Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

I am sorry about the pay cut.

Perhaps it is most reasonable just to expect everyone to provide their own PPE?

Of my friends who have done the distance learning this spring, some fared better than others. I guess my brain doesn’t understand why each teacher isn’t standing in the front of his or her classroom and broadcasting that days work. Is it because the Internet would be jammed? Is it because students don’t have enough electronics at home?

3 Likes

I have been trying to find the data of the Florida numbers and a liner helped me with this.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/action/report_archive/state/state_reports_latest.pdf

I was looking for the numbers on page two.

1 Like

I think the mask/no mask question will not be a school based decision, just like the models/class size limits will not be within our control.

Yes, school district employees will be thankful that they have jobs. I think the fear that massive budget shortfalls will be another stressor in all of our lives.

We need to look at everything through the students experience and the teachers experience. Do you start school in August?

1 Like

Can you explain why everyone is having budget cuts? I keep seeing this mentioned.

Public Schools, city services, state services are dependent on tax revenue. I am very fortunate. My district is located in a city where there are many private businesses, hotels, restaurants. Our budgets depend on revenue from meals and hotels tax on a local level (all closed), real estate taxes (many in default), state funding (based on income taxes) and federal funds (all allocated for COVID). Additionally, we have millions of added costs (increase transportation if we can’t load a full bus), cleaners, PPE…we are in trouble. Combine that with a delay on many state budgets. We don’t know where we stand.

2 Likes

I had no idea taxes weren’t static.
I thought the residents’ tax contributions stayed the same all the time. I didn’t know businesses were fluid! Thank you for explaining.

In Ohio, the governor is taking $775 million from public school budgets for the 2019-2020 school year (ends in July). Education was the first thing on the chopping block during the failing economy. We anticipate this to continue into next year.

1 Like

Yes! FY21 will be bad but FY22 could be scary for public education across the country.

I work for our county, which is tax payer funded. Businesses remaining closed and extensions on paying taxes at all levels are really hurting local, county, state and school district funding. We have heard mental health programs are getting a 10% cut from the state, at probably one of the worse times.

2 Likes

Call your older friends!

I think Mass has been doing a good job with the numbers reporting. I used to check the dashboard daily, but given the decreasing numbers, I’ve stopped.

1 Like

I got my hair cut about a month ago. Only about 3 stylists working (chairs for 12). Everyone in masks and a page long list of protocols to follow.

I also went to the Orthodontist 3 times since late April. Places that are clearly taking things seriously definitely don’t feel more dangerous to me than having to go to the store. I keep have seen the same worker inthe grocery store loading items into the cold cases. Huffing and puffing and wearing his mask under his chin. And no one else working says anything to him.

I’ve seen several stories about people wearing masks being harassed by those that are not. Calling them sheeple, unpatriotic, and further names.

Iceland and Ireland also had open schools. I think maybe I posted a link about Ireland somewhere on this board?

Then we must be fortunate here, because I have yet to hear a story of that happening here. My DH has heard a couple of instances early in the mask debate, but now, everyone seems to just mind their own business about it, at least in public.

2 Likes

NYP article has link to the cyber security company article.

1 Like

Here it is mandated, and I have heard a few people talk “loudly” when they see someone with out one. But the mandate does leave room for people who CAN’T wear masks to go without them. No one should have to share their medical information with strangers. When I see someone without, I just think they must have a medical reason not to. I would prefer not wearing them, but I am glad I don’t have a medical condition like asthma or post-radiation lungs, etc.

1 Like

We are mandated in stores and such as well, unless there is a medical issue that prevents you from wearing one. There are people without masks in the stores. I don’t know their situation, so who am I to say anything?

2 Likes

Exactly!
(I’m not contentious anyway. Everyone has a backstory.)

1 Like

Yes. We start on August 11th and the district plans to let us know what the return plan is by the end of July. I do think teachers will need to secure their own PPE which is partially why I asked about N95 masks (in a different thread).

Here’s a question I’d like to ask those of you with scientific and medical knowledge: Isn’t my daughter’s risk of infection exponentially higher because of my job working with potentially 180 unmasked students per day? I mean, I know she will have some exposure when she returns to school but I feel that her exposure will be multiplied because of my exposure, if that makes sense. In addition to her physical health and safety, I worry about her socially and emotionally. Who’s going to want to hang out with the kid who carries so much risk because of her mother’s job? This must be an issue that others with high levels of exposure to the virus have faced with their own children.

I think that my anxiety over the virus and the unrest in the country (plus the sadness of having to cancel my big June WDW trip) might be causing me to overthink things. My feelings of hope and positivity are definitely limited at the moment.

1 Like

I have to admit that early on I wondered if people would want to keep their distance from my family because I am a nurse. (Remember that when all this started we thought coronavirus would come across the country like a freight train.)
Our family stayed locked down until Easter. After that I agreed that my son was fine to drive out to visit his girlfriend and DS17 could invite his friend over. I warned both of them the other families might be concerned bc of my job. Neither were. A week or so later we had a two groups of contractors in to do quotes. Both groups knew I was a nurse and both had no reservations even though one has toddlers and none of us wore masks.