Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Agreed. And, Americans are just not good at compromise. We can’t believe that we can’t have what we want, if we just want it badly enough, and try hard enough. We’ve been told this all our lives. And especially when it comes to medical things. We just don’t give up, and we can’t accept that people will die. This is just not among the choices any of us have ever had to make. Modern medicine just can’t save us all this time- that’s a real shocker for most of us who’ve never really had to deal with death.

5 Likes

Not sure when I’ve been this happy.

8 Likes

I am so sorry! I am struggling trying to find a way to make these systems less of a burden to parents and I feel like we are failing miserably. Hugs

I think September is going to be a nightmare.
Maybe some form of summer school should be considered to keep kids from being behind for the next level?

We homeschool and I do some all year because review is a beast. :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

My mother passed away seven years ago. She had cancer, but what killed her was lung related. She just couldn’t recover from cancer surgery and her lungs just kind of started failing. We came to a point where we had to choose to put her on a ventilator or let her go. My aunt (mom’s sister) immediately said she thought we should let her go. She said my mom would not want to be on a ventilator. I think she was right and we did let her go.

When all of this started, I thought that it was time for people to make a decision about where they want to draw the line on medical procedures such as ventilation and let their loved ones know. Especially if they are elderly. Sometimes it is not better to keep people alive at all costs. I’m in my (early) 50’s and I have two girls age 17 and 20. I want you to do everything to keep me alive! They still need me and I’m willing to suffer whatever to be here with them. But if I was 20 years older? 30 years older? I would probably think differently.

3 Likes

I think that’s the hard part - everyone is trying their hardest! I know that the teachers have the kid’s best interest at heart and are using what is at their disposal. It’s just all hard. Work is hard, home is hard and there is no end in sight. If it helps, us parents do appreciate the creativity and efforts the teachers and administrators are showing. But I’m so worried that I will take my straight A student and set him back so far that he won’t be able to keep up next year.

3 Likes

My mom and I had this conversation yesterday. Her cousin that died on Good Friday was 86 and on a ventilator. In addition to COVID he was suffering from dementia and a number of other physical ailments. His wife chose to take him off the ventilator after 3 days. There are some family members that are upset with her decision. I told my mom that I am on the wife’s side. Even if he had been able to recover from COVID he still would have been living a shell of life. There comes a point when it’s not worth to me. Right now, in my late 30’s with 3 small children, absolutely do everything you can to keep me alive. But 50 years from now, nope, let me go peacefully.

7 Likes

We do review books over the summers, a couple pages a day. Found them on Amazon and they work great.

2 Likes

Next year will be different, most likely in so many ways. We also need to be prepared in case this happens again.

I need to add, your son will not be behind. It will be our job in the schools to adjust. If we have learned one thing from this I hope we have all learned flexibity!

7 Likes

I’ve only been a nurse 25 years, but I have seen a huge shift away from people being “ready to die” and far more toward “extend at all costs.” These are important conversations to be had.

3 Likes

That Terry Schiavo (sp?) case from Florida many years ago prompted the conversations in my family. Also Steel Magnolias :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think this is, unfortunately, in line with the sense of entitlement and lack of contentment that seems to have crept so deeply into our society. Also, less faith.

6 Likes

My DH is only 43 but has quite bad MS and he said last week he almost hopes he gets it and dies :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved: But if he does get it, how could I make that decision if I had to? I don’t think I could. It would be different if it was his mum with severe dementia.

5 Likes

My resort stay is 61 days from today and I’m suppose to be booking fast passes in the morning… I’m wondering if it is open what it will be like. Will things like CRT be canceled or maybe it just wont be open to the public at the time and only resort guests to limit part number… so stressful I wish we knew more.

1 Like

Here is a perfect example up in Canada.

They are responsible for a HIGH percentage of the known infections!

1 Like

I am so sorry! That must have been heartbreaking to hear.

If he is indeed sure of this though, he may want to look into having legal documents drawn up that would take the decision out of your hands. If that’s something you would want too, of course.

3 Likes

That’s really rough. I hope you don’t find yourself in that position. Hugs to you!

1 Like

43 is a pup!!!

3 Likes

I’m so sorry, that must have been so hard.

4 Likes

A friend of mine shared this slide presentation with me - it’s from someone in the Effective Altruism movement.

One slide that stood out to me is this strategy of opening the economy to low-risk individuals.

It sounds like Sweden is doing something like the Cocoon - I’m interested to see how it works out. So far it seems to be ok. The key is to figure out how to isolate the at-risk populations.

It reminds me of my hair-brained (completely hypothetical) idea in the other thread about sending all the young people to boarding schools. But since that isn’t feasible, how do you allow young people to go about their business without interacting with older people? I haven’t seen much specifically about how Sweden is accomplishing this. Anyone know?

3 Likes

Can you post names or links? I’m interested in taking a look.