Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

I’ve never heard of Spillover, to be honest I’m not really a non fiction reader. My DH bought me The Hot Zone as he thought it was fiction - I’m not sure how much I read before I realised it wasn’t!

1 Like

That’s awful!! Over here they are allowing IVF treatment to start up again but not cancer treatment. It’s not right.

3 Likes

They were just closed and I never saw anything from them about what they were doing to keep them open or I would have helped out. They are open now, under phase 1, so will go make some purchases.

This is so heartbreaking. I cannot imagine the frustration of living in limbo with cancer hanging over your head.

4 Likes

That’s insane. Both are time dependent.

1 Like

Look up the claimed cancer cluster around Detrick,among other things.
NIH is right in the middle of Bethesda.

It’s not there anymore. The building was “sterilized”, but shockingly a hard place to lease out after that. It was torn down in the 90s. There is now a preschool there. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Preschool… :anguished:

4 Likes

I thought this was brilliant…

23 Likes

This is ludicrous! Non sensical, unintended consequence.

2 Likes

This is horrifying. Like a virus version of The Island of Doctor Moreau.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your friends dad, its a horrible thing to hear that a loved one has cancer and treatment isn’t a viable option.

My understanding is that prostate cancer is often left untreated in elderly men, as it can be extremely slow growing and treatment can be invasive and lead to other issues (incontinence, bowel problems, etc). Maybe naive, but I hope that’s the situation, that non-treatment is truly the best option for him, not due to other circumstances (COVID, etc).

3 Likes

Well he’s only 61. :pensive:
She said his treatment is on hold bc of situation.

I cry every time I start thinking about it. He’s a pastor to a little church and he takes his service to a local subsidized housing community each week. He’s such a great guy. And he has a gazillion grandchildren. :sob:

5 Likes

Well, this is big news: French doctors find a case of COVID19 from Dec. 27th:

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-05-04/after-retesting-samples-french-hospital-discovers-covid-19-case-from-december

I hope they can get the genome and put it on Nexstrain.

3 Likes

Not really a shocker. A lot of people think that this has been around outside of China before January. One question though. Why do they keep trying to find patient 0? I would think that would be about impossible considering the number of asymptomatic cases.

1 Like

They’ve traced the first known case in China back to mid-November, right? Only makes sense it was making the rounds a month or so later. With how extensive international travel is, and how contagious this virus is, I’m sure this isn’t the last story we’re going to see of November and December cases outside of China.

1 Like

I am taking of the approach of leave no stone unturned. There may be something in the original case that provides clues on how to support a cure/vaccine.

If you read the header on the Nextstrain website, you see the following:

The origin of the virus is still unclear, however genomic analyis suggests SARS-CoV-2 is most closely related to viruses previously identified in bats. It is plausible that there were other intermediate animal transmissions before the introduction into humans. There is no evidence of snakes as an intermediary.

I am intrigued by the December cases. Once they have the ability for everyone to get tested, they may be able to get our arms around this beast.

4 Likes

The Hot Zone basically talks about this when they try to track down the origin of Ebola. Stay out of caves with bats!!! Don’t touch the guano!!!

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought of when they first said it came from bats!