Construction?

I know construction on new rides, etc. was halted when the parks closed. Has anyone heard any updates on when construction might resume, and whether ride openings might get delayed?
I am hoping that Tron will open on time for Fall 2021. We were planning a trip for the opening. But I am not getting my hopes up anymore.

I did a google search the other day and there appears to be nothing out there. My own guess is that construction of attractions will be substantially delayed. Even when the parks reopen, Disney may not want to invest in construction until things get back to the point where Disney believes there will not be a second or third surge and another shutdown.

2 Likes

Yeah, I tried to search for info too, came up with nothing. I think you might be right about construction not happening until Disney sees it as worth-while. I hope they figure out a way to speed it up once construction can resume. But speeding up construction is probably almost impossible.

1 Like

My husband is contractor for a DOD contractor and they are still working on projects. Not starting anything new, but definitely finishing whatever had already started. Of course DOD is probably considered more essential than Disney. :grin:

2 Likes

Disney haven’t got any construction going just now, and probably won’t until Florida relaxes some of the restrictions under Phase 1. Delays are inevitable, but no one knows by how much.

1 Like

Construction on projects inside the parks are on hold but several Disney World related projects continue like the rebuilding of the Mc Donalds, the new addition to the Dolphin and Swan hotel and the new college program housing at Flamingo Crossing as well as the new hotels going there.

Construction work typically is not restricted by stay at home orders.

I’m guessing that WDW put their in park work on hold to avoid bad PR.

1 Like

Bioreconstruct said this:

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1251945605267705857?s=20

Note that RCID is “Reedy Creek Improvement District,” which is the quasi-governmental organization that runs the “municipality” that Disney World is located on (providing fire, utilities, public works, etc.).

1 Like

I think it was to save money, pure and simple.

They have no idea when they can open the parks which could potentially be closed until the Fall, they have 100,000 employees furloughed and every single part of the Disney brand is shut down just now, other than Disney+ which isn’t making money yet. They are losing $30m a day.

3 Likes

I swear this YouTuber is just a kid, but my wife and I watched this video several days ago. It was actually quite interesting. Caveat: There is a ton of conjecture in this thing, and a bit of rumor mill. But the guy actually has some pretty good thought-provoking insight specifically around construction.

4 Likes

It would be nice if, once construction resumes, they fast track completion of the walkway from GF to MK as that would be in line with the goals of social distancing by providing transportation alternatives for entering and leaving the park

4 Likes

I don’t watch many people on YouTube but there’s just something about this kid I like so I subscribe. I can’t wait to watch this later (I’m at work). Thanks for posting!

Agreed, I enjoy his videos. I mean, you can tell he is pretty young and sometimes goes a bit over his head in some of his analysis, but he is quite insightful.

1 Like

Great video, thank you!