Coronavirus Outbreak: Part 2

I spoke to a family who has kids at an HISD school who feels like it’s obvious to her that HISD never actually planned to go back in person - they planned for remote learning but not much for in person. Incidentally one of the closed schools is our zoned high school.

Currently planning a road trip to Big Bend. That’s all I have to look forward to since cancelling Disney. No getting sick there! The friends going at the same time told me there is a single ICU bed for the whole county.

1 Like

Gotcha. This is the case here, from ICU beds, to nowhere else to go, and being ready for anything. Weather and distance, too.

1 Like

Ok, so my idea of wearing masks in the house around my kids to protect them in case I (or my husband) picked up covid germs during our travels is…just not a good idea. It’s unbearable to walk around the house wearing a mask, especially when nobody else is. I’ve only been doing this a few hours today and already I hate it. The kids think we’re being weird. We have no symptoms. Should we go get tested? We don’t technically have to and I don’t even know if they would do it. Also I don’t know if the results would come in in a reasonable time. I read official websites for Maryland and still don’t understand (but I’m so exhausted my brain probably isn’t working right). The percent positive where we were hovered around 5 or 6 % most of the time we were there.

@Kitty_Ellas_Mom

How many people were you in ultra close contact with? 6 feet 15 min without a mask or an hour or more with a mask? (my own definition)

Conservative close contact? 15 min with a mask (again my own definition)

Are your kids in a vulnerable category or are you in regular close contact with anyone who is?

1 Like

Could I ask whose ranking you are looking at? Not challenging the ranking, just trying to get perspective on health care systems I’m more familiar with. My mom held a director position at a rural regional hospital in northern Minnesota and I’m curious where they rank.

1 Like

And yet here they are. That at least explains the lack of coherency. I was guessing someone misunderstood something somewhere, but either way, I feel like they have adopted an unsustainable position with the level of community spread we have. Did they think TEA would cave and let them extend remote learning? Or maybe after seeing the chaos that ensues from having 5-10% of their campuses closed at any given moment, TEA will cave?

Pearland ISD’s plan has a provision to close the entire district if multiple campuses close. Is HISD trying to trigger that?

Oh, good grief. I just went to double check the Pearland ISD plan and they are now showing 2 different plans. One calls for campus closure at 2-5% (has a more current date) and one calls for it at 5-10%. Both are on the live website on different pages. My kids are remote so it doesn’t impact my family directly, but this has huge implications for families that made their elections based on the plan that was supposed to be final 2 weeks before school started per TEA mandate. And their election for second 9 weeks last week. And the poor teachers!

Do you know what their quarantine rules are? Are they applying only close contacts (so only students seated near or none at all) or are they quarantining whole classes and staff? We are applying the more conservative response. The only way they could stay open is if they only quarantine the positive cases?

Good for this young lady.

6 Likes

It’s from the Leapfrog group, which is probably the premier ratings agency out there. Your mom would certainly have heard of it, if she worked within the last 15-20 years. They were the very first organization to really push quality metrics as they were founded by companies who were tired of paying for employee medical care with no clue regarding the quality of that care.

When I was younger, their attitude ticked me off but they were right, and their viewpoint was long overdue. Quality can be measured, and it is fair to hold doctors and hospitals to it.

Our school (K-2) has moved from hybrid to remote for the next 2 weeks. There have been 4 cases in the past week (1 student, 3 staff cases announced). Rumor is that the teaching assistants were all eating lunch together and that caused this small outbreak in the school.

My family had previously elected the all remote option so this didn’t directly impact DD5’s learning. Though DD5 did have a lot of questions about why her best friend is being switched from morning in-person school to morning i-Pad school.

3 Likes

CDC has changed its definition of close contact. It used to be within 6 ft of an infected person for 15 consecutive minutes. Now, it is still 6 ft but a total of at least 15 minutes in a day. This is based on a case study in a Vermont prison. Just one case, though and only the infected guard wore a mask. The prisoners did not wear masks.

1 Like

It’s one thing to have one policy for every state and city (has someone really suggested this?), another thing to take a pandemic seriously and not downplay/deny it…

In other words, those 50 experiments didn’t need to include ignoring the disease or “riding it out without caution”.

1 Like

Thank you for this!

1 Like

Popping in b/c you’ll “love” this.

I just got a group text from work to the 11 of us that worked this weekend. It seems the man that was in our “overflow bed” (a/k/a hallway bed) has tested positive for covid. Older dude who didn’t have a bathroom, and had to use the hallway bathroom - meaning he walked from his bed to the bathroom, and around the unit, ALL weekend long. If we are “concerned” we can call the hotline.

I didn’t do any direct care, just chatted with him in the halls. I don’t care an iota.

He was tested routinely through the ED on arrival, but then put in a hallway bed.

Big city medicine. :wink:
We are part of vaccine trials, too.
Hello, Right Hand? I’d like you to meet Left Hand…

You personally or people in your facility? (If you don’t mind answering.)

Not me. My institution.
Some of the first in the country.

1 Like

The Reports this morning stated they have been in this 30k trial since July.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I think this had sort of been postulated already by many here? For one, I seem to recall @ryan1 perhaps explaining in one of the other threads that a few minutes here and there around positive people in the parks could add up to sufficient viral load for infection.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’m checking with a teacher friend to see if she knows.

I know it says this about close contacts, but it seems more aimed at outside of school exposure. But if that’s true of in-school as well, everyone is supposed to be masked so there wouldn’t really be any close contacts? (Assuming they are able to distance at lunch.)

Update with me: we decided to stop all the speculation and just go get covid tests tomorrow b/c it’s easy in Maryland and results are expected in 3 days. Obviously we’re hoping for 2 negatives so we can get on with our lives without worrying so much about being around our 3 kids. Today we got McDonalds and my husband and I stood at the back of the kitchen while the kids ate at the table. It seemed totally stupid. But we had a lot of people in and out of the house while we were clearing it out plus many appts at businesses where maybe 1 in 10 people were wearing a mask. It seemed typical for the person helping you to wear one while all the other office workers to not. But also in many cases the person helping us didn’t wear a mask. And we didn’t have a choice about these meetings if we wanted to get the business we had there done so we just forged ahead with our masks and our sanitizer and trying to stand as far away from people as possible. I will say however that I felt really safe at the Hampton Inn. Even when it was busy we managed to not see many people and things were clean and the grab n go breakfast was nice. We had a long stay in GA and a one night stay in NC at another Hampton.

4 Likes