Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

I should show you the box of antennae we’ve tried. It’s bad. We also have trouble getting radio stations. I used to have a small TV in the “baby’s” room (the room where whichever new baby was currently sleeping). Then I could watch something during 2AM feeds. I had two stations.

I was enjoying listening to the TV on our iPad in the kitchen while I made and clean up from dinner.

My family thinks it’s a good idea I’m now cut off. Maybe they are right. Pull the plug. I was addicted to news channels 25 years ago…

2 Likes

Have you tried getting one to go on your roof or in your attic? We have one outside where the old cable line connected to the house. The best one we had DH made himself using an online tutorial out of wire coat hangers and some pieces of wood. I’m sure the neighbors loved how that looked, but it worked great. I can commiserate over the old iPad. Kiddo thought he needed more room and u installed Netflix and now I can’t reinstall it.

Triplets were supposed to have theirs tomorrow. No news on when it might actually happen. Cases here are still pretty level - not really growing but not really dropping much - so I don’t know if we’ll go. I’d be more likely to go if I had some idea of how many people will actually show up and if people will do a decent job distancing walking in and out of the building, etc.

The archdiocese here hasn’t given any indication of resuming, but we fall under a virtual diocese that spans North America and falls under Rome instead of the US Bishops. So I can understand that some places are in a better place to resume than we are.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting article. I wouldn’t use the term “only” to describe a 23 percent higher rate of claims, though.

I think people will be cautious going forward, too, as the restrictions are lifted and that’s going to prolong the economic pain. I imagine this will continue for months- or until a vaccine is available.

My state is already somewhere between phase I and II of reopening.

They’re discussing re-opening the schools but I don’t think they will.

Church services here are resuming tomorrow, but I’m not sure I’ll go because I’m high risk. If I don’t go, the family won’t go. Same for eating out. It’ll be interesting to see how much of a ripple effect this has- anyone with an at-risk person in the household is going to not want to leave that person behind or will worry about bringing an infection home. At-risk people aren’t supposed to be out and about until phase 3.

I agree that the economic pain is “deep and wide” and lifting a restrictions isn’t going to magically restore it. It will probably take years to undo the damage, but some people are forecasting that in many industries, things will permanently change, with a lot less person-to-person contact and a rethink of living & transportation situations. I’d also predict that there will be much less travel, especially international travel for a long time, which will have a big impact on WDW.

5 Likes

Facebook of all places. If your iPad can’t handle the app, the webpage maybe?

The ABC News page carries all the White House task force briefings live and then afterwards archives them in the “All Videos” section (not necessarily the Recent Videos or Coronavirus sections). They also have Cuomo and hit or miss on other states.

My local ABC channel Facebook page carries local and our state briefings.

I sometimes skip to other networks to see graphics instead of the speaker (they’ve done better on that lately) or if they cut in late or whatnot.

1 Like

There is some truly weird news around today.

First- smoking protects you from coronavirus?: https://www.thelocal.fr/20200424/france-limits-sale-of-nicotine-products-after-coronavirus-research.

WHO decides to scare people:

There is currently no evidence that people who have recovered from #COVID19 and have antibodies are protected from a second infection.https://t.co/8mWyjBILIS#coronavirus pic.twitter.com/aoWfTKBReJ

— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) April 25, 2020

COVID toes are real: Are 'COVID Toes' a Real Symptom of the Virus?

2 Likes

OMG! If those are small lesions please don’t show me big ones. Or even medium ones!

:exploding_head:

1 Like

And conjunctivitis?!

A week after my grandniece had her dry cough and high fever both my sister and I had conjunctivitis - clearly viral in nature.

I had LARGE SENSITIVE lymph glands in my neck while she had a MAJOR sore throat.

All caps is how those particular symptoms felt - otherwise we felt able to carry on. No marathons. Our symptoms lasted about a week. Grandniece had what seemed like relapses for a couple weeks.

More mystery illness - MMI

2 Likes

This seriously irritates me. Sure, there’s no evidence because it’s a new disease. No evidence against either. But if this virus acts like every other coronavirus we’ve come across, it’ll give immunity. The only question is how long? There have been some anecdotal cases of being having re-emerging symptoms after seeming to be recovered, but that’s not evidence of re-infection.

The fact that they have isolated antibodies to COVID-19 through these serology studies means that people are developing antibodies, which would point to having immunity (though it’s not conclusive). Monkeys who have been infected with the virus and recovered are immune after scientists attempted to reinfect them again. Saying there’s no evidence is correct, but the way it was said (with no caveats or context) and the way it’s being reported seems downright irresponsible.

7 Likes

Oh, I hear you!
My personal squicky thing is ophthalmology. I am living proof you can go through med school and never have to touch a living eyeball.

Agreed. I thought it was just a bizarre tweet.
And remember, this was the exact same wording they used when back in January, they said there was no evidence for person-to-person transmission of the coronavirus. I wonder who is in charge of their twitter account.

3 Likes

Some twit.

(sorry; it just begged for it tho)

6 Likes

I wonder if they’re trying to err on the side of caution rather than being sensationalistic though? So recovered people don’t become reckless until there is more certainty?

Caution is definitely the watch word.

Regardless, puns are almost always a necessity.

:blush:

eta: you should have seen the email one of the moms of a robotics team member sent out right after the FRC season was canceled. It was rife with groaner puns. She apologized - saying the more fraught the situation the more she spoke in puns.

2 Likes

I agree. I thought that the way that twitter post was worded was very irresponsible and misleading. It would have been better to say “we don’t know whether someone can be infected again”.

2 Likes

Hey - I haven’t shared an anecdote today…
:wink:

I went to another town to their Lowe’s and Walmart. M. O. B. B. E. D.
1:8 weren’t wearing masks in Walmart. Now - in some cases it was a family group not wearing them so that skews numbers. But speaking of which - lots of family groups.

Lowe’s was insanely busy. The salespeople I needed help from had masks, but they were shoulder to shoulder with me looking stuff up. Now maybe we are all only representing the 5% willing to go out. :+1:

My husband went to Home Depot and it was deserted. Went to Lowes and it was busy.

1 Like

Our HD is behind a strip mall behind a mall… poor thing is always empty. :laughing:

It was SRO at ACE hardware yesterday. I have never, ever seen it so packed. Which is weird, as it’s been open the whole time. I can only conclude that either people really were staying home (the stay-at-home order was lifted Friday) or it’s the first nice weekend and people noticed their sad lawns.

What was really alarming to me was the lack of face masks. Maybe one in 10 had one. Because it was so busy, social distancing was out the window.

I think the governor needs to communicate that the danger has not passed. I think people feel the risk is gone. Also, ACE did nothing to help the situation.

The Big Town has come out with these stickers:

At this point, I’d feel far safer in a formerly closed business than I would at an “essential” business which feels like it’s business as usual.

3 Likes

What is a happy medium?
Open but require masks, maybe?

3 Likes

My normally anti-mask spouse was even appalled. He said that the store should require masks if it’s going to be that crowded.
Or at least have controlled entry like a Louis Vuitton store. :rofl: Either way, the store should want to keep people from leaving with something they shouldn’t have.

That was really a bad spot. I’d have left were it not for having an n95 mask. And the workers should set a good example by wearing masks, but they were not.There was also no wiping down of carts, nothing.

In other news

96% of the thousands of prisoners in 4 jails who test positive were asymptomatic.

In four U.S. state prisons, nearly 3,300 inmates test positive for coronavirus -- 96% without symptoms | Reuters?

(However, like most of these surveys, follow-up to see if they do become sick is frustratingly absent).

4 Likes

Fortunately my local Ace hardware has curbside delivery, similar to Walmart and a big grocery chain. Worked like a charm recently for me when I fetched some lawn pre-emergent/fertilizer.

2 Likes