weird…:crazy_face:)

It’s 2020…all expectations for “typical” holidays are officially dropped. Have a great Thanksgiving in whatever manner you choose…or whenever you choose! Or with your ongoing Halloween festivities! Candy corn and Reece’s pumpkins for Thanksgiving? Go for it! :laughing:

We got take out from a favorite restaurant in Houston (Roost) that just needs to be finished in the oven. I usually love the marathon cooking but just wasn’t feeling it this year. And with DH working from home and no pre-theater date night meals, we haven’t been to Roost since forever, so good excuse to throw some business their way.

2 Likes

Hooray for your negative test! :partying_face:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Most of ours closed early on Wednesday too.

1 Like

The private citizen compiling data commented this week that the deaths report included numbers from at least 3 previous months. Only now being reported.

Order in and call it a day! Yall have had a rough go of it and completely deserve a break.

2 Likes

Yeah, more questions about those AstraZeneca trials…

I am assuming the other 2 that are further along are being put under this level of scrutiny and would hope that is reassuring to people. But the anti-vaxxers might just lump the issues with all of them.

2 Likes

Happy safe, warm, and bountiful Thanksgiving!

9 Likes

That is so pretty!

4 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving All, here’s my helper :joy::joy: she wouldn’t get from under my feet so DH set her up.

8 Likes

How is she supposed to clean up any spills from up there ? :crazy_face::rofl::crazy_face:

6 Likes